• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Short Ribs -- The Topic

mamster

It's likely the boneless ones will cook faster than the bone on ones.  I'd put the boneless ones in about an hour after you start the other ones. 

There's no reason you can't add water.  (I don't suppose you have veal stock on hand.  :raz: )  If you have or can get some beef demi glace, you can reconstitute that into stock, but water will be ok too.  I wouldn't add more than a cup at most.  half a cup would be better.  The sauce won't be quite as flavourful, but you can fix that by adding a touch of balsamic vinegar at the end, after de-greasing and reducing your liquid. 

I just made short ribs for dinner tonight, so this thread caught my eye. :smile:

Thank you so much Marlene! :smile: I don't usually goof like that and didn't want to ruin such beautiful meat. I wish I had some veal stock hanging around or a decent beef stock. I suppose I could make another trip to the store for pre-made beef stock but because of sheer laziness, I just don't feel like it. Thanks also for the tip on how much wine to use. These are very meaty ribs with just the right amount of fat to make them succulent. Will definitely report back with the results.

Next, I think I'll attempt your French onion soup with those brilliant chunky croutons if I can dig it up from one of the old threads. I'll have to make beef stock for that. Can't remember if you used a crock pot but I was given one, a real basic one with no bells and whistles, but I'd like to try carmelizing the onions in it for the soup.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Personally I'm all about the barbeque'd beef ribs. Coat the ribs with a rub, put in a 220 degree smoker for 8 hours, and enjoy with your favourite BBQ sauce.

Another great way is to slice them really thin (1/4-1/8 inch), grill them until crispy, and serve with your favourite dipping sauce.

Thank you so much Marlene! :smile:  I don't usually goof like that and didn't want to ruin such beautiful meat. I wish I had some veal stock hanging around or a decent beef stock. I suppose I could make another trip to the store for pre-made beef stock but because of sheer laziness, I just don't feel like it. Thanks also for the tip on how much wine to use. These are very meaty ribs with just the right amount of fat to make them succulent. Will definitely report back with the results.

Next, I think I'll attempt your French onion soup with those brilliant chunky croutons if I can dig it up from one of the old threads. I'll have to make beef stock for that.  Can't remember if you used a crock pot but I was given one, a real basic one with no bells and whistles, but I'd like to try carmelizing the onions in it for the soup.

I'll dig out the recipe for the soup and send it along to you. You can certainly use the crockpot to carmelize onions, just remember it takes a long time. I'd set it on low and let them go overnight. You can make a full onion confit, or just use a touch of butter and sugar in the crockpot for regular carmelized onions.

Hmm, now I want to make some myself! :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

There's an excellent recipe for braised short ribs in Sharon O'Connor's Bistro cookbook on Page 68.  The red wine, ruby port and veal stock provide the liquid.  Just outstanding.

That sounds delicious Paul. I don't have that cookbook. Would you be able to post the recipe here? Also, as I've said earlier, I know next to nothing about wine but I've read that some port you purchase and don't drink for years but some of it is ready to drink because it's fortified. I've also heard that it's expensive. Do you have any recommendations for not too expensive, ready to use/drink port?

It's amazing all of the different recipes and alcohol recommendations I've seen for French onion soup: red wine, white wine, port, sherry, cognac. I guess it can be quite a boozy proposition and there's nothing wrong with that! I even saw one many years ago that had each person make a hole in the cheese and crouton topping and break an egg into their soup.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Here's the recipe I noted earlier. The author gives credit to Balthazar, 80 Spring Street, NYC for the recipe.

Braised Short Ribs

From Sharon O’Connor’s Menus and Music

Favorite Parisian Bistro Recipes

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

6 to 8 pounds thick and meaty short ribs

2 carrots, peeled and chopped

2 celery stalks, chopped

2 onion, chopped

6 to 8 shallots, chopped

1 tablespoon tomato paste

¼ cup all-purpose flour

1 head garlic, halved crosswise

Bouquet garni: 1 parsley sprig, 1 thyme sprig, 1 bay leaf, 3 peppercorn and 2 clove; tied in a cheesecloth square

1 bottle (750 ml) full-bodied red wine

½ cup (4 fl oz/125 ml) ruby port

4 cups (1 l) veal stock or canned low-salt beef broth

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180C). In a large, flameproof casserole or Dutch ove over medium-high heat, heat the oil and brown the meat on all sides. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a plate and set aside.

In the same pan, sauté the carrots, celery onion and shallots for 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir in the tomato paste. Sprinkle with flour and cook 3 to 4 minutes linger, stirring to scrape up the browned bits, from the bottom of the pan. Add the meat, garlic, bouquet garni, wine, and port. Increase heat to high and cook to reduce the liquid by half. Pur in the stock or broth and bring to a boil. Cover and bake in the preheated over for 3 hours, or until the meat is fork tender.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a serving dish and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Strain the sauce through a fine-meshed sieve and return it to the pan. Cook over high heat to reduce the sauce to a nice gravylike consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the short ribs and serve.

Makes 8 servings.

Here's the recipe I noted earlier.  The author gives credit to Balthazar, 80 Spring Street, NYC for the recipe.

Braised Short Ribs

From Sharon O’Connor’s Menus and Music

Favorite Parisian Bistro Recipes

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

6 to 8 pounds thick and meaty short ribs

2 carrots, peeled and chopped

2 celery stalks, chopped

2 onion, chopped

6 to 8 shallots, chopped

1 tablespoon tomato paste

¼ cup all-purpose flour

1 head garlic, halved crosswise

Bouquet garni:  1 parsley sprig, 1 thyme sprig, 1 bay leaf, 3 peppercorn and 2 clove; tied in a  cheesecloth square

1 bottle (750 ml) full-bodied red wine

½ cup (4 fl oz/125 ml) ruby port

4 cups (1 l) veal stock or canned low-salt beef broth

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180C).  In a large, flameproof casserole or Dutch ove over medium-high heat, heat the oil and brown the meat on all sides.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a plate and set aside.

In the same pan, sauté the carrots, celery onion and shallots for 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Stir in the tomato paste.  Sprinkle with flour and cook 3 to 4 minutes linger, stirring to scrape up the browned bits, from the bottom of the pan.  Add the meat, garlic, bouquet garni, wine, and port.  Increase heat to high and cook to reduce the liquid by half.  Pur in the stock or broth and bring to a boil.  Cover and bake in the preheated over for 3 hours, or until the meat is fork tender.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a serving dish and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.  Strain the sauce through a fine-meshed sieve and return it to the pan.  Cook over high heat to reduce the sauce to a nice gravylike consistency.  Season with salt and pepper.  Pour the sauce over the short ribs and serve.

Makes 8 servings.

OMG Paul that sounds fantastic! Thank you. I have most of the ingredients but I think another trip to the store is in order for this one--still need stock, tomato paste, and shallots. I'll ask the wine guy at the store to find a decent, affordable port for me as well. I will probably use 1/2 beef and 1/2 chicken stock.

Sorry for the confusing previous post. For some reason, I've also had French onion soup on the brain today! :blink:

• 3 months later...

Sharon O’Connor’s recipe is only slightly different than the one in the Balthazar Cookbook. I made the version from the Balthazar Cookbook last week. divalasvegas, I used Trader Joe's Three-buck Chuck ($3 because we bought it in NY), and chicken stock instead of veal since that's what we had in the house. Come to think of it, the port also came from Trader Joe's.

I'm my worst critic, and I have to say that it's the best thing I've ever made. I usually think of ways to improve recipes, but this one needs no tweaking. I'm sure it would have been much better with a higher-quality wine, homemade veal stock or even beef stock, but it was still amazing. Mr. Duck loves my cooking, but in the seven years that we've known each other, this is the only time he was worried that he wouldn't get his share of the leftovers!

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Sharon O’Connor’s recipe is only slightly different than the one in the Balthazar Cookbook.  I made the version from the Balthazar Cookbook last week.    divalasvegas, I used Trader Joe's Three-buck Chuck ($3 because we bought it in NY), and chicken stock instead of veal since that's what we had in the house.  Come to think of it, the port also came from Trader Joe's. 

I'm my worst critic, and I have to say that it's the best thing I've ever made.  I usually think of ways to improve recipes, but this one needs no tweaking.  I'm sure it would have been much better with a higher-quality wine, homemade veal stock or even beef stock, but it was still amazing.  Mr. Duck loves my cooking, but in the seven years that we've known each other, this is the only time he was worried that he wouldn't get his share of the leftovers!

Thanks so much for the tip I_call_the_duck about the TJ's Three Buck Chuck. I'll definitely have to try that. I actually did make the short ribs and like you this was absolutely one of the best things I have ever made in my life. Not because of my expertise mind you, but because of the great advice from Marlene on cooking boneless and bone-in ribs and the absolutely excellent recipe provided by Paul VanSavage. I didn't have veal stock or homemade beef stock so I used low-sodium beef broth. Also didn't have the bay leaves or cloves and felt kind of bad not using exact recipe Paul shared, and didn't thank him here at the time because of that, though I thanked him personally. Anyway, in spite of myself, this was the most meltingly tender, flavorful, beefy goodness that's ever come out of my kitchen. :wub: Next time I'd definitely like to make this dish but include all of the ingredients given in the recipe.

• 1 month later...

I bought beef back ribs instead of short ribs for a braise that I did last night. The meat itself seems much the same, but there was a ton of fat that I had to spoon off. It's been a while since I've done short ribs but I don't remember there being so much fat.

• 6 months later...
This is another one of those tough ones... a legend like Keller is hard to argue with, but it's not the wine itself that 'tenderizes' the meat - it's the alcohol.

Keller's red wine marinade has the alcohol cooked off, so alcohol tenderizing the meat has nothing to do with it. I'm pretty sure it's all about flavor....

On the subject of how much is "too much liquid", I don't think that exists.

