• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Juniper Restaurant

Well having read the article on Manchester Confidential, it would seem Mr R won't be returning any time soon. That, it would appear, is that.

Think I'll have to console myself with dinner at the rather wonderful and eminently more affordable Fat Loaf instead. It's a hard life isn't it!

Always hungry.

Thanks for the mention of the Loaf. I've had it on my list for ages and kept putting it off - even though there's now one just down the road in Didsbury.

Perhaps we should start a thread of good affordable places south of the river (and, yes, I know Didsbury isnt).

John Hartley

i thought this sounded like a doomed venture before it opened,

probably not the most difficult prediction i've made.

can understand manc citizens irritation at the loss of juniper but why worry about not dining in a place that by all accounts was poor, i'd think of it as a close escape with few hundred quid saved!

you don't win friends with salad

At the same time, the Maestro Paul Kitching has revealed the name of his new place, wait for it........... 21212. Reason being the menu will be two starter, a soup course, two mains, one cheese and two desserts :biggrin::blink::shock::wacko:

Apparently it will comprise a 38-seat main dining room on the ground floor featuring a floor to ceiling transparent partition to the kitchen , as well as a 10-seat private dining room and lounge on the second floor and up to four bedrooms on the third.

At the same time, the Maestro Paul Kitching has revealed the name of his new place, wait for it........... 21212. Reason being the menu will be two starter, a soup course, two mains, one cheese and two desserts  :biggrin:  :blink:  :shock:  :wacko:

Apparently it will comprise a 38-seat main dining room on the ground floor featuring a floor to ceiling transparent partition to the kitchen , as well as a 10-seat private dining room and lounge on the second floor and up to four bedrooms on the third.

and who's running the book on how long this will last?

(sorry feeling bearish today)

you don't win friends with salad

• 7 months later...

http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2009/10/02/330236/former-abbey-and-juniper-owner-gets-executive-chef-role.html

An interesting appointment. As it is quite local I will probably give it a try sometime soon, if the price is right.

I did quite enjoy my lunch at "new" Juniper. It was decent (not quite as unique as the original)- and good value.

However I did have reservations about the more costly dinner menus.

Martin