• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se

rich

. . . .

We had decided to take my parents to Per Se, as a way of thanking them for all of their help on a variety of things over the past few months.  The morning of our reservation, my wife and I found out that we were, in fact, pregnant. 

. . . .

What a lovely gesture. I'm jealous. Actually, we've been the recipient of similar thank you's. I just wanted to let you know that in the future they may be just as happy to babysit while you go out to dinner. Really. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

So Ive been dying to go to Per Se for a long time now, despite some of the reviews Ive read that suggested it may be a waste of money. And now since I have finally returned home to NY (Ive been in Boston for school), I would like to secure a reservation sometime before I return to Boston. Ive been trying (unsuccessfully) the past week to get a reservation (I know the drill, 10am + 60 days/2 months). Can anyone offer any tips on how to get a reservation for 2? Is it worth it to try for a waiting list? From what Ive read, Per Se only has one true 2 top, which I imagine would only be seated 1-2 times/night. I only know one other person who would go with me, would it be worth it to try to scavenge for 2 more? Would that make getting a reservation easier?

I have split off the discussion on lobster cookery to a new thread of its own in order to keep this topic on Per Se and to develop more discussion on this apparently controversial question that is clearly not limiteed to Per Se.

Thank you for your understanding :smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

So Ive been dying to go to Per Se for a long time now, despite some of the reviews Ive read that suggested it may be a waste of money. And now since I have finally returned home to NY (Ive been in Boston for school), I would like to secure a reservation sometime before I return to Boston. Ive been trying (unsuccessfully) the past week to get a reservation (I know the drill, 10am + 60 days/2 months). Can anyone offer any tips on how to get a reservation for 2? Is it worth it to try for a waiting list? From what Ive read, Per Se only has one true 2 top, which I imagine would only be seated 1-2 times/night. I only know one other person who would go with me, would it be worth it to try to scavenge for 2 more? Would that make getting a reservation easier?

If you really want to go, perhaps a few eGers could get together and get a larger table. I am in if it is the weekend or a holiday.

Cheers

Percy

I know that they take they have one table for 8 to 10 people in a private room that overlooks Central Park. They take that one table up to one year in advance, so no two month to the day policy. :biggrin:

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

You don't have to like everything I make, but you still have to eat it.

A Co-Worker from Work

Also, I saw my old next door neighbors last night. They went for the husband's birthday and had the tasting menu. They told me that the oyster and pearls was their favorite.

It happened to be mine also. However, there were other parts that were just as excellent or exceptional: foie gras terrine, truffles, bread, and service!

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

If you really want to go, perhaps a few eGers could get together and get a larger table. I am in if it is the weekend or a holiday.

Cheers

Percy

Sure, after I save a few hundred dollars and pounds! :laugh:

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they do - call the restaurant for more information, though.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

....that corkage was $75.....

Ouch. Thanks. Have to get a reservation first though but if I do I may decide to pass on BYOW. I guess that may be the objective.

officially left egullet....

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made it to Per Se for belated birthday dinner#3. After finally experiencing this restaurant, I think that it is obviously an excellent restaurant but not necessarily head and shoulders above the other NYC 4-star competitors.

I dined there last night, July 20, the first night of service after their closure in the middle of July.

Everything appeared to be running smoothly and service went off without a hitch. My only issues with service were so slight that they're hardly worth mentioning here, and, in general, every aspect of service was certainly up to par with other top NYC restaurants.

I know that discussion of the space and room has been covered before, so I will my keep my impressions brief. Firstly, I enjoyed the space that the room afforded very much. The decor is clearly modern and urban chic, but tastefully done. My sister still enjoys the opulent, yet ungaudy feel of Daniel, but I think that Per Se is more quintissentially New York.

I also like how there are no bad tables. The almost circular amphitheater feel of Daniel seems to be somewhat exposing for those seated on the lower level. The seating at Per Se offers diners both full on window seats or a raised, more private second level that allows one to look out across the room and onto the park and skyline. I would be hard-pressed to

choose between the two. With all respect to Jean Georges, a restaurant I've been dining at with more and more frequency, it cannot compare with Daniel or

Per Se on the decor front.

July 20's Tasting Menu included the following:

Salmon Cones - A great starter. Beautifully controlled balance of salmon and mild onion flavors with excellent mouth feel.

"Oysters and Pearls" - Everyone knows of this dish, and for good reason. Probably the best cooked oyster I've ever had.

Confit of Fennel Bulb Salad - Pure, subtle flavors of licorice and early summer vegetables. Delicate sweetness from poached figs that was not at all over powering.

Pan Roasted Fillet of Atlantic Halibut - Marvelous

color and elegantly straight forward presentation. Stark white halibut with a perfectly golden crust on one side. Brandale (salt cod) cake had strong salt, perhaps too much for some, but I loved it. I am usually not a huge fan of salt cod but the assertiveness of this cake greatly appealed to me.

Sweet Butter Poached Nova Scotia Lobster - I inquired as to whether this was still being precooked sous vide, as this method caused a good deal of controversy

on this board. Indeed, the lobster is cooked sous vide and finished in a light butter poach. I was

especially excited to try this dish, as this dish was the inspiration for a six pound lobster I recently prepared. Anyway, this was an excellent dish, but the lobster consomme was the true star of the dish. Such strong, pure flavors. No guise of extraneous spices

or seasonings with an amazingly rich but deceptively simple flavor profile. Finally, I can see how some might find the lobster difficult to cut but at no point did this hamper me. The meat was exceptionally tender and flavorful.

Aiguillette of Libery Valley Pekin Duck Breast - A surprisingly hearty and masculine rendition of duck breast and bing cherries. This dish was most evocative of highly elevated bistro cuisine. As I was eating this, I wondered what type of beef course would follow this very savory duck course. Ultimately, the decision to serve a decidedly more savory and less sweet duck was not a bad decision, as the beef course to follow was exceptionally rich and earthy.

Snake River Farm's Calotte of Boeuf Grillée - As far as American or European beef goes, this was spot on. Although it did not have the delicate tenderness and flavor of true-Wagyu, the richer, beefier flavor of this dish was perfectly suited for this dish. The sauce that accompanied this beef was on the same revelatory level as the lobster consomme. It was neither too thick or heavy, but it exploded with truffles and the aroma of roasted animal bones. In direct contrast, the crispy bone marrow was subtle in flavor, picking up the the aroma and flavors from the sauce below, but offered a great contrast of textures.

Brin D'Amour - This cheese/light salad course was a clean and simple end to a series of highly focused and intense savory courses. The sheepsmilk cheese was good, though not on par with other cheeses I had recently sampled. Still, the sweet, acidic tomatoes and cool cucumber help to settle the palate in preparation for dessert.

Strawberry Sorbet - A fascinating yet confusing dish. Intensely sweet and fresh strawberry sorbet was paired with a strawberry olive oil sponge cake. The dish exhibited good depth of flavors for a dessert and relatively convincingly paired sweet and savory in an unconvetional fashion. This olive oil cake was much more delicate and finer than previous renditions I had sampled and helped make this dish a a puzzling transition between the preceeding savory courses and rich dessert courses to follow.

Snickers Bar - A rich dessert made up of a series of powerful, distinctive, yet familiar flavors. The flavors of peanut butter, milk chocolate, caramel, and nougat were all separate components of the dish but combined very strikingly. This is the type of dessert that you dive into with large forkfuls, mixing as many as the different components as one can fit in his or her mouth.

Various mignardises followed: creme brulee for the ladies, apricot pot au creme for the gentlemen, shortbread cookies, sea salt caramel truffles, various chocolates (of particular note were the passionfruit, basil, and balsamic vinegar), and a bag of macaroons to take home.

All in all a striking meal, especially when looked at retrospectively. Although the cost is certainly very expensive, Per Se is definitely a restaurant that every "foodie" should experience at least once. The small details in regards to service and food are more focused here than any other restaurant. To me, Per Se is about extreme devotion to food and coaxing the very best out of the very best ingredients. It does not try to elevate food through cloying overmanipulation but simply presents the very best in the best way possible. In this realm of dining, price and value cannot be at the forefront of one's mind; one must simply enjoy the passion behind the food that is being offered.

Finally made it to Per Se for belated birthday dinner#3.  After finally experiencing this restaurant, I think that it is obviously an excellent restaurant but not necessarily head and shoulders above the other NYC 4-star competitors.

It's set apart by it's size, much smaller than Daniel, and by the fact that you have to have a tasting menu and spend a larger than large sum. It's my belief, based on experience, that if you spend the same sum at Daniel, especially if you call ahead and let them know you want the extended tasting menu (not available on weekends) you will get as good a meal, maybe better. Most people who compare the two, are comparing a $175 dinner with perhaps a $100 or $125 dinner.

I know that discussion of the space and room has been covered before, so I will my keep my impressions brief.  Firstly, I enjoyed the space that the room afforded very much.  The decor is clearly modern and urban chic, but tastefully done.  My sister still enjoys the opulent, yet ungaudy feel of Daniel, but I think that Per Se is more quintissentially New York.

I also like how there are no bad tables.  The almost circular amphitheater feel of Daniel seems to be somewhat exposing for those seated on the lower level.  The seating at Per Se offers diners both full on window seats or a raised, more private second level that allows one to look out across the room and onto the park and skyline.  I would be hard-pressed to choose between the two.  . . . .

