• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[PDX] One good restaurant please !

Fish

OK, PDX'ers, we're coming down for a couple of nights and need a good place to go for dinner. Nothing super-high end, just well executed neighbourhood food. We'd normally hit Cafe Azul, but ... *sniff*. Oh well, at least we get to have dinner with the Archibalds.

I'm also looking for good bread - I've heard Portland has some kick-ass bakeries. Where where where ?

- S

If you like ethnic and Latin flavors, I'd suggest Andina.

Bakeries:

Ken's

Pearl

Grand Central

Le Honere

I'm not sure if that name's correct on the last one. I went there this weekend but they were out of menus so I didn't bring one home. It's rather new, I think. I couldn't find any info on the web, though it doesn't help that I can't exactly remeber the name.

EDIT: It's St. Honore (makes sense since it's also a patisserie) and it's at 2335 NW Thurman.

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

Or Bewon. I don't think there's anything like it in Seattle. Good neighborhood places kinda depend on the neighborhood. Ken's Place is a nice spot in Hawthorne (different Ken from Ken's Artisan).

Grand Central is no different than what you get at the GCs in Seattle, so I'd skip it. I adore Ken's bread. His pastries are ok and expensive (not bad, mind you, but not as out of this world as the bread). If you decide to have a snack in the shop, I recommend the croque monsieur, it's good, and piled high with Niman Ranch ham. He also carries mariage freres teas, for very reasonable prices by the pot (and they're properly brewed in a Chatsford tea pot as well).

For more on the sweet side, there is Pix patisserie, which I always take out of town guests to. Good stuff. And if you're by Powell's, check out mio gelato.

regards,

trillium

As a soon to be fromer PDX-er....

Ditto on the Pix and Kens

3 Doors Down Cafe

Fusion on Division is good eats, but the service takes a lifetime (I took my grandparents there last September, it took us almost 90 minutes to even get a salad!)

for good Mexican go to La Sirenita on Alberta

On a seperate diatribe-type note, please please please PLEASE for the love of god and all that is right in this world don't let anyone take you to the Laurelwood Public House! It copies all the things that are wrong with McMennamins and (I like kids as much as the next gal, but...) the screaming kids will kill your appetite IMMEDIATELY! Also, I have a personal vendetta against Slavador Molly's for replacing my beloved and mournfully missed Sweetwater's Jam House. But the foods fine... I just hate them personally.....

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

But you do get to toss your peanut shells on the floor at SM's (thus, if you're wearing sandals, it's S&M's). And the taco with the kalua pork...mmm.

If you go to Bewon (which is my favorite Asian restaurant in Portland, and possibly my favorite Asian restaurant I've been to anywhere, or a close second to Arun's in Chicago), get the fixed price dinner. Well worth it and makes a truly wonderful experience.

Jim, you should just make your disclaimer part of your sig: "I sell olive oil to pretty much every decent restaurant, so don't call me a shill, please."

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

But you do get to toss your peanut shells on the floor at SM's (thus, if you're wearing sandals, it's S&M's). And the taco with the kalua pork...mmm.

If you go to Bewon (which is my favorite Asian restaurant in Portland, and possibly my favorite Asian restaurant I've been to anywhere, or a close second to Arun's in Chicago), get the fixed price dinner. Well worth it and makes a truly wonderful experience.

Jim, you should just make your disclaimer part of your sig: "I sell olive oil to pretty much every decent restaurant, so don't call me a shill, please."

Oh, no dont get me wrong.. there is nothing wrong witht the concept, food, atmosphere, etc of SM... Im just a child licking her wounds over losing a beloved friend

I am just going to defend Laurelwood for a sec here. IMHO it is a vast improvement over McMenamin's. Sure if you don't want to eat with kids that can be an issue but the beer is way way better than McMenamin's and the food is a vast improvement as well.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of McMenamin's but have you had a burger there recently? A hockey puck and a small one at that - their fish and chips have gone downhill - even their beloved fries are not as good as the ones at Laurelwood - the garlic fries are killer.

Laurelwood is no gourmet shop but for what it bills itself to be - a kid-friendly brew pub - it is better than most.

I am just going to defend Laurelwood for a sec here. IMHO it is a vast improvement over McMenamin's. Sure if you don't want to eat with kids that can be an issue but the beer is way way better than McMenamin's and the food is a vast improvement as well.

Maybe I'm just getting tired of McMenamin's but have you had a burger there recently? A hockey puck and a small one at that - their fish and chips have gone downhill - even their beloved fries are not as good as the ones at Laurelwood - the garlic fries are killer.

Laurelwood is no gourmet shop but for what it bills itself to be - a kid-friendly brew pub - it is better than most.

I would never eat a burger at a McMennamins.... ugh.... depending on the individual restaurant, the food can be good to gross (I like Ram's head on NW 23rd, they have it together there).. it's gone downhill...

The food at Laurelwood is good and they have a great stout, but I was overwhelmed by the kids running around screaming. Maybe it's an incentive to drink more.

The food at Laurelwood is good and they have a great stout, but I was overwhelmed by the kids running around screaming. Maybe it's an incentive to drink more.

It's usually an incentive for me to drink elsewhere, which is why I avoid Laurelwood. I hate out of control loud kids running around and that place is one of the worst in that regard. The food isn't that good for me to go back!

Oh, another place I haven't seen the likes of in Seattle would be Corbett Fish house. Transplanted Wisconsoners that do a better fish fry than what I ate outside of Madison.

regards,

trillium

For what you describe, I would second the Buckman Bistro. We had the perfect, I mean perfect, half roasted chicken there. Everything else was great, and the place is small, comfortable, and inexpensive. Two of us ate very well, with a moderate bottle of wine for $55.

the usual disclaimers apply, but any of these fit your request. I'd recommend clarklewis.

We hit clarklewis on Thursday night - it was fabulous. I really like the menu, and being able to order small and large versions of each item - one of my favourite restaurants in S Africa was doing that years ago, and I never figured out why no-one here was doing it. Everything looked so good, and we finally settled on:

Bread and butter (kind of a pain that you have to order and pay for bread, but not a big deal)

Artichoke salad (thinly sliced raw artichokes with parmesan and lemon juice)

Minestrone soup

Lamb for me (small order = one chop !)

Squab for my SO

A side of carrots.

Everything was very, very tasty. We liked the ambiance and decor. And it was very reasonably priced. After our meal at Zoe in Seattle on Wednesday night, we were delighted with how light all the dishes were. All in all, a great recommendation - thanks Jim !

We also hit the Pearl Bakery several times (we were staying nearby), as well as Ken's and St Honore (the choquettes are amazing !). We also got to have a few tidbits from Cafe Azul (*sniff*).

Lovely town you have there - we'll be back, if only for the bakeries !

- S