• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Memorable Montreal restaurants from the past

SteveW

Another omission is the old Atlantic Pavillion which in its' heyday (the 1970's and 80's) was fantastic.

Yes, it was. I remember my parents taking toute la famille there for many special occasions. Thanks for reminding me of some wonderful food, and a couple of birthday parties.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Vivre,

I remember Pan Pan very well. It was a favorite of Sir George Williams University(now Concordia) students. Terrific pastries - especially the flourless chocolate cake. It was the first coffee shop that I was exposed to. I believe that it was a full service restaurant as well. Unless my mind is confusing it with another place, I remember them as having wonderful wienerschnitzel.

It was really handy for Sir George students, since the back door of the school faced Pan Pan. More often than not since it was a just a few yards, students would go to Pan Pan without coats and boots even in those horrendous Montreal winters.

Porkpa

I have fond memories of The Continental restaurant on de la Montagne ~ especially the welcoming amuse-bouche everyone received, the Georges Salad, their French Onion Soup (among the best in the city, imo) and their chocolate mousse was just heavenly.

Ah yes, I do miss the oldies discussed here.

I recollect Pam Pam very well.

I loved the Gza-Gza Gabor look-alike or at least "sound a like" that welcomed you to the restaurant.

The cold cherry soup...the flourless cakes as others have commented...and the Irish Coffee that I ordered as a minor with "teatotaler" parents that somehow passed under the radar when I was taken there for my birthday.

Mind you that was at about the same time you could wander over to Crescent Street past the bikers to check out the "used vinyl" on sale there before it became the current version.

The other meals during my McGill days in the '70's will be left unsaid <smile>

Edited by merlin (log)

Quite a few of these past restaurants I've never heard before, or only know by the name. Any local books, magazine articles, and/or newspaper pieces that come to mind over the years, who have covered the history of one or some of these Montreal restaurants? Maybe an old Montreal restaurant guide would have background on many of these restaurants.

-Steve

Odd that none of us has mentioned da Marcello (in the premises now occupied by La Gaudriole). It was one of those places that could make even February seem bright. Warm welcome – as of the second visit, you were one of the family – and dish after dish of wonderful food, understated as befitted its Tuscan heritage but full of flavour and executed with real finesse. The squid-ink tagliatelli in red wine and squid sauce remains the best pasta I've eaten in a restaurant. And the nextdoor take-out shop was a treasure; I can still taste a roasted boned chicken stuffed with polenta, porcini mushrooms and pistachios they once offered. The prices were reasonable, too. God, do I miss Marcello's cooking! Nothing has quite filled the void. Anyone know what became of his wife and son?

Anyone with memories of the original Moises steakhouse? Was it located at its current location? My understanding was that it was a very small restaurant & non-descript, like the Schwartz's deli.

-Steve

Hi guys: Im a first time poster, and I was wondering if anyone remembers "The Kon Tiki" it was downtown near Simpsons strore but not on St. Catherines, and i think it was in a hotel? I remember going there a few times and they served fancy drinks

And also does any one remember Di llalos in ville emard on the corner of Monk. I believe that was the original one before they started opening up other ones. I realize that could not be considered up there in the great dining catagory but those burgers were soo good... especially the "buck burger" all dressed with hot peppers

Edited by rocler (log)

Hi guys: Im a first time poster, and I was wondering if anyone remembers "The Kon Tiki" it was downtown near Simpsons strore but not on St. Catherines, and i think it was in a hotel? I remember going there a few times and they served fancy drinks

Welcome to eGullet!

If memory serves me correctly the Kon Tiki was in what is now les Cours Mont Royal...

We used to get hammered on the "Polynesian" drinks in the funny cups. Can't recall ever eating the food though :wacko: