• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starbucks Burr Grinder

birder53

I picked up my grinder last night - can't wait to use it this weekend! The regular price was $125. The sale price was $99 and they threw in a free bag of coffee. A sign in the store said the sale was going on through March 16, 2004.

KathyM

If it's this model

Starbucks Barista Burr Grinder

you got a good price. It's actually a rebadged Solis Maestro - generally considered to be the least expensive burr grinder on the market that delivers a consistent enough grind to be used with decent espresso machines. It's a great grinder for drip and press pot coffees also.

Th only possible snafu you may run into is static in the dosing bin where the ground coffee collects. I never had that issue with my Maestro but those who have experienced it advise that washsing the dosing bin once or twice with warm soapy water and letting it air dry will eliminate the problem.

Hang onto your receipt - the Maestro is in general a very reliable grinder but int he unlikely event you need servcie durign the warranty period - Starbucks (despite their many flaws) has a stellar reputation for good customer service after the sale on their espresso and coffee equipment.

I bought one of these last year, or maybe two years ago for the same price - also on sale from $125. It's a great grinder, mine served me well until I upgraded and now it's in one of the fly-over states with my brother, grinding his coffee every morning.

it's in one of the fly-over states

Oooohhh.... you left coast guys just have to rub it in, huh?

The good news is that I'm in one of your "go-to" states but the bad news is that I'm in the frigid and snowy part of the state that is not on most people's list of places to visit (except Melkor.... bwah ha ha.... who must come here on occasion to keep Ms. Melkor happy :laugh: )

The grinder in question is the Solis 166 and not the Maestro. The Maestro is a newer model and can be bought for about the same price. I would go for the Maestro. It is better designed, has a better motor, and is quieter . The Maestro Plus is the newest model with the same design as the original Maestro but has a heaver base and a few more grind settings