• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Rotisseries

woodburner

I've noticed in some food markets that sell rotisserie chickens(like at the deli) something odd. Most commercial rotisserie ovens, have shelves, that operate ferris wheel fashion, ie, the birds never spins, it just goes for a ride around the oven. :biggrin:

This usually lends itself to what looks like crispy skin, but I must admit, I've never bought one of these birds, or tasted one.

Do the types of rotiseries that consumers use at home, where the chicken spins, produce crispy skin? If so, what information can you offer.

woodburner

Edited by woodburner (log)

The chicken may not spin itself, but its orbit as such, exposes all 360 degrees of the spinal axis (around which the chicken is mounted) to whatever heating element is in the oven, which is sufficient... usually.

That being said, I've never had one. However, the Ronco set it and forget it thing does pretty good when you stuff the chicken with garlic and mushrooms. Yum!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I pick up those chickens from the grocery from time to time when I just don't have time to cook something. They are just ok. I consider them subsistence food. I haven't had one yet that has a crispy skin. It could be that they come out crisp but then get steamed in those little chicken pods.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I would offer we dig deeper into the subject of the rotisserie itself. Let's wonder for a minute, why?

I mean, let's face it, most of us can produce crisp chicken in an oven. Did for some reason, some moronic bastard, say hey, we need a chicken rotisserie?

I doubt it.

Had the chicken itself, due to all the anti-biotics shtuff, started to hinder a crisp skin in the oven?

Does a spun chicken, offer different flavor?

A few highly regarded spice companies offer Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning. :wacko:

woodburner

But perhaps the skin cannot be crispy, by definition, because the rotisserie chicken sits too long after cooking. Or worse yet, gets packaged right away into one of those sealed plastic coffins, from which nothing -- especially excess steam -- escapes. Hence, non-crispy skin.

On the occasions when I have bought one, I cut it up and reheat under a broiler flame. Voila! crisp skin.

When I cook 1 chicken in the Ronco showtime electric rotisserie, it comes out nice and crispy.

I think the supermarket chickens aren't crispy for at least 2 reasons:

they are crammed in too tightly together when they are on the spit so they don't drain properly, and then they sit in their juices in their plastic containers for awhile before you buy them.

The best rotisserie chickens I've bought are from Costco, but even those are not as crispy as the ones I cook at home.

Roz

I've always wanted one of those Ronco things :biggrin: I like toys. I've bought the occassional chicken done this way from the grocery store. There's a trick to it though. They usually cook the chickens in time for the dinner rush, so if you get to the grocery store at around 4:30, you may have to wait a few minutes, but you get one hot off the rotisserie. voila, crispy skin :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

One of the reason's I posed this question, is because I'm considering adding a rotiserie for my kettle grille. Coming in at around $100 usd, I'm not so sure it's worth the money.

I'm guessing that one key item for cooking the chickens is the size.

I can already cook a pretty good bird, without spending the extra dollars. Anybody have one of these outdoor type units?

woodburner

One of the reason's I posed this question, is because I'm considering adding a rotiserie for my kettle grille. Coming in at around $100 usd, I'm not so sure it's worth the money.

I can already cook a pretty good bird, without spending the extra dollars. Anybody have one of these outdoor type units?

woodburner

I have had one for years and I like it.Generally speaking I put larger pieces

of meat like rib roasts pork roasts tied leg of lamb and they do self baste

pretty well and the heat is even.I also like the fact that it leaves more

grill space for other items.

woodburner

I have had one for years and I like it.Generally speaking I put larger pieces

of meat like rib roasts pork roasts tied leg of lamb and they do self baste

pretty well and the heat is even.I also like the fact that it leaves more

grill space for other items.

I have also had one for years but on a longer smoker type grill rather than a kettle type. I love it. Although I usually do larger cuts of meat (lamb,beef, & goat roasts), I have done a lot of chickens. I can do 3 at one time and have great leftover roast chicken for sandwiches and the carcasses for stock. I would highly recommend for an outdoor grill add-on. When you brine the bird and have the right temp fire you can get great crispy skin on a spit

We have a rotisserie for our grill as well, and we use it all the time. Rolled prime rib, pork roasts, chickens, it's wonderful.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have bought several deli-type chickens and found them to be pretty tasty, but no crispy skin. I usually get them just for the meat - chicken caeser salad, chicken salad, quesidillias, etc, when I'm pressed for time. If I'd had time, I'd have roasted one myself, but in a pinch, they're fine. I think because they are cooked whole, bone-in so to speak. My college age kids get them because they are "real food" as opposed to something processed.

