• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dried apricots

torakris

On my last trip to Costco I picked up a bag of dried apricots for snacking. However the 1 kg bag is still more than half full and my family is sick of them.

What can I do with these?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

stuff 'em with goat cheese (or bleu) and top with a pecan half...drizzle with some honey spiced up with a little cayenne or chipotle if you like. mmm

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

The New Basics cookbook has a wonderful, simple recipe for dried apricots with chanterelles. I've used it with great success as a sauce for both chicken and pork tenderloin.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Soak them in boiling water to plump and the puree to make apricot butter. You can use as cookie filling . Another thought is use in a bulgur pilaf -- heat oil in saucepan, add chopped onion and carmelize. Add 1 cup bulgur and stir for about 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant. Add 3 cups boiling stock, ground ginger, and diced dried apricot. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for about 15 minutes.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Eat them with stinky cheese? I like them with the date-expired Norwegian Ridder that sometimes goes on special at Daiei. It has an especial funk to it - camembert too mild and creamy (though that's good too), blue cheese too sharp.

Note: you can't put apricots and cheese into your mouth indiscrimately. You have to have the cheese on top, apricot on the bottom. This is really important.

Make these delicious Turkish Apricots Stuffed w/Cream

Soak 1/2 lb of apricots in water for at least 1 hr or overnight. Drain them and make a simple syrup with equal parts water and sugar--1 1/4 cups each. Add lemon juice to syrup; then 1 Tbs rose water. Add drained apricots and simmer for 10-15 minutes; let cool.

Slit each apricot and fill with mascarpone; garnish with finely chopped pistashios

(This is adapted from a Saveur recipe).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

In Iranian cooking, apricots are considered to be the natural accompaniment to lamb (just like that grotty mint sauce is in England). Try them stewed with the lamb; or in a rice pilaf served with a mild curry. Both are excellent.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Another thought: poach in a sweet wine such as sauternes or late harvest reisling with a vanilla bean.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Kristin: does your family like granola? Here's a thought -- use it one of these days for granola. The problem with this idea is that most granola recipes make A LOT of granola, so perhaps you'll have to wait for a period of time when your family isn't sick of the stuff.

Soba

keep the ideas coming! :biggrin:

These all sound wonderful, I like the idea of combining it with cheese or doing dessert style dishes, that one with rose water sounds wonderful and I have a small bottle that has yet to be used (I think that may be my next question!)

Granola, my kids might go for that and it could make a great breakfast and make my morning easier....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Mediterranean style -

A garlicky dip for toasted pita

Good thick greek yoghurt (or drain some plain american style through a cheesecloth lined strainer for a couple of hours)

Minced garlic

Slivered dried apricots

Pinch of salt (to taste)

Mix well, cover and refridgerate. The longer it sits in the fridge the more the apricot flavors the yoghurt

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

This is too funny. I was rooting around in the fridge last night and way in the back I found this 3 pound bag of apricots. I got it at Sam's ages ago and it gets lost, gets found, I snack on a few, then it gets lost again. I think the damn things are reproducing in there. But they are still fine, so all of these ideas may help make them GO AWAY!

I was going to dice some for a fruit salad type thing one time and it was such a PITA I ended up just doing enough for a garnish. Does anyone have tips on dicing those sticky things?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

fifi,

dicing is too ambitious for me.

getting down to slivers is enough.

my best results are basically from constantly rinsing knife in hot water to reduce *goop* buildup.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

WHATEVER you do,

don't sit down to watch tv and absent-mindedly eat the entire bag. :blink:

And if you do,

DON'T call your doctor father later to ask his opinion of your suddenly very upset stomach...

:laugh::laugh:

Not that I'd know anything about that. :huh:

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous