• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

National Margarita Day: 2/22/04

beans

Oh what a way to start a week! Sunday Margaritas, Tuesday Hurricanes!

Here is an article from Relish with some musical thoughts on one of my favourite drinks.

Of course now that Buffet song is in my head and I'm not sure if that is something I would like to have stuck in there all day. My own sliver of paradise adored the man and his work, so yes, it could be always found somewhere, blaring, in the background of any number of establishments/docked boats at any hour of the day or night. :blink:

Few things are better than a cold, properly prepared margarita. And few things are worse than one made with cheap tequila and store-bought margarita mix.

Oh, I love that!

I guess I can withstand some Buffet. Memories of bright, hot sunny days in the midst of the grey, icey and snowy of the bitter cold coast of Lake Erie ought to be welcome right about now. I'll shiver as I make that first batch looking over the frozen Cuyahoga River from my bartop workplace watching the gulls huddling to keep warm.

I'll giggle as I remember one of my regular islanders, a rather tall and large fella, that would sneak into our secluded hotel bar (for guests only generally), do a canon ball into the pool and stroll up to one of the watery barstools, located in the pool. This was almost like clockwork and would transpire nearly every Monday when I'd tend to enjoy the peacefulness of the imported and transplanted palm trees swaying in the island breezes. Bobito, my regular island buddy, would order several margaritas and nap in the sun for a bit of a tan. His words and smile, before removing himself from the "conversation" pool surrounding my a bar to a lounge chair, always got me to laugh out-loud and prompt me to pour one for myself as well. It was quite heartfelt and sincere.

"God bless that man that first created tequila!"

Cheers!

Nice article, beans. I'd totally forgotton about that Warren Zevon song. Thanks!

Few things are better than a cold, properly prepared margarita. And few things are worse than one made with cheap tequila and store-bought margarita mix.

Oh, I love that!

Truer words were never spoken. I use the margarita in my classes to demonstrate the difference that good ingredients can make -- fresh citrus and decent tequila are an eye opener to most novice drinkers.

Happy Margarita Day y'all!

I go into work at noon and will be happy to see that our recent thaw has restored the river to aflowing and the dead fish afloating. A lovely view outside of my glass wall of sliding and removable doors surrounding the lower bar.

Clevelanders will toast to that as we watch the gulls busy swooping and feasting. It is one of the first signs that Spring is on its way. :smile:

I've picked up those lovely POM Wonderful products for some Margarita mixing variety.

Cheers!