• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dried apricots

torakris

I was going to dice some for a fruit salad type thing one time and it was such a PITA I ended up just doing enough for a garnish. Does anyone have tips on dicing those sticky things?

I spritz the knife with a bit of pam then wipe it with a napkin. If it looks like the knife blade is losing it's slickness, I rub it down with the greasy napkin.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I was going to dice some for a fruit salad type thing one time and it was such a PITA I ended up just doing enough for a garnish. Does anyone have tips on dicing those sticky things?

I spritz the knife with a bit of pam then wipe it with a napkin. If it looks like the knife blade is losing it's slickness, I rub it down with the greasy napkin.

Blovi:

Great tip. I'm a doofus who has been using multiple napkins all these years! Sometimes it is good to be slapped in the face with you own stupidity!

As for the 'cots, I like using them, with some prunes, raisins, dried cherries, etc. in a compote. A little, warm, over ice cream or pound cake can really warm a winter's night. It also adds an amazing amount of dietary fiber!

I've posted my compote recipe somewhere, but I can't for the life of me, find it. It was probably in a PM, if it isn't in a post. If I find it, I'll put it here.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I have had great success making these apricot souffles which call for rehydrating dried apricots, then pureeing them and mixing with egg whites. I use the recipe from the New Basics cookbook, but it has also been featured in Gourmet magazine. It also helps that you can make the base up to two days in advance and fold in the egg whites just prior to baking.

At least this will take care of some of your apricots.

Ruchi

Apricot Souffles with Vanilla Rum Creme Anglaise

6 ounces dried apricots (about 1 1/2 cups)

1 1/2 cups water

3/4 cup sugar plus additional for coating ramekins

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon dark rum if desired

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

5 large egg whites

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Accompaniment:

Vanilla rum crème anglaise

2 cups half-and-half

1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise

5 large egg yolks

1/4 cup sugar

1 tablespoon dark rum, or to taste

To make the apricot soufflé:

In a heavy saucepan simmer apricots, water, and 1/2 cup sugar, covered, 20 minutes. Transfer hot mixture to a food processor and purée until very smooth. Force purée through a fine sieve into a bowl and stir in lemon juice, rum, vanilla, a pinch salt. Cool purée completely. Purée may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered,. Bring to room temperature before proceeding. Transfer purée to a large bowl.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter 7-ounce (3 1/2- by 1 3/4 - inch) ramekins and coat with additional sugar, knocking out excess.

In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat whites with pinch of salt until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar and beat whites until they hold soft peaks. Beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, a little at a time, and beat meringue until it just holds stiff peaks. Whisk about one forth meringue into purée to lighten and fold in remaining meringue gently but thoroughly. Ladle batter into ramekins and bake soufflés on a baking sheet in middle of oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until puffed, golden brown, and just set in center.

Remove ramekins from oven. With 2 forks pull open center of each soufflé and pour some crème anglaise into each opening. Serve soufflés immediately.

To make the vanilla rum crème anglaise:

In a small heavy saucepan bring half-and-half just to a boil with vanilla bean and remove pan from heat. Scrape seeds from bean with a knife into half-and-half, reserving pod for another use if desired.

In a bowl whisk together yolks, sugar, and a pinch of salt and whisk in hot half-and-half in a stream. Return custard to pan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thickened (170°F. on a candy thermometer), but do not let boil. Pour sauce through a fine sieve into a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally. Stir in rum. Chill sauce, covered, until very cold, at least 2 hours and up to 2 days. Makes about 2 1/4 cups.

Cook in a small amount of water and puree apricots--should be a thick puree. Chill and put one cup puree in a mixer bowl with one cup of heavy cream and whip. I've found you can whip a cup of cream with lots of things like puddings and citrus curds, lots easier than folding in the whipped cream.

Use as a filling for cakes, cake rolls, Pavlovas, etc. Make up a big batch of puree and store in the freezer in 1 cup portions. Without cream, may be used as filling for cookies and coffeecakes. Also a base for scrumptious ice cream, don't forget the almond flavoring.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Granola

for some reason, when I use raw oats for granola, it tastes best to me with slivered dried apricots and a generous amount of sesame seeds (the Japanese toasted type) mixed into it. Unfortunately the kids have discovered my private supply, and a batch no longer lasts as long as it used to...

I use diced dried apricots as part of the filling for hamantaschen (3-cornered pastry eaten at Purim time.) I just stir the dried fruit into some apricot preserves.

The apricots soften up during baking and the filling is more substantial and less overpoweringly sweet. Using the dried fruit also cuts down on the amount of times when the filling cooks up and out of the hamantaschen.

Jayne

I feel as though you ought to be able to do something with dried apricots poached in a floral white wine, a pinot gris or gewurz, or the like. Maybe serve it with fresh pears and cheese? Or in a sabayon?

Is half an idea better than none? :unsure:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

I like them poached/stewed in white wine or orange juice with warm spices (cinn stick, cloves, peppercorns, allspice berries--choose 1 or more) and a few strips of lemon zest. Boil down the liquid to a light syrup, then adjust seasoning--I usually add a bit of lemon or lime juice, maybe a bit of honey. Nice simple dessert with ice cream or yogurt, and works for a light breakfast too. Sometimes I'll do other dried fruit with the apricots (figs, prunes, cherries).

You can sub diced apricots for raisins in lots of quick breads and desserts. I particularly like them in rice or bread puddings. One of my favorite yeasted coffee cake fillings is 1/3 dried apricots, 1/3 golden raisins, and 1/3 toasted walnuts, chopped fine, with cinnamon, sugar, and butter.