• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Man Who Doesn't Eat In Restaurants

Jinmyo

Considering this guy has an issue with people looking at his food, I wonder if he ever accepts invites to other people's homes for meals.

What I wonder is if anyone ever invites him.

Noise is music. All else is food.

What I learned from this article is that I am among the worst unabashed peerers. I never thought about it before, but next time before I peer I'll stop to ask myself if it will bother the eater. And then I'll peer.

Then Mr. Glustein's purpose has (inadvertently!) been fulfilled ....

We, who could not discern the true message, are now duly experiencing deep inner satisfaction .. we have learned even more than we had set out to discover .... :laugh:

and, yet another bonus: the page had as one of the two sponsors:

http://www.socialanxiety.com/

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I peer at food, too. I always take my glasses off when I eat, but if I sense/smell a good dish going by, I put them on and peer at that dish. I try not to do it if it's already landed in front of someone, as I imagine that a bespeckled dame suddenly staring into their dinner might unnerve them (Who knows what she's looking for? Did she see it move?). I have, however, stopped the server and ask what the dish was, so I know it for next time!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Stupid people question #(forget it, the no.s are getting too high): Who is the source of the evil eye? I mean, like is it people, or divine? Cause it seems if it's divine in origin, using a misspelled name won't do a whole lotta good. And if it's from people, what are they doing ? Just sitting around waiting to find folks to "eye" on?

Wikipedia doesn't have a Jewish slant, as Pan correctly notes, so you may just want to look at this link to see a more uniquely Jewish approach to the subject:

http://kabbalahclub.com/prevarticles/EvilEye.html

Jewish karma actually ...

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks, you two. That's fascinating. I never could understand all the old timey pictures of little boys looking like little girls. But that certainly makes sense. I will have to read more about this. I've already got two Jewish cooking books lined up to check out tomorrow.