• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se

rich

If you want to do something different than the salmon cornets, ask for the vegetarian (tomato) ones. Also, if you really want to make sure you aren't eating all of the same dishes, you could always call TFL, tell them what you had at per se, and explicitly ask for something different. I seriously doubt that they would mind at all.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

If you want to do something different than the salmon cornets, ask for the vegetarian (tomato) ones.  Also, if you really want to make sure you aren't eating all of the same dishes, you could always call TFL, tell them what you had at per se, and explicitly ask for something different.  I seriously doubt that they would mind at all.

Great suggestions... assuming I can get reservations later this spring, I was actually planning on calling ahead to let me know know that I'd like to have/not have certain dishes that I had/hadn't experienced at Per Se.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I have a few questions that can probably be answered by many.

I noticed that the menu that robert40 posted on mouthfuls at TFL features a different dish for his wife and him at each course. Am I to expect different dishes for everyone at each course at Per Se (or some overlapping, but mostly different)? Is there anyway to ask that we all receive the same/different dishes? I remembered that is how both Anthony Bourdain and Mark Ruhlmann described their meals at TFL - but I figured that was just because they were VIP'ed. But, not sure what the format is at Per Se.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I have a few questions that can probably be answered by many. 

I noticed that the menu that robert40 posted on mouthfuls at TFL features a different dish for his wife and him at each course.  Am I to expect different dishes for everyone at each course at Per Se (or some overlapping, but mostly different)?  Is there anyway to ask that we all receive the same/different dishes?  I remembered that is how both Anthony Bourdain and Mark Ruhlmann described their meals at TFL - but I figured that was just because they were VIP'ed.  But, not sure what the format is at Per Se.

u.e.

We were invited to the French Laundry for that meal.

Robert R

Figures!! :laugh:

I guess I'll just have to settle for dining with the "masses" off their "regular selections." :raz:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Figures!! :laugh:

I guess I'll just have to settle for dining with the "masses" off their "regular selections." :raz:

u.e.

Keep in mind that many of those "masses" consider their regular selections to be the best in the world. I have no doubt you will have a fabulous dinner and will not be disappointed.

Robert R

Keep in mind that many of those "masses" consider their regular selections to be the best in the world. I have no doubt you will have a fabulous dinner and will not be disappointed.

I hope you caught on that I was majorly jokin'! :wink:

I'm sure I'll be very impressed. I"m gettin' really excited!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Historically, if you requested a "one-by-one" tasting (for 2) or a "two-by-two" tasting (for 4), per se would attempt to accomodate the party by making sure that 2 people got entirely different dishes, or that each couple of a foursome got different dishes. The first time we went, we asked for this, they indicated they would do it, for something like an extra $85-$100 per person. If you check way, way upthread, there are a bunch of posts on this.

I do not know if they do this any more, but as with all things, it's probably better if you call ahead and ask and see what they can do for you. Of course, for enough money, you can have just about anything.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

• 2 weeks later...
1 - question: Is the $30 supplement for foie gras worth it?

What you get is excellent. Given that you're already committed to spend a minimum of $210 (before beverages & tax), what's another $30? I suspect that most Per Se patrons order the foie gras, unless they have other reasons besides mere cost (i.e., they don't like foie gras, or have ethical issues with the way it is farmed).

Indeed, I suspect the moral issue is the reason why foie gras is the only dish on the whole menu that carries a supplement. I mean, they're already giving you lobster, caviar, and (when in season) truffles on the chef's tasting menu, so why is foie gras the only supplement? I suspect it's mainly to give a "humane" option to those who object to eating foie gras on principle.

And for those who have been looking to get a reservation... I've been looking on Opentable and have seen many 5:30 sittings open for a month and more in advance.
None are available right now. Edited by oakapple (log)

I suspect that most Per Se patrons order the foie gras, unless they have other reasons besides mere cost (i.e., they don't like foie gras, or have ethical issues with the way it is farmed).

Not true, at least not for my party. We were there this past week and none in my party ended up ordering the foie gras... a few of us opted for the non-supplementary option instead of the foie. I, personally, found a complimentary course from another menu and asked if I could have it instead... they gladly obliged with no supplement - it wasn't foie, but I was pleased as punch.

Indeed, I suspect the moral issue is the reason why foie gras is the only dish on the whole menu that carries a supplement.

Hmm... not true either - at least for the day I was there. The chef's tasting had another supplement - an Australian Wagyu beef course that was a $100 supplement and had to be ordered by two.