Daniel Boulud's recipe, mentioned earlier, calls for three bottles of red wine, with the alcohol flamed off and reduced by half, as part of the cooking liquid, along with three quarts of beef stock. After a loooong braise (bone-in short ribs add additional flavor in the braising liquid), all this now rib-flavored wine and stock is skimmed of fat and further reduced to 1 quart as a sauce (for just 8 servings). Made it many times, blows me away every time. Cooking off the alcohol before reducing all that wine delivers intense flavor that is nevertheless integrated beautifully.

It's so profound in flavor that even at a large dinner party, it always produces a long silence of several minutes of folks eating with total concentration, forgetting for a moment that there are people around them.

Edited by Raflab (log)

gallery_24229_591_39865.jpg

Speaking of Daniel Boulard, I just made this recipe

Braised Short Ribs with Dijon Mustard which is based on the previous mentioned one. This is much simpler, with only 5 ingredients, and it came out fantastic. My pic isn't the best, but gives some idea. I made it on a Friday evening, let it sit overnight, scraped off the congealed fat and then reheated slowly and served over roasted garlic mashed potatoes.

Interesting twist w/this recipe is you reduce the wine first, from 4 cups to one, before braising.

I used a Spanish wine, a blend of Tempernillo and Cabernet.

~Pam

Speaking of full bodied red wine...what is that exactly?  Zinfendel? Merlot?  Sangiovese?  Since I'm not really a wine connoisseur I have no clue about what a dry white, full red, dry red really is.  Any tips would be nice.  Thanks.

Hello? Anyone?

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Speaking of full bodied red wine...what is that exactly?  Zinfendel? Merlot?  Sangiovese?  Since I'm not really a wine connoisseur I have no clue about what a dry white, full red, dry red really is.  Any tips would be nice.  Thanks.

Hello? Anyone?

Typically for this type of recipe I would use a Zin or Cabernet.

I agree on the Cab or Zin for red. For white, a chardonnay is usually pretty dry, or a sauvignon blanc.

Tonight I tried an Asian recipe for short ribs. Asian glazed ribs.

gallery_6080_205_106210.jpg

Marlene

• 1 month later...

I wanted to try Cook's Illustrated Kalbi (Korean ribs) recipe, so I went out to buy boneless beef short ribs. I don't think short ribs, as a cut, are very popular in Australia. When do you see them at the butchers, they're normally cut flanken-style rather than English-style.

I asked my butcher for boneless short ribs, so he showed me a slab of beef ribs and cut the bones off, leaving me with a foot-long square section of meat, which was comprised of two separate muscles, separated by a thick, hard layer of fat. The meat that came off the bones was well-marbled, as rib meat should be. However, the layer of meat above it had no visible marbling. Would I be right in assuming this top layer shouldn't be cooked in the same way as the rib meat? I'm not sure which part of the rib section it was cut from. Might it be chuck, or some other muscle that I should use for stewing? I've separated and trimmed the meat, but I'm not sure what to do with the non-rib meat. Any ideas?

Cheers! :smile:

• 3 months later...

Smoked beef short ribs with Dave the Cook’s ancho chile rub (clicky), which we read about in Rochelle “malawry” Myers’ column, reprinted here (click). We were short of ancho chile powder so I made up the difference by toasting and grinding a handful of dried New Mexico chiles. We smoked the ribs for about five hours on the WSM. The crust was delicious, but the meat remained a bit chewy. I should have fired up the WSM earlier instead of watching NCAA hoops.

Somewhat worse for wear reheated for breakfast. :smile:

gallery_42956_2536_50234.jpg

• 1 month later...

I posted a review of the C.I. recipe for Braised Boneless Short Ribs on the Cooking with C.I. thread. When they tested the recipe, the one that they made using the bone-in ribs yielded 2 C. of fat. When they used boneless ribs, they got 1/4 C. of fat. No contest.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

• 3 months later...
What is the exact temperature to take a 10 oz boneless short rib to so that it is slicing tender not shredding. I do not want to hold, so no 135 for 72 hrs etc. 170f worked good the other day.

thanks,

There's no simple answer, because collagen breakdown depends on how much time the meat spends at a given temperature. The higher the temp, the less time the meat needs to spend there to get the consistency you want. How long did it take at 170? That would be a sensible starting point.

The advantage of lower/slower approaches (to a point) is the ability to tenderize the meat while drying it out less.

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of making Dave's low-n-slow short ribs with the modification that Steven suggests here. However, I'm curious about one step in the prep: Is there a reason to tie them as Marlene does here?

ETA that I tweaked a few things in Dave's rub, using some smoked black peppercorns, both ancho and Aleppo pepper, sumac instead of oregano for pungency, and a pinch of cinammon to boot.

Edited by Chris Amirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

It depends on how you want to present them I think. If you're going to shred them, no need to tie. I like to tie them because they stay together better and I can slide them off the bone in one piece to lay over say, mashed potatoes. It's a personal thing. I just find that they fall apart on me if I don't tie them.

Marlene