• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alcohol Abominations

sml311

As a kid (15) my friend Greg (15) had an older cousin (20) who would come to visit in the summertime - this guy was from Squamish (now a vibrant outdoors capital but back then a loggers haven and kick ass sort of a place) - the whole idea was to see which one of us young punks could impress the cousin the most - cause we weren't pussies - the drink involved many recipes but the most popular was this:

ethel alcohol : as much as you could chug

The winner was never expected to actually

keep it down though - the winner was the

one who could keep it down the longest -

mere seconds for most.

When the cousin was still sleeping we tried to mix that stuff with whatever we could to be able to keep it down. Coke, oarnge juice, ice cream, vodka, cranberry juice, beer, throwing limes and lemons into the class or soaking twinkies in the stuff.

My record was 2.46 seconds. About middle of the pack. You had to actually get it down before you puked. It was a hell of a lot more fun when you got to work the stopwatch.

Paul,

I am thoroughly impressed with your ability not to die!

SML

From a google search:

Toxicology

Causes skin and eye irritation. Ingestion can cause nausea, vomitting and inebriation; chronic use can cause serious liver damage. Note that "absolute" alcohol, which is close to 100% ethanol, may nevertheless contain traces of 2-propanol, together with methanol or benzene. The latter two are very toxic, while "denatured" alcohol has substances added to it which make it unpleasant and possibly hazardous to consume.

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Tissue: So you mean you aren't laid back with your mind on your money and your money on your mind?

PurpleWhiz: I'm guessing everyone would probably rather forget that party :wink::hmmm:

SML

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

PurpleWhiz: I'm guessing everyone would probably rather forget that party

I imagine most people did. Sadly, I remembered every last thing.

Broccoli . Daiquiri . What  how; blender? What else ? Although I know I shall regret this, I have to hear how this was made.

Just like you'd make a strawberry daiquiri, except substitute broccoli for strawberries. Blender, sugar (we weren't refined enough to have simply syrup), rum, ice, give it a whirl, end up with something truly bilious.

Marcia.

Edited by purplewiz (log)

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

PurpleWhiz: I'm guessing everyone would probably rather forget that party

I imagine most people did. Sadly, I remembered every last thing.

:sad::sad: I'm sorry!!

SML

GREEN G_DDAMMITS

A truly evil thing that can be made with gin, vodka or everclear mixed with lime sherbet and seven-up

That reminds me of a spiked church punch. (Remember those punches that were sherbet, pulp in juice and 7up??)

It actually sounds pretty good to me...maybe I'm just weird :wink:

SML

Also, while in college, during my year abroad in Slovenia, I partied with some guys from a local garage band who were partial to Vodka Slammers: cheap vodka mixed with lemon or orange soda, cover the glass with your hand and slam it on the table to make it fizz. Bad, bad, nasty headache inducer.

In China, I've commonly had something very similar...extremely strong Chinese grain alcohol (either very cheap (erguotou) or more expensive (mao tai)) mixed with Sprite (bad) or Coke (worse) and then shaken till foaming...

Something that I thought would be pretty bad, but actually turned out halfway decent was vodka and gatorade (another 3rd yr of college drink).

Edited by chengb02 (log)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Flaming Moe:

Tequila, Schnapps, Crème de Menthe, and the secret ingredient: Krusty Non-Narkotik Kough Syrup. Once the liquors are mixed, the drink is set aflame.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Also, while in college, during my year abroad in Slovenia, I partied with some guys from a local garage band who were partial to Vodka Slammers: cheap vodka mixed with lemon or orange soda, cover the glass with your hand and slam it on the table to make it fizz.

A variation on this is the tequila slammer. mixed with 7up or club soda. I've done a few of those... *whew*

A friend of mine used to call them "foamers" LOL

Born Free, Now Expensive

"Gotch," grape soda and scotch. My brother invented this drink when we were in high school and just didn't know any better.

So, by the same logic, would cranberry juice and scotch be "crotch"?

The possibilities are endless.....Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum, scotch and cranberry: "funky crotch".

Maybe add a little Stilton for "cheesy, funky crotch"....

(full disclosure: I must properly attribute the above to the brilliant wit of slkinsey)

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

"Gotch," grape soda and scotch. My brother invented this drink when we were in high school and just didn't know any better.

So, by the same logic, would cranberry juice and scotch be "crotch"?

The possibilities are endless.....Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum, scotch and cranberry: "funky crotch".

Maybe add a little Stilton for "cheesy, funky crotch"....

(full disclosure: I must properly attribute the above to the brilliant wit of slkinsey)

:laugh:

Eric,

It completely read as Sam's too. :raz:

In my old bartending days we used to try to invent real vile stuff, one night I was declared winner by far witha peppermint schnapps, chartreuse concoction. I also made a couple of martinis with sauerkraut juice instead of vermouth, however there was someone who actully like that

My sister used to work at a place where they did this too. She won one evening with a tequila and buttermilk mixture.