I mean, they're already giving you lobster, caviar, and (when in season) truffles on the chef's tasting menu, so why is foie gras the only supplement? I suspect it's mainly to give a "humane" option to those who object to eating foie gras on principle.

1. I guess as of last week, lobster is no longer in season... (or at least not put on the menu if they are...), caviar is, and the only truffle I remember was a tiny sliver in one of the meat courses on the chef's tasting... wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for the fact that it was noted by the server and it was rather conspicuously placed. Not a complaint - just an observation/reportage.

2. Again, foie was not the only supplement available on our menu.

3. Re: foie as a "humane" option - personally, I don't think that's why the foie is a supplement instead of offered on the menu as a regular. If it were purely an issue of humanity, I think that Keller would just offer it as an option over another option on the course with no surcharge. I think the fact that P.S. makes it supplement dish is because it's an "extravagance" and needs to be noted as such at a restaurant of its status... that's just my take.

Will give full details of my meal in a week or so.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Indeed, I suspect the moral issue is the reason why foie gras is the only dish on the whole menu that carries a supplement.

Hmm... not true either - at least for the day I was there. The chef's tasting had another supplement - an Australian Wagyu beef course that was a $100 supplement and had to be ordered by two.

That was very unusual. I've been picking up sample Per Se menus off-and-on since the place opened. Foie gras is the one and only supplement that is always there on the 9-course tasting menu, and usually there are no others.

"3. Re: foie as a "humane" option - personally, I don't think that's why the foie is a supplement instead of offered on the menu as a regular. If it were purely an issue of humanity, I think that Keller would just offer it as an option over another option on the course with no surcharge. I think the fact that P.S. makes it supplement dish is because it's an "extravagance" and needs to be noted as such at a restaurant of its status... that's just my take."

As an explanation, that sounds good...but if going to a restaurant like per se isn't an extravagance in and of itself, i don't know from extravagance! when dining at most restaurants of this leve,l foie (along with caviar, truffles, lobster, etc.) tends to be a given on the menu...not just a supplement.

Question: Our server described one of our two butters in lengthy detail. It comes from a farm (Vermont? Oregon?) where the woman who owns the farm makes the butter from her six cows exclusively for Per Se. Can anyone identify the farm?

Thanks!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Question:  Our server described one of our two butters in lengthy detail.  It comes from a farm (Vermont?  Oregon?) where the woman who owns the farm makes the butter from her six cows exclusively for Per Se.  Can anyone identify the farm?

Thanks!

u.e.

Animal Farm.

http://www.animalfarmvt.com/

Thanks Robert!!

Right, Orwell, Vermont - I had "O" and "V" in my mind... "O"regon obviously was supposed to be "O"rwell, "V"ermont!!

:raz:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Unfortunately there is a bit of misinformation about who is serving Diane's butter. There is a small restaurant in a boutique hotel in Pagosa Springs, Colorado that has had the pleasure of providing this butter for the past three years.

You can see the butter as it arrives on our food website,Ideas in Food, or see the place where it is servedKeyah Grande

Thanks,

Alex

h. alexander talbot

chef and author

Levittown, PA

ideasinfood

Diane also provided her awesome butter to us at the Jackson House while we were in Vermont. We were introduced to her by ChefG at Trio, who was using her prodict as well.

Graham Elliot

@grahamelliot

www.grahamelliot.com

Diane also provided her awesome butter to us at the Jackson House while we were in Vermont.  We were introduced to her by ChefG at Trio, who was using her prodict as well.

... so to clarify, I was misled when our server told us that the Animal Farm butter from the six cows were exclusively produced for Per Se? :unsure:

Or, did they mean to say that on the farm, there are six cows set aside for producing butter exclusively for Per Se? :unsure:

It's really not that big of a deal to me whether or not the butter was "exclusive" as long as it is good quality. However, I would be concerned if a restaurant starts misrepresenting themselves...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I think there's a surcharge for the butter from those six cows - $42. And if you want butter from one specific cow (your choice) it's $137. That's why all the cows have names.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I am not sure who is currently using her butter, but when I moved back to Chicago and asked if we could use her product at Avenues, she said that all of it was going to be used by Chef Keller (between the Laundry and Per Se). She may in fact be selling to others, but I think they are her main clients. Even better than the butter, if you can find it, is her ricotta. It is unlike anything I have ever had!

Graham Elliot

@grahamelliot

www.grahamelliot.com