• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[PDX] St. Honore

I mentioned this place in another thread. I'm not sure how new it is, but I can't find mention of it in the Oregonian, Willamette Week, Citysearch, eGullet, or Chowhound.

It's at 2335 NW Thurman. It's an artisinal bakery with French style loaves. They also have several pastries. They have several sandwiches including paninis plus do "tonics".

The quality on the stuff we tried seemed pretty good. Another of the many artisinal bakeries in town.

It's larger inside than Pearl or Ken's, yet itt was slammed on Saturday. All the chairs were taken and the line almost went out the door. Several actual French people there, too. I didn't realize there were that many French people in all of Portland.

Anyone else tried this place, yet?

Yup, we went there on Saturday. The bread and sandwiches were good, but I thought the pastries were just "OK" (particularly the croissants, which seemed more bready than flaky). The exception to this were the choquettes (sp?) - small, delicious balls of choux pastry sprinkled with a bit of sugar. We bought a bag of 12 just before getting in the car to drive back to SEA. I asked my SO if she thought they'd last to Olympia - she wasn't hopeful. In the end, they were gone somewhere around Vancouver, WA. Very very tasty - I'll definitely be trying to make those at home.

- S

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I had an annoying experience at St. Honore today.

Decided with all the bakery interest that I'd try to put out a guide on my website on the artisan bakeries in town. Went to St. Honore to take some pics and try out some more things.

While my wife finished up her sandwich, I went to take some pics. I've taken pics in *lots* of restaurants of all kinds, including places like French Laundry. They've always encouraged it, proud that someone would want to take pictures.

However, today, someone came up to me and asked me to stop and said they don't allow pictures.

WTF? No pics at a bakery? Sure, their stuff looks cool, but hell, if I wanted to steal the presentations, I'd spend $25 and get one of each of their breads and take as many damned pictures as I want. As it was, it just came off rude and inexplicable. It's really left a bad taste in my mouth. I imagine it will de-prioritize them for me when Ken's and Pearl are so close.

I didn't have a chance. But what does it matter, really? The only justifiable reason I can see to stop my picture taking would be if I was bothering customers or in the way. Neither was the case. I was trying to be as subtle as possible to not draw attention to myself. When he came up to me I was quite close to the breads and out of the way of anyone. I was also not even using the flash. Interestingly, a person walking past me through the door at the time turned to their partner and commented on the lameness of making me stop taking pictures.

I bet the no photo policy is more common than you think. Take a look at Phaelon's food blog - he was shut down by Wegman's in NY from taking pics. Why would a huge food store like that care? No one knows but they apparently have a strict no photo policy.

FWIW - without knowing who you were or your intent I guess I might be suspicious about a stranger taking pics at my place of business - I would ask tho before making you stop.

I did get asked why I was taking pics at Su Casa Imports in Hillsboro. I think it was because I was taking a pic of their carniceria counter and they might have thought I was going to complain to the health board or something. I told him that it was just for a food travel website and he said okay and I took a bunch more pictures.

I go on food trips and always take a camera. It's never been a problem before. I'm trying to think if anyone has ever asked me to stop and I can't think of anyone. The ladies in Mexican fondas will sometimes be embarrassed and not want me to take a picture of them, but I've never had an issue with taking a picture of food before. They've always been proud.

Anyway, I won't let it deter me. I often ask permission when it's not busy or when it's dark and I need to use flash. I don't want to get in people's way or annoy other patrons. But I'll stick with the motto that it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

• 2 years later...