• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inner Circle Rum (Australia)

Jason Perlow

I recently received a sample bottle of Inner Circle Red, a newly imported rum from Australia by Spirit of Hartford, the folks that brought us Velvet Falernum, Doorly's and Foursquare Spiced.

http://www.innercirclerumusa.com/

This is an amazingly smooth rum (80 proof, also comes in 114 proof and 151) which uses the traditional and more labor intensive pot still method. Its made entirely from Fijian and Australian sugar cane.

Very buttery/butterscotch in terms of flavor profile, long and satisfying finish. Excellent neat or mixed. In Australia it even comes pre-mixed in cans of cola.

The Inner Circle brand is one which apparently dates its heritage back to the late 19th century with the Colonial Sugar Refinery's original distilleries in Australia and Fiji, but the company stopped producing rum in 1986. The brand was revived in 2000 by a well-known olympic yachtsman, Stuart Gilbert, and one of the remaining master rum blenders from its previous bottling, and some of the original "seed" yeast.

The rum has already garnered its share of prestigious awards, and I can certainly understand why.

Distributor Information:

The Spirit Of Hartford LLC

PO Box 260730

Hartford,CT, 06126

Phone: 1-860-404-1776

Web: http://www.spiritofhartford.com

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

According to SOH, the rum is currently avaliable in NY, CT, MA, RI, Chicago, Atlanta, Texas, Missouri and a few other states.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host