• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Short Ribs -- The Topic

mamster

If anyone's been wanting to try that Gray Kunz recipe but are scared of all the steps, there's a simplified version in Best American Recipes 2002-2003. I haven't gotten around to trying that one either, but I really want to.

Soba, I usually braise my short ribs in porter and throw in some lentils and wheat berries, as suggested by Mark Strausman in The Campagna Table.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Soba,

What looks like a great recipe in January's Gourmet magazine (pg37) calls for braising browned short ribs with ancho chilis, chipolte chili in adobo, onion, lime juice, maple syrup and coffee. Served over soft polenta.

The last time I made short ribs, I braised them with porter and onions (a la Carbonnade Flamande). Started by sauteeing about 4 onions, sliced, with salt, pepper and a large pinch of dried thyme. Browned the ribs (probably about 5 lbs). Deglazed the pan with porter (I used Anderson Valley's porter, but anything that's not overly hopped would work). Piled the onions back into the pan and covered with the ribs in a single layer. Added more porter to come up about 3/4 of the way up the ribs. Into the oven at 325 for about 2 hours (uncovered). When the ribs were done, I merely degreased and reduced the sauce, adding a tablespoon or so of prepared Dijon style mustard. Depending on the beer, sometimes the sauce requires a touch of vinegar or brown sugar, but this one was pretty well balanced on its own.

:biggrin: soba,,, have you ever used saba? its the must of the grape used foe balsalmic. its great as a finisher in a long braising dish like short-ribs or as a sauce. its the bomb mixed with a little hot sauce,,sarachi (spell check!). another addition is a little port to the juice. the sweetness and the richness of the short-ribs goes great together! im getting hungry! :wacko:

I do not know if it's worth the effort, but if you like pasta and clean-flavored soups then you can try the following approach:

Get a lot of short ribs and simmer them with water until tender (bring to simmer once and discard water and then simmer again for cleaner and clearer broth).

Keep broth and reduce to get concentrated. Add veggies or flavorings along the way if you want. I like to keep things simple so as to be able to taste the beef flavor and might just add a little good balsamic to the concentrated broth at the end.

Remove short ribs from bone and pick of fat

Saute leeks with some butter until wilted and add strands of short ribs. Season appropriately and possibly add some broth to make a smooth moist filling. I like to add a little chopped parsley to the filling at this point.

Make ravioli with wontons or home-made pasta and above filling.

Steam ravioli and serve in the broth.

You can easily vary flavorings to get a more Eastern flavor if you want.

If you are really patient, save the broth from one batch and use it to cook the short ribs again for richer flavor.

• 5 months later...

I've got two 1lb chunks of wagyu short ribs from Lobels, I'm considering smoking them but I'm not sure if thats the best use for them. Braised? Smoked? I'm looking for sugestions and recipes. Also has anyone had the wagyu ribs from lobels before? I'm not entirely sure what I'm in for with them - they are marbled like nothing I have ever seen before, I'm drooling looking at them.

boil in a bag...well at least a derivation of that.

trim extraneousfat, gristle and sinew

season the ribs with salt and crystal hot sauce and seal in a cryovac bag or suck the air out of a ziploc freezer bag and then place in another freezer bag and let rest for several hours.

turn your oven to 170 degrees for 24 hour cooked ribs or 220 for 12 hour cooked ribs

fill a pan deep large enough to cover the ribs half full with water and white wine (add onion or other spices or aromatics to the pan is well just make sure they are submerged in liquid. place the ribs in the pan bone side down and then wrap the top of the pan with two layers of plastic wrap and one final layer of aluminum foil

cook according to temperatue and time you wish

note the liquid in the pan will reduce, and the ribs will release a natural jus in the bag. when the ribs are cooked stain the liquid and chill and place the sealed bag in the refridgerater to chill as well; ideally on a flat surface with a weight on top to compress.. when the fat is congealed in the inside of the bag, open it, remove the ribs and wipe any scum off them, then strain the jus. use the jus and the white wine aromatic broth to make a balanced broth (you may want to add a splash of soy sauce) and use this broth to then glaze the ribs in a 300 degree oven. excess wine and or broth may be generated. the glazing process takes about 45 minutes.

serve with a 1970 latour (preferably magnum)

cheers

h. alexander talbot

chef and author

Levittown, PA

ideasinfood

The Lobels have developed an excellent recipe specifically tailored to the heavily marbeled, very tender Wagyu short ribs. It essentially consists of a short braise followed by marinating and grilling.

Garlicky Grilled Short Ribs

I've been tasting my way through much of the Lobels product line and will post some more extensive notes at a later date.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'd do kalbi.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Note Lobel's sells flanken-style short ribs, not English-style. They're exceptionally tender and $18.98 per pound (plus tax and shipping). I strongly suggest preparing them in a minimally invasive manner. The Lobel's recipe, while it utilizes a number of processes, actually leaves the meat well intact.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Oh. I've checked the Lobels recipe. That's how I do kalbi except for the marinade. And I usually serve for tabletop grills.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

• 9 months later...

I have made some Korean short ribs and they are great, but there are many ways to make this ignored piece of meat, many times just dropped into a pot of soup and forgotten. As with my scallops, any ideas will be welcome, and thanks.

Similar to Korean bulkalbi, but different: slow marinate w/ dark rum, lime juice, sesame oil, brown sugar and onions; bbq. If there was a Korean West Indies, this would be the national dish.

I think I originally got the idea from GQ food writer Bob Shacochis' book 'Domesticity', but my copy of the book is on another continent at the moment so I can't check the recipe.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I've cooked short ribs "Carbonnade Flamande" style, with lots of onions and dark beer -- they're good that way. One time I used a James Peterson recipe from Fine Cooking magazine that called for sherry and sherry vinegar. I'll have to dig that one out again; it was good.

In the Cafe Boulud Cookbook, Daniel Boulud has a recipe for Short Ribs Braised in Red Wine with Celery Duo (celery root puree and braised celery ribs) that is nothing short of wonderful. A link to the recipe is here at epicurious.com.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I sear and then braise with a mixture of vegetable juices (tomato, onion, celery, peppers, carrots, various herbs) and often with red wine (usually some Italian plonk or a reasonable Shiraz) for three or more hours. Then lioft out the short ribs, refrigerate, refrigerate the stock. Next day, clean up the ribs, strain the braising stock several times through a lined chinois.

I'll often have ginger and lemongrass in the braising juices if the application is going to Eastward.

I don't know if it's available in the US, but I discovered using the incredibly fruity, young wine from Cahors goes brilliantly with short ribs.

They've become the savoury equivalent of a chocolate fudge sunday in my house.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

My mother and I used to make something we called "Sunday Meat" out of the really really short ones, the under 1" ones. Marinated them in a mixture of vinaigrette and red wine, and then tossed them on the grill or under the broiler. For some reason my father never cared for this dish, so he got a hamburger, but Ma and I made serious pigs of ourselves. All those satisfying chewy nubbins.... :wub:

I'm glad you started this thread, Past, because I just made my first short ribs last night. Very very simple: I browned them in oil, then removed meat to plate. Added some sliced onions to oil and cooked until softened. Then I returned the meat and the juices from the plate to the pot and poured on about 1.5 cups of wine. I added some fresh thyme and braised them for about 2 hours. I plan to eat them tomorrow night but couldn't resist a nibble before putting them away. Perfect.

I would just like to point out that as good as short ribs are the first night, they're even better as left-overs.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs