• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Fantasy

hathor

If anyone ever saw the episode of Home Improvement with the "Manly Kitchen" you would know exactly what I want.

Actually, I am working on what I want right now and hope to start construction in the late spring. I want an outdoor kitchen (picture a large screen porch with counters and cooking equipment rather than chaise lounges and coffee tables). My home was originally designed with one (as were all of the large houses down here of similar age) and there was certainly a reason for it. 14 ft. ceilings on both floors can hold a shitload of heat and the central cooling bills will choke a horse. By moving alot of the cooking out to the out of doors I will be able to listen to Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Louis Jordan, and anything else I feel like at top volume and also not heat up my house. Concrete floors with drains for cleaning up after boiling seafood and a new brick pit (I already have a great one (4x2, built of firebrick with multiple grates for heat adjustment), but it not under a roof and we get 60 plus inches of rain per year, so no roof can be inconvenient).

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

hathor, I know. So many things I lost because in my childish stupidity I took for granted they would be forever.

Raynickben, you are easy to please. We can find you a live John Phillip Souza concert for you to have your sprouts turn on when you make your grand entrance!!

20 ft of counter space, magic old food evaporator in the fridge, tiny robot that blasts miller moths with a tiny death ray, and a devilled egg dispenser.

I like the way you think! :biggrin: Welcome to eGullet.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I think I'd like two kitchens. One that had wide-board pine floors, ample granite counter tops, a deep prep sink, a lovely collection of pots and pans, at least two ovens, a gas range with a griddle, a beautiful kitchen garden out the back door with fruit trees and bramble, and a view of mountains. But, on days when I come home from work exhausted, I want a tile floor with a center drain, watertight cabinets and appliances, and stainless steel counter tops so I could just hose it all down and go to bed.

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

I actually like my kitchen pretty much the way it is. Assuming I had better appliances and more cabinets, all I really want is ventilation. Do not think that two huge windows are any help. If the air currents are working in one direction, all they do is blow the kitchen fumes through the whole apartment; if the other direction, we have to freeze (in winter) or submit to a veritable tornado, in order to clear the air.

Hoooboy! Let me see...

Fishtanks so that i can have my seafood fresh. I'll just buy them live and pull them out of the tank when i need to eat them, just like in Chinese restaurants. (no the lobster is not the pet)

Knives that never go blunt.

Magic antiviral antibacterial counters for food prep.

walk in freezer

big assed Viking stove

AGA oven

Big assed glass door freezer

industrial strength dish washer

floor that can be flooded and drained for clean up.

super duper lighting so that i can see what i'm doing.

mega powerful ventillation duct so the air is clear

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I take out my Acme Magic Plasma Heat Sensor. I point it at my pork butt. On the screen I see a 3-D color coded temperature profile in real time. You can also rotate the picture to check the underside of that chicken thigh.

Ok, fifi, your prayers have been answered. The wireless temperature sensing device is last millenium's technology.

Yeah... But that only measures surface temperature. I want a temperature profile all the way in... sort of like the finite element analysis programs that some of my buddies use to picture stresses and heat transfer profiles.

Damn... Now you have made me want a new toy.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Where do I begin? Lots of floor space to move around in, granite counter tops and a large island with sink. Huge stainless Subzero, six burner Vulcan, flattop, a convection oven and a wood burning oven ( it could be inside or out, I won't complain!), and all manner of fatty appliances...most importantly a Vita Mix Blender. Proofing cabinet would be nice.

a devilled egg dispenser.

Oh, god. I require two of these (one for the kitchen proper, one for the downstairs bar). I also want a container in the fridge that has a never ending supply of the tuna salad they make at my golf course. And I love the idea of the 'other' taps; ranch dressing, Batch 81 Three Chili Sauce, Guinness and Talisker should hold me over. And a little never-empty bowl of my friend Rebecca's homemade bits and bites mix.

And a pro griddle.

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

This would be in my funky beach house. Lots of counter space appropriate for my height, professional level appliances, 3 ovens, griddle, grill, etc. Gas, of course. At least two fridges and a big freezer. Double sink, not too deep. Lots of storage, custom made for how I cook (saw an article on, I think it was Flo Braker's kitchen. There was a shallow indentation in her counter for eggs, so they wouldn't roll around...brilliant!). Pastry area with marble counter. All light and airy, beach glass tiles for the backsplash, excellent ventilation (she says as she currently has to open every window and door just to sear a steak).

Mainly wood, floors and cabinets, with sea green and blue accents. Roll out shelving for easy access to pans, etc. Long appliance 'garage' for electrical toys. Lots of outlets for said toys (don't want to have to stand in the corner to use the mixer, because that's where the plugs are). Indentations in the (plank wood) floor for rubber mats in the main work areas. This kitchen is at the end of the living room, which has huge windows for the sea view. Of course, there is a small greenhouse for herbs and a few select veggies and fruits (hard to get good produce at the coast!). Oh, and a great sound system!

Basically, an Intelligently designed kitchen, to work in comfort, and minimize steps, everything in easy reach from where I'm working. Large enough to fit many friends while we cook and party.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I wish for a thunderous round of applause and maybe a marching band or two; no matter what I cook.

I grew up across the street from the parade grounds of The President's Own Marine Corps Band. From Memorial to Labor day I awoke to their rehersals :wacko: But in an ironic twist of timing, my family was usually eating Shabbat dinner just as the parade got into full swing. There are a number of Sousa marches that make me think of roasted chicken.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I'll second the requests for a wood burning oven.

But, what I would really like is the computer controlled proofer/retarder. My favorite bread recipe requires a 12 hour proof of a refreshed pate fermee, then a 4 hour proof after a second refreshment, then a 1 to 8 hour retard. The retard invariably starts in the middle of the night. I get delirious thinking about programming the 80F proof then 40F retard before I go to bed. Something like this: Proofer/retarder.

I'd like a walk in pantry off the kitchen with floor to ceiling shelves and hanging baskets for dry storage. Plenty of counter space in the kitchen, a fan that actually vented outside and not in my face, a salamander broiler and an industrial wok with a burner made by Pratt and Whitney.

Mine would be pretty prosaic, really.

A dishwasher...I've never had one.

Enough prep space. Good-sized counters, and maybe a long island with a butchers-block top, like we have at work and at school.

A smoke detector that's far enough from my stove that it doesn't go off everytime I open my oven or saute something in a hot pan. :angry: <======(pet peeve)

A double sink.

A gas stove would be wonderful. I've finally moved back to an area that has gas, and my kitchen is electric. Bummer.

A good vent hood. Something that actually draws air out of the kitchen, and is quiet enough that I can bear to have it on for more than 5-10 seconds at a time.

Lots of storage. Big bins for dry goods would be wonderful.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning