• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alcohol Abominations

sml311

Dewar's & Yoo-Hoo.

eww. Yoo-hoo tastes bad enough as it is! :laugh: who invented this chocolate-water?

my 2 cents: in Quebec, they sell this 'spirit' that is meant to be consumed as a shooter (i'm guessing by 17-21 year olds) called 'Sour Puss'. it tastes like Sour Patch Kids candies, except in a shooter. it is truly vomitous.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

the stoned dane - suc fredonia 1973

2 oz. johnny walker red

fill the glass with dr. pepper

now you know where the name came from(boyfriend at that time was a dane - and one of only a handful of straight men in the theatre department)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

in Quebec, they sell this 'spirit' that is meant to be consumed as a shooter (i'm guessing by 17-21 year olds) called 'Sour Puss'. it tastes like Sour Patch Kids candies, except in a shooter. it is truly vomitous.
the charmingly named Gorilla Snot Shot. Take a mouthful of Baileys, hold it in your mouth, then add a mouthful of Rose's lime juice cordial. Instant curdling of the cream in the Baileys. Like holding a wad of paper fibre in your mouth.

I have made your gorilla snot shots (which I know as cement mixers) with sour puss instead of lime cordial. Much, much worse.

Also, you have missed an intregal step in making the cement mixer. While the alcohols are brewing in your mouth, a dear freind is supposed to shake your head to maximize curdling and dizziness. You pick baileys cheese out of your teeth for the rest of the night.

Ah, the days when what didn't kill you probably made you wish you were dead the next morning.

In the waning days of high school we had a weekend where our fully "stocked" portable bar saw some evil concoctions. The only one I really remember was inspired by a foot powder commercial that kept coming on in the wee hours of the morning when these drinks were born. It had a gentleman on TV whose feet apparently stank so bad that his wife dubbed him "Swamp Foot", complete with the little cartoon rendering of his Swamp Thing-like feet. Of course, by the end of the weekend this guy had his own drink:

Swamp Foot:

1 part OJ

1 part Blue Curacao (ya know, cuz OJ goes with orange-flavored things :blink: )

1 part Kiwi-Lime Mad Dog 20/20 (the neon green stuff)

splash of grenadine, for depth of color

Looked and tasted exactly like it sounds: muddy swamp water. The color and the texture were truly something to behold. I'm pretty sure I still have the Mr. Boston's guide where we scrawled the recipes for some of these in the "Your Own Recipes" section in the back.

Of course this was also the weekend where I lost my bangs and eyebrows during an ill-fated flaming 151 experiment.

Dr. Pepper and Peppermint Schnapps. Called a "Dr. Peppermint" by my drunken companion. Not bad back then (I was 18), but now...

Hey, I love gin and juice. But my version is bougie...fresh squeezed organic grapefruit juice and Bombay Sapphire.

My white trash, isn't too bad combo: cheap rum and Diet vanilla Coke

My sister's contribution: Cheerwine and Zima.

Gourmet Anarchy

Gus, Yogi Berra invented YooHoo...

For the world worst drink, there are two words you need to know...Tuna Colada

In college, the bartender at the restaurant I worked at told me of his favorite drink for late night barflies. It was called a Gray Snail and basically consisted of everything that had accumulated in the speed mat, that little rubber thing the bartender puts the glasses on while he pours liquor into them. Just fold it in half and coax the contents into a glass...Darn Tasty!!

When my wife and I started dating, she and her girlfriends used to (and some still do) enjoy Amaretto and Diet Coke. It doesn't sound as bad as a Gray Snail or Cement Mixer, but it sounds horrible to me...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

greenish Chinese lizard spirit and goldschlager with a floating layer of peptobismol.

I can't decide if this or the "Tuna Colada" referenced above is the worst thing I've ever heard of. :blink:

You put that in your MOUTH? :shock:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

the charmingly named Gorilla Snot Shot. Take a mouthful of Baileys, hold it in your mouth, then add a mouthful of Rose's lime juice cordial. Instant curdling of the cream in the Baileys. Like holding a wad of paper fibre in your mouth. Seems to be something about third year at university...

We also called them Cement Mixers at the night club I worked at years ago, except sometimes we would use lemon or lime juice. People would pay $7 for it! I think most people ordered on a dare...:raz:

This thread is hilarious!

