• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se

rich

This works. The menu was fairly similar to ours from four days earler, although it was sufficiently different to be interesting and make me wonder what the different dishes would be like. I would have been particularly curious about their treatment of the soft-shell crab sandwich. I had a ss crab last night at Chez Sophie in Saratoga that was as good a one as I've ever had - perfectly fried and crispy with a fantastic lemon-butter sauce.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I went to the Time Warner Mall today. Tourists in shorts were walking into Per Se and walking out with menus, so I gave it a try.

During lunch service, the hostess' main duty is to keep tourists from barging into the dining room. I did see Leslie give out menus and offer to let them see the space after service is over.

I went to the Time Warner Mall today. Tourists in shorts were walking into Per Se and walking out with menus, so I gave it a try.

During lunch service, the hostess' main duty is to keep tourists from barging into the dining room. I did see Leslie give out menus and offer to let them see the space after service is over.

This might also explain why you are told when making a reservation that shorts, jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers are NOT allowed.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

This might also explain why you are told when making a reservation that shorts, jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers are NOT allowed.

Do they really say that?!

They were very polite about it, but yes, they made clear there is a dress code.

And to think I was planning on wearing a belly-t, ripped jeans and paint splattered sneakers. :raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

That says something very interesting about different restaurant cultures around the US and, one supposes, the world. I could never imagine walking into a place like Per Se in an outfit that included shorts, jeans, t-shirts, or sneakers.

--

That says something very interesting about different restaurant cultures around the US and, one supposes, the world. I could never imagine walking into a place like Per Se in an outfit that included shorts, jeans, t-shirts, or sneakers.

But, to be fair, many people couldn't imagine putting a place like Per Se in what is, ultimately, a glorified shopping mall. I think jean shorts are a natural side effect.

The Amateur Gourmet

www.amateurgourmet.com

But, to be fair, many people couldn't imagine putting a place like Per Se in what is, ultimately, a glorified shopping mall. I think jean shorts are a natural side effect.

I've given thought to the location issue, but considering they don't take walk-ins and the only way you can get a table there is to make a phone call 60 days in advance, we're not talking about diners who walk in right "off the street"

This is where we as mostly middle class people can't really stay in the game that rich people are playing, and why the media tend to be uncomprehending about issues of price in the luxury markets...

The upper middle class can certainly compete with the rich in terms of dining. I am not so sure about oceanfront estates in Palm Beach :smile: . Robyn

We may come up against definitions of fuzzy terms, Robyn. I recall that surveys have shown that something like 80 or 90% of Americans think they're members of the "middle class." That's funny if you think about it.

Michael aka "Pan"

Can someone help me out with the reservation confirmation telephone number. We have reservations on Saturday and my new pocketpc didnt sync up the data properly. Also, what is the rule for confirming? I seem to recall its 48 hours ahead of the reservation...

Thx

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

just printed the menu and looking forward to my visit in july. i have a question. why are some words in the description of the courses in parenthesis? "confit" haricot vert" some are preparations and some ingredients

just printed the menu and looking forward to my visit in july. i have a question. why are some words in the description of the courses in parenthesis? "confit" haricot vert" some are preparations and some ingredients

From a casual look at the menu as well as with the knowledge of the way quotation marks have been used by others (you are talking about quotation marks and not the brackets which enclose a parenthetic word or phrase, are you not?) I'd guess it was because The preparations or ingredients are being used in some highly imaginative way and that the author of the menu is taking some liberty with the generally accepted meaning of the word.

"Oysters and Pearls" - You will not really get "pearls."

"Confit" of Field Rhubarb - Although confit is used with great abandon by many chefs, you're not getting confit of duck or goose as might be implied by the word.

I didn't see "haricot vert," but I didn't look very hard. I would add that Keller seems to use quotation marks where others might not. I can't explain why it's a "Cappuccino of Forest Mushrooms" and just a "Confit" of Tomato rather than a "Confit of Tomato" or "Capuccino" of Forrest Mushrooms.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

just printed the menu and looking forward to my visit in july. i have a question.  why are some words in the description of the courses in parenthesis?  "confit" haricot vert" some are preparations and some ingredients

From a casual look at the menu as well as with the knowledge of the way quotation marks have been used by others (you are talking about quotation marks and not the brackets which enclose a parenthetic word or phrase, are you not?) I'd guess it was because The preparations or ingredients are being used in some highly imaginative way and that the author of the menu is taking some liberty with the generally accepted meaning of the word.

"Oysters and Pearls" - You will not really get "pearls."

"Confit" of Field Rhubarb - Although confit is used with great abandon by many chefs, you're not getting confit of duck or goose as might be implied by the word.

I didn't see "haricot vert," but I didn't look very hard. I would add that Keller seems to use quotation marks where others might not. I can't explain why it's a "Cappuccino of Forest Mushrooms" and just a "Confit" of Tomato rather than a "Confit of Tomato" or "Capuccino" of Forrest Mushrooms.

yes, i did mean quotations. it just seemed odd to me, but will not dampen my enthusiasm. not going until july but will throughly read every post until then.

it just seemed odd to me, but will not dampen my enthusiasm.

It doesn't bother me either. Let's call it poetic license.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I had the opportunity to experience Per Se Friday nite. I will use the word experience as that is what it was. I will post a fuller review later, as well as post some pictures of the dishes that I had.

I am writing for a different reason and would like to understand the experiece of other gulleters. Let me get to my point.

My friend and I had opted for the 9 course tasting. She had asked for some substitutions, (a seafood dish for the meat dish) and I had aslo asked if we could do the 2x2 ( have two different dishes for each course) Our waiter/captain noted our requests, and went back to the kitchen to ask the chef if it was possible. He came back and noted that the 1x1 (i guess it's a 1x1 if there are just two of us and not a 2x2) would be an additional $100 per person.

I was ok with this. After speaking with the sommelier regarding the wine pairing and our price range, the meal ensued. And it was excellent.

My question here is, have others tried the 1x1, 2x2,3x3 and if so, what was the premium? I have read in other places that some have been charged $50 per person for this premium? Is that the case? If so, this is distressing. Why is there a difference in price strategy here?

Again, let me reiterate, that the meal was amazing, but if it is true that the premium for being 'VIPed' ( and yes, I know it is a service, and I should be happy that they are willing to accomodate) is arbitrary, then that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Would like to understnad other's thoughts in this. Thanks.

Allister

I had aslo asked if we could do the 2x2 ( have two different dishes for each course) Our waiter/captain noted our requests, and went back to the kitchen to ask the chef if it was possible. He came back and noted that the 1x1 (i guess it's a 1x1 if there are just two of us and not a 2x2) would be an additional $100 per person.

That's bizarre. We had the 2x2, and the additional charge was only $20.00.

I had aslo asked if we could do the 2x2 ( have two different dishes for each course) Our waiter/captain noted our requests, and went back to the kitchen to ask the chef if it was possible. He came back and noted that the 1x1 (i guess it's a 1x1 if there are just two of us and not a 2x2) would be an additional $100 per person.

That's bizarre. We had the 2x2, and the additional charge was only $20.00.

I'm aghast. That's outrageous! Why would they do something like this? It's almost like the soup nazi. No soup for you! $100 for you.

On a side note - an additional $20 per person. That's awesome! Was that including foie? Or was the foie supplement $20 as well?