Stop Family Violence

most rotisserie chickens are badly overcooked, the tender meats get dry

and if you take a bite of the breast you find yourself inside a cloud of dust...

even though i find it anyway hard to roast an "offtheshelf" small chicken until it has a crispy skin without ruining the breast...

of course its a whole different story with birds from france (bresse) or kapuns....

they stay juicy because of the additional fat

any hint here... ??

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

I have a heavy duty rotisserie on my gas grill. heat comes from an element on the back, not below so there are no flare-ups.

I've done a few chickens on it but I must say the much easier beer can chicken is more flavourful and just as crispy.

most rotisserie chickens are badly overcooked, the tender meats get dry

and if you take a bite of the breast you find yourself inside a cloud of dust...

even though i find it anyway hard to roast an "offtheshelf" small chicken until it has a crispy skin without ruining the breast...

of course its a whole different story with birds from france (bresse) or kapuns....

they stay juicy because of the additional fat

any hint here... ??

t.

Would brining help keep the breast meat moist while still allowing for crisp skin? The oven-roasted chicken discussion seemed to favor it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

woodburner

Buy it and use it, a lot. My neighbor who cooks outside 300 days a year has a weber with a rotisserie and he does everything on it..chickens, pork roasts, all kinds of things. This is a guy who is seriously considering a caja China and who just joined a club called the Mangia Mangia Club, for serious cooks and eaters. I wondered if there is a way to retrofit my alan scott brick oven with a rotisserie.

woodburner

Buy it and use it, a lot. My neighbor who cooks outside 300 days a year has a weber with a rotisserie and he does everything on it..chickens, pork roasts, all kinds of things. This is a guy who is seriously considering a caja China and who just joined a club called the Mangia Mangia Club, for serious cooks and eaters. I wondered if there is a way to retrofit my alan scott brick oven with a rotisserie.

Brick Oven Rotiserie

woodburner

woodburner

Brick Oven Rotiserie

woodburner

That article was right on the money..so to speak. I built mine from The Bread Builder's book and it cost about $1000 and weighs closer to 10,000lbs with all the foundation. I got a couple of picture perfect loafs out of it, and pretty much lost interest. Only have used it a dozen times, maybe. I don't know. We need to do some landscaping around it anyway and then maybe I'll be motivated to spend time out there. Takes all day to fire it, tend it, and make a pizza, a roast chicken, and some roasted vegetables. I think it might be perfect for Herme's 20 hour apples, as 80 hours after the fire is raked out, it's still 110 degrees in there.

woodburner

Brick Oven Rotiserie

woodburner

That article was right on the money..so to speak. I built mine from The Bread Builder's book and it cost about $1000 and weighs closer to 10,000lbs with all the foundation. I got a couple of picture perfect loafs out of it, and pretty much lost interest. Only have used it a dozen times, maybe. I don't know. We need to do some landscaping around it anyway and then maybe I'll be motivated to spend time out there. Takes all day to fire it, tend it, and make a pizza, a roast chicken, and some roasted vegetables. I think it might be perfect for Herme's 20 hour apples, as 80 hours after the fire is raked out, it's still 110 degrees in there.

woodburner

Brick Oven Rotiserie

woodburner

McDuff,

It sounds interesting. I've got about 3 g's invested in my outdoor cooking equipment, which I truly adore and enjoy. Unfortunately being in the North East allows me not all that many months to truly get enough use.

Could you provide any photo's of your arrangement?

Here is a photo of my fairly new cooking unit, coming out of the package.

i3362.jpg

My concern with a truly woodfired oven, up here in the NE is the extreme outdoor temperature swings, from freeze to thaw. It could creat havoc on a heated masonary structure such as your oven.

I hope to hear about your experiences.

woodburner

Edited by woodburner (log)

I've found that I get the best result with respect to crispy skin by starting with a really dry chicken, preferably left to dry uncovered in the fridge overnight.

I could not agree more with this approach, and also do this when I am roasting a duck and want to have crispy duck skin. Absolutely bone dry skin seems to be a reliable way to achieve crisp skin.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I've found that I get the best result with respect to crispy skin by starting with a really dry chicken, preferably left to dry uncovered in the fridge overnight.

I could not agree more with this approach, and also do this when I am roasting a duck and want to have crispy duck skin. Absolutely bone dry skin seems to be a reliable way to achieve crisp skin.

I approach a fowl, with vigor.

Dry skin is a must. Rubbed with freshly squeezed citrus during cooking, moves things up to another level.

woodburner