My least favorite was a trash can punch at a frat party. Red Death.

Ever Clear

151 rum

entire food service pack of red kool aid mix

several jugs of five alive

Now this doesn't sound all THAT bad (compared to tequila and buttermilk) untill you meet the really drunk and sweaty pledge with the blazing red kool aid dyed arm and shoulder who has been the "mix man" and realize that his ARMPIT was in your drink. EW!

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

In college, the bartender at the restaurant I worked at told me of his favorite drink for late night barflies. It was called a Gray Snail and basically consisted of everything that had accumulated in the speed mat, that little rubber thing the bartender puts the glasses on while he pours liquor into them. Just fold it in half and coax the contents into a glass...Darn Tasty!!

Wow, this definately wins re: the recipe and the name. Absolutely foul!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

greenish Chinese lizard spirit and goldschlager with a floating layer of peptobismol.

I can't decide if this or the "Tuna Colada" referenced above is the worst thing I've ever heard of. :blink:

You put that in your MOUTH? :shock:

K

Mmmm...Its good!!

Go here to make your own, or here to order one off the menu...

For the record, I have never, nor will I ever, drink a Tuna Colada....Just think it sounds funny.. :biggrin:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

This thread is hilarious!

My least favorite was a trash can punch at a frat party. Red Death.

Ever Clear

151 rum

entire food service pack of red kool aid mix

several jugs of five alive

Now this doesn't sound all THAT bad (compared to tequila and buttermilk) untill you meet the really drunk and sweaty pledge with the blazing red kool aid dyed arm and shoulder who has been the "mix man" and realize that his ARMPIT was in your drink. EW!

Or until you realize that the garbage bag broke and they hadn't cleaned out the trash can before they started. My sister in law says every single person at the party got sick.

Before I heard "tuna colada" the worst thing I'd hear was also relayed via SIL: Beast Floats....mmmmm...Milwalkee's Best and ice cream......mmmmmm....

Gourmet Anarchy

Well,you beat my Gin and Dr. Pepper at deer camp when everything else was all gone and we were waiting on resupplies. It was vaguely reminiscent of Castoria Children's Laxative. GACK, GACK, GACK!

I had a cocktail at BBKing's recently called the BB...something or other, it was the "house" martini, and it tasted exactly like a combo of a Blow Pop and Fletcher's Castoria.

We also called them Cement Mixers at the night club I worked at years ago, except sometimes we would use lemon or lime juice. People would pay $7 for it!  I think most people ordered on a dare...:raz:

"brains" were popular when i was in college. it was a shot of schnapps with a bit of irish cream added, it would curdle up in the glass and looked just like a little brain floating there. and the longer you waited before drinking, the firmer the brain would be.

• 2 weeks later...

My little brother insists on making himself this drink when he wants to feel like a kid: 3 parts chocolate milk

1 part Kahlua

1 part Frangelico

Somebody posted something similar earlier but with Everclear, which kinda destroys the creepyness of drinking something that tastes like it's for nine year olds. (at least i assume...never actually had everclear. isn't it illegal?)

I've always been able to buy Everclear at my local ABC store. But maybe some cities don't allow its sale....but I've never heard that though.

Wine coolers make me feel the same way. They're basically alcoholic Kool-Aid.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Or until you realize that the garbage bag broke and they hadn't cleaned out the trash can before they started. My sister in law says every single person at the party got sick.

I think this wins the truly disgusting award.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Everclear is nothing more than strong vodka. I believe it is 180 proof so it is about twice as strong as normal vodka.

If you are making a recipe using vodka it might be cheaper. Don't know, never checked.

I used to pick a friend up on the way to highschool. He often had a big glass of chocolate milk and either jack daniels or southern comfort.

Heinous stuff, but the flavor grows on you.

Hal

I've recently returned from the UK. While in Newcastle, I met with one of the editors of The Crack, the unfortunately named arts and culture magazine for the north. (It comes from their expression, "What's the crack?" for "What's going on?" or "What's happening?") Her drink of choice (and she did choose often) was Tia Maria and a float of lemonade. It was both overpoweringly sweet and flat out bizarre, what with the lemon-coffee juztaposition. I decided the drink should also be called The Crack.

Hedonia

Eating, drinking and living the good life in San Francisco