• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curry leaf and gongura pickles

Rushina

"Curry leaf and gongura pickles are great with steamed rice alone.. or with anything else. "

I was surifng through old threads on egullet and found this statement in one of Suvirs posts.

1. What is Gongura? I recetly read aout it somewere else as well, How does oe make it and does anbod know if it is available in Bombay.

2. Are either of these pickles available in Bomby?

Rushina

i actually saw gonkura at my local farmers market here in Atlanta. it looks like a small cucumber, but is not at all cucmbery, i don't think.

it's a south indian thing - if you can't find it already made, the web should be an easy place to find recipes to make it yourself if you can source the vegetable.

hello rushina!i believe this is what you're looking for:roselleandhttp://linnaeus.nrm.se/botany/fbo/h/hibis/welcome.html.en]hibiscus cannabinus

other names for gongura are ambad bhaji,ambada,ambadi(life goes on lalala !)pitwa though i can't vouch for it-only know it as gongura.i do associate it most with andhra pradesh -pickle(priya and mtr are good) and the outstanding gongura chicken/mutton.

there's a site called ammas'.com that has some recipes that are pretty authentic.you can also find answers to such burning questions as'how can i turn rock hard banana cake into a consumable thing?' and other such gems -enjoy!

Edited by gingerly (log)