It's okay, you're not going to get a lot of sympathy having that dilemma. That probably goes for someone having to choose between Per Se and Daniel. I tend to agree with the idea that there are no bad tables at Per Se. I think there's a rule of thumb that says the larger the restaurant, the greater the chance of getting a bad table. That said, and although I'm not inclined to disagree that a table on edge of the balcony at Daniel is an excellent table, most people consider the lower exposed level as the preferable place to be. I find the whole concept of good table and bad table an interesting one and I've known of people who have changed their minds about there they want to sit when they learn which seats are considered preferable by others, or by the staff. It's quite like picking an apartment by the zip code or telephone exchange rather than local amenities or the view.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Thanks for the detail Brian...

So how did you end up securing the reservation?

The old-fashioned way. I was trying to swing a connection I had for earlier in the summer but that never materialized, so I simply got on the phone 2 months before the day I knew them to reopen at about 9:58 AM and redialed like crazy. My word of advice is stay on the phone even if you can't get through. I was getting busy signals for quite some time and still managed a reservation.

Bux, you raise some very good points. In terms of table quality, I was simply speaking from my experience and preferences. As for the comparison between Daniel and Per Se, perhaps overall I would be more inclined to dine at Daniel because it is easier to get a table on shorter notice and costs somewhat less. Still, Per Se is an amazing restaurant that I can find few faults with. It is somewhere people should try to experience if they have the means.

. . . . Per Se is an amazing restaurant . . . .

That's a statement I can easily support. At worst, it's in a class where subjective taste, more than any objective criticism, is going to make it a diner's favorite or not. It's a thrilling place to have a meal.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Thanks for the detail Brian...

So how did you end up securing the reservation?

The old-fashioned way. I was trying to swing a connection I had for earlier in the summer but that never materialized, so I simply got on the phone 2 months before the day I knew them to reopen at about 9:58 AM and redialed like crazy. My word of advice is stay on the phone even if you can't get through. I was getting busy signals for quite some time and still managed a reservation.

Bux, you raise some very good points. In terms of table quality, I was simply speaking from my experience and preferences. As for the comparison between Daniel and Per Se, perhaps overall I would be more inclined to dine at Daniel because it is easier to get a table on shorter notice and costs somewhat less. Still, Per Se is an amazing restaurant that I can find few faults with. It is somewhere people should try to experience if they have the means.

do people go to dinner to find faults???

Edited by mugsy (log)

Undoubtedly, a lot of people do. And the greater the reputation of the restaurant or the higher the bill the more likely that is to be the case.

Bill Russell

The point I was trying to make, and this may have been lost through the course of the discussion, is you can't let small faults be magnified by price. Yes, I look at my dining experience in very minute detail, which some might interpret as looking for faults, but, as a whole, if one goes into Per Se with a humble attitude and is willing to disregard, at least slightly, the cost, it is very difficult to have a bad meal there. (That was a run on sentence)

Edited by BryanZ (log)

The point I was trying to make, and this may have been lost through the course of the discussion, is you can't let small faults be magnified by price.  Yes, I look at my dining experience in very minute detail, which some might interpret as looking for faults, but, as a whole, if one goes into Per Se with a humble attitude and is willing to disregard, at least slightly, the cost, it is very difficult to have a bad meal there.  (That was a run on sentence)

True, but at the level of top NYC restaurants cost must play a major factor. And to say it would be difficult to have a bad meal is not much praise for a top tier establishment.

A couple will spend an average of $700 for dinner at Per Se and at that level they deserved to be wowed.

If that same couple is spending $50 for dinner, they can't expect the wow factor to be significant. So the question becomes the wow factor. How much more do I expect to be wowed for $700 versus $50 or $250. Only the individual can make that choice.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Undoubtedly, a lot of people do. And the greater the reputation of the restaurant or the higher the bill the more likely that is to be the case.

This is probably starting to get off-topic and if it goes much further probably deserves to be moved into its own topic. Nevertheless, I will say that I do not go to a restaurant like Per Se or ADNY or any other looking for faults. I go looking for and expecting an enjoyable meal. Unfortunately, sometimes faults find me. They are then duly noted and occassionally (depending on the fault) reported on. Certain faults are more likely to efect my perception of my experience more than others depending on the type of restaurant I am in and its cost. I am more likely to accept a service faux pas in a less expensive restaurant or a restaurant with great food. I am more likely to accept food mistakes if they are well handled on the service end. If I am spending $500-1000pp I am not too likely to look kindly on any faults :raz: Fortunately for me, my meal at Per Se over a year ago was pretty faultless.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz