• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lotteria/ Freshness/other burger shops

torakris

Lotteria is another Japanese fast food hamburger chain, there aren't any in my neighborhood and the last time I was in one was about 6 years ago, a mention of them on a different thread reminded me of them.

here is their hamburger menu:

http://www.lotteria.co.jp/menu/burger.html

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

The long one is a rib sandwich and the one with a dark sauce is the teriyaki burger.

We are still waiting for you to make it here Chris! :biggrin:

If I could just get someone to send me for an article or TV adventure!...I would need a bargin rate on a capsule!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I'll need to go to a local Lotteria here in Korea to take some pictures when I have the time, but here are some interesting new items sold in the Korean Lotterias:

"Well-Being Burger" - this is a new supposedly "healthy" burger that catches on to the local craze on "well-being" (pronounced as "wellbing" in Korean :rolleyes: ). The hamburger bun is your standard rye bread shaped into a bun. Funny that the Lotteria marketing here says that the Finnish people are healthy because of their high rye consumption. Whether it is rye bread or rye derived liquor they consume is not made clear :smile: . The meat patty has whole green peas stuck into them to make it "healthier". The burger is then topped with a whole pineapple slice, ketchup, lettuce and mayo. Whether it tastes good or not, I don't know. I may try it and tell about my experience here if you guys want.

Various permutations of the "Rice Burger" - We now have "Kimchi Rice Burger" which is kimchi fried rice shaped into a bun and used in place of the traditional bread bun. We also have "Curry Rice Burger" which is curry flavored rice shaped into you know what. There is also a "Chajang Rice Burger" which is Chinese style chajang sauce flavored rice shaped into, yes, a bun. All these burgers are topped with meat patty, mayo, and lettuce.

Lotterias here in Korea have a bad rep because of their poor service, small portion size, and bad taste. However, the Lotteria "Shrimp Burger" is the standard by which all shrimp burgers are measured -- even MacDonalds in Korea has not been able to come up with a shrimp burger that tops Lotteria's version...

According to their website:

http://www.lotteria.co.jp/html/history_2.html

They opened the first store in Nihonbashi (Tokyo) in 1972 in the style of American fast food burger chains.

In 1979 the first store opened in Korea

in 1986 the first store opened in Taiwan

in 1994 the first store opened in China

in 1998 the first store opened in Vietnam

as of 2002 they had 1500 stores worldwide (Asia wide?), 700 of which are in Korea.....

Lotte is an interesting company - it was started in Japan in 1948 by a Korean-Japanese, the late Shin Gyeok-Ho. It didn't invest in South Korea until 1965, but since then has expanded to the point where the Korea operations outweigh the Japanese ones. In Korea, they are a full fledged conglomerate (chaebol) into hotels, department stores, amusement parks, etc.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 1 year later...

I know we have discussed Freshness Burger around here somewhere...

For a while I really liked this place, but they have introduced any new burgers in a while and it has gotten boring. They do have some really nice drinks now, actually their drink menu is much bigger than their burger menu. :hmmm:

Freshness Burger

• 8 months later...

Lotteria is undergoing some major changes this year, I guess they were tired of being the underdog....

They are getting back to the basics with their new "Straight burger" campaign. Announcing that it is time to bring back the "good ol' burger".

They are also jumping on the current health foods trend by offering 2 new sets that come in at under 400 calories each.

Tofu and hijiki burger with a 3 bean salad

Grilled chicken and ratatouille

These last two look quite good, I am almost wishing I had a Lotteria close by....

• 4 months later...

I just heard about this new burger shop that has just opened:

R Burger

Their burgers are a Chinese/Japanese style with steamed white buns. No beef but you will see the patties made with pork, chicken and tuna.

click on shop menu to see their 3 pages of menu.

I wonder how it will do...

I just heard about this new burger shop that has just opened:

R Burger

Their burgers are a Chinese/Japanese style with steamed white buns. No beef but you will see the patties made with pork, chicken and tuna.

The burgers don't appeal to me, but the Vietnamese salad roll variations are kind of cute.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 4 months later...

Ok, it isn't a burger shop but I had to show this burger from Muscle Park. It is called a Monster Burger and is in the shape of a tobibako (like the vaulting horse used in gymnastics). For those with smaller appetites there is a smaller version simply named Tobibako Burger.

It says it is enough for 3 people but at only 17cm (7 inches) in height I am pretty sure I could finish it off myself. :biggrin: That is if I could bring myself to enjoy cucumbers on a hamburger (along with gobo-burdock root).....

I can't believe that Japan has Lotteria, too! I always thought of them as Korea's answer to McDonald's. We used to have a Lotteria here in our little town but the owner decided to make the store into a 24-hour convenience store instead.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 9 months later...

Lotteria started selling "Zeppin Cheese Burger" 絶品チーズバーガー (where zeppin means exquisite) on Nov. 30 at 48 of its stores in the Tokyo metropolitan area, but they suddenly stopped selling them yesterday due to high demand. They say they will start selling them again on Dec. 7, an average of 200 per day (at each shop?).

The burger is 360 yen, and a set menu including french fries (M) and drink (M) is 650 yen.

Links to related sites (in Japanese):

http://lotteria.jp/campaign/20071130-2/index.html

http://lotteria.jp/news/20071130-2/index.html

A review of the burger (in Japanese):

http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/d-style/article...29/news071.html

Lotteria was one of my favorite burger chains when I lived in Tokyo. I think their burgers are better than others. I wish I could taste the Zeppin Burger!

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

Lotteria started selling "Zeppin Cheese Burger" 絶品チーズバーガー (where zeppin means exquisite) on Nov. 30 at 48 of its stores in the Tokyo metropolitan area, but they suddenly selling them yesterday due to high demand.  They say they will start selling them again on Dec. 7, an average of 200 per day (at each shop?).

The burger is 360 yen, and a set menu including french fries (M) and drink (M) is 650 yen.

Why doesn't Kansai get the Zeppin Cheese Burger?

Poor Kansai...we never get any respect!

Lotteria started selling "Zeppin Cheese Burger" 絶品チーズバーガー (where zeppin means exquisite) on Nov. 30 at 48 of its stores in the Tokyo metropolitan area, but they suddenly selling them yesterday due to high demand.  They say they will start selling them again on Dec. 7, an average of 200 per day (at each shop?).

Why doesn't Kansai get the Zeppin Cheese Burger?

Poor Kansai...we never get any respect!

I hope that they will start selling it in all of its stores in April 2008, as they initially planned.

• 2 years later...

Last week while reading the newspaper I noticed an ad for Lotteria introducing their new Tower Cheeseburger.

A cheeseburger that consists of 10 patties (each with cheese), if 10 patties are too much for you you can customize your burger. The base price for one patty is 160 yen ($1.75) and you can add as many extra patties you want for an extra 100 yen ($1.09) each.

I was trying to figure out what the calorie count would be on something like that but they don't list it anywhere. Their regular cheeseburger is 314 calories.

I learned about this from a TV news program.

ロッテリアは6月22日、「チーズバーガー」のパティとチーズのセットを積み重ねた「タワーチーズバーガー」を「ロッテリア」店舗にて発売する。チーズとビーフパティは1セット100円。何層でも積み上げは可能となっているが、同日から7月16日までは「チーズバーガー(10段)」を通常1,060円のところ、お試し体験価格の990円で販売する。

From here

Lotteria will start selling Tower Cheese Burger on June 22. From that date until July 16, they will offer the 10-patty burger for 990 yen instead of the regular price of 1,060 yen.

Also from the site above:

なお、気になるカロリーだが、「チーズバーガー(10段)」は1,823Kcal。通常の「チーズバーガー」(314kcal)の約6倍のカロリーとなっている。

The 10-patty burger has 1,823 kcal, six times as high as the regular burger in calories.

Unfortunately while I love cheese, I just can't eat cheeseburgers.I think I'll let someone else try this one.