• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gran Canaria restaurants, any experiences?

The Viking

Leaving this weekend to the partially all too touristy southern parts of Gran Canaria, and whilst I do have some first hand knowledge of good restaurants between maspalomas and Puerto de Mogan I'm still interested in reports from anyone else with nice and surprising experiences..

Wanna share?

I would be interested too in any advice. I have read about "Anthurium", in the capital, Las Palmas, "Amaiur" and "El Portalon", but have never been there since I am going there for the first time by the end of March. I read there are very good sample menus on the first two for 30-50 euros per person.

By the way, if anyone knows if there any good korean and/or thai restaurants in the island it will be greatly appreciated. I heard there is an important Korean community there but just found one korean restaurant in Las Palmas.

Thank you,

Paco

A couple more names, Paco:

In Las Palmas, Cho Zacarías (modern Canary Islands cuisine: chicken 'brik' with cinnamon, albacore filet somethered in onions). In Arucas, the town renowned for its rum distillery, Mesón de la Montaña (traditional Canary cuisine: cherne al ajillo con langostinos, which is jewfish sautéed in garlic with striped shrimp; depending on season, either baby lamb, suckling pig or kid, which wew call cabrito on the Spanish mainland and Canarians call ‘baifo’). And down south in beachland, at San Agustín beach, there's a peculiar Austrian doing what he calls 'adventure cuisine' in a restaurant called Bamira: http://www.bamira.com/ Work on your German: as you can seee, it's pretty useful!

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

• 1 year later...

Refreshing the topic, once again seeking sun and warmth, in the region of Tauro, Puerto Rico, Mogan and Arguineguin. Not looking for high end cuisine, but as before honest cooking, value for money, and the ood one out that is not too touristy.

• 1 month later...

Just back, and have had some positive experiences.

As we had tehe kids to consider as well as our gastronomically rather isolated location of the Tauro valley west of Puerto Rico, the samplings were rather limited, but here are some of the highlights:

1. Amaiur in Maspalomas: Traditional Basque cooking, solid, but not totally exciting. Faily good wine list. Excellent Gambas al ajillo with a fragrant accompanying sauce.

2. Cofraderia de los Pescadores right on the quay in Arguineguin.. Extremely fres fish, simply prepared. Fantastic baby sole a la Meuniere. My best almejas a la plancha. Fornica tables and paper napkins complete the setting, only wine worth drinking was a rather nondescript Albarino.

3. Ciao-Ciao: One of the many beach bars in the new artificially constructed Playa de Amadores. Looks like any other, but run by Italians they have home-made icecream, excellent pizzas and pastas and a great chuleton de ternera. The steal though is Sassicaia 2001 at € 105/bottle! Turned into a rather heavy lunch....

4. THE find of this year's visit: La Cantina. An anonymous location within the El Greco apartment complex in Puerto Rico, Italian influenced cuisine with a (considering the region) slightly experimental twist. Great tuna tartare with scallions, avocado and cumin. Succulent leg of baby lamb. Once again though: The wine list a fantastic collection of older and newer vintages, both Spanish and Italian. Had their last bottle of Castillo Ygay -70 which after an hour developed extremely well whilst retaining an excellent freshness, brilliant colour. At 40€ I was ready to doggie-bag any other bottles they might have had!

Just back, and have had  some positive experiences.

As we had tehe kids to consider as well as our gastronomically rather isolated location of the Tauro valley west of Puerto Rico, the samplings were rather limited, but here are some of the highlights:

1. Amaiur in Maspalomas: Traditional Basque cooking, solid, but not totally exciting. Faily good wine list. Excellent Gambas al ajillo with a fragrant accompanying sauce.

We went there and ate, but I was very dissapointed. I had an uninsipred duckbreast with a grape sauce on one side and "peppersauce" on the other. Boring. My mom, doesnt eat that much, so she skipped the starter and ordered calms in garlic sauce for her entree, but got literally only a handful of clams. Very boring. The nice waiter also missed completly on the wine he recommended. Mayby we only had bad luck.

However, we did eat at some great places and theres still a couple of days left of our vacation, so Ill post again when I have the time.

Some above average white wine is made in Lanzarote from Malvasia, verdejo and Muscat grapes.

Also look for the Vinos del Autor from Tenerife.

Next time Im there Ill check them out. I once asked at Vinmonopolet (the norwegian wine and spirits outlet) for canarian wine, but they had never heard of it...

whenever I asked for a recomandation at the restaraunts, they never suggested Canary wine...

Sorry to say, but this is not at all a good sign about the restaurants you went to. Good Canarian restaurants will be proud of their native wines and offer a good selection of them. Of course Gran Canaria makes very little wine of any interest, but the following producers have some very original, enjoyable wines: in Tenerife, Monje and Viña Norte (reds) and Viñátigo (whites); in El Hierro, Tanajara (reds); in Lanzarote (whites and sweet whites are best), El Grifo, La Geria, Vega de Yuco, Mozaga.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino