• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Made Pasta

A Balic

When making home made egg pasta, it is a source of annoyance that it always looks white or even slightly grey, if oxidation sets in. We use many free range eggs, to the point that the raw dough looks bright yellow, yet after cooking it turns white when cooked. What is going on here, is it ment to look like this and the commercial stuff is dyed? Are there some tricks I should know?

You didn't mention what type(s)  of flour you are using to make the pasta. Lots of people just use regular, unbleached flour with eggs. I think this type of pasta looks a little more white when cooked. I tend to use a blend of fine durum semolina( which is yellow) with white flour (I like to use Italian "00"-under the DelVerde name-found in better Italian food  markets), but regular flour is fine, as well. This tends to cook up a little more yellowish- if this is what you're  looking for.

Mark A. Bauman

markabauman - thanks for the comments. I (actually, more and more my wife) use Italian "00" flour. I will try to track down some of the hard wheat flour. Do you have to source it from speciality shops and what does using durum ehaet flour add to th texture of the pasta?

Any Italian bakery should be able to supply duram wheat flour pretty cheap.  If you don't have such a place, try to find where the local pizzarias get their supplies.

Durum has a higher gluten content than regular flour which results in a more pliable, flexible dough.  It is easier to manipulate in pasta makers and is less likely to tear.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Balic, you dummy, are you trying to make pasta from oats? Sigh.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Mark, Lisa thanks for the information. I have no problems at all with texture (except when making sodding buckwheat pasta, I wonder if cake or hard flour would help here), colour is my bane.

Steven - oh, golly is that what I have been doing wrong? Actually, I have made Haggis Raviolo (yes, singular). I liked them.

You also need to wash your hands before you make the pasta.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We've had a lot of success using cake flour for homemade pasta. It turns out incredibly silky and pliable. I'm hoping they have some of that in Scotland?

If they have cake flour in Scotland, I'll be pretty bloody jealous down here in London!  I've been searching fruitlessly for a source of decent, softwheat cake & pastry flour for AGES (for cakes, not for pasta) and have finally resorting to bribing my friends to bring it back for me whenever they go to North America.

Back on topic: I use Italian OO flour OR Waitrose's Canadian bread flour to make pasta, and I've never had any problems. Could the rollers on your pasta machine be the culprit?

Miss J

The yellow color of the pasta is not the flour.The culprit,very fresh eggs.My friend was telling me how her ravioli were yellow,I asked if they would stay that color after cooking,she said they would turn back to the normal shade.My friend  has been making pasta for 70 years,I think I can trust her findings.

Right, I use free range eggs that are very fresh (both types of egg white differentiated), the yolks are deeply coloured, the raw dough is bright yellow, the cooked pasta is a pasty white.

Scientist that I am, this weekend I will make different batches of pasta, using different recipes and I will report on my findings.

I've added an extra yolk but also sometimes have added a little saffron to the mix, especially when not using a red or white sauce, e.g. just dressing the pasta with olive oil and perhaps some green veg like peas. Color really stands out.

Mark A. Bauman

A Balic:  I have made Haggis Raviolo (yes, singular). I liked them.

You made one and you liked them? Now I'm confused.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Raviolo - you know one large stuffed pasta for eating as an individual unit. I needed to taste test while I created them, so I ate two or three I would guess.

I was discussing this with a friend and we decided while correct Italian would be ravioli, if you had more then one, Raviolo was a better culinary term for a very large stuffed pasta.

Still confused? :smile:

I know. What I don't know is why my humor failed. I'd like to think it's because I'm not good at being pedantic, but I suppose it's because my humor is failing. My reply was based on an assumption that once you make your second raviolo, you've made ravioli. If you make it, you've made a raviolo. If you make them, you've made ravioli. Size, in this situation, shouldn't matter. Should you choose to agree, there is plenty left in life for me to say yes, I'm confused anyway.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Score 1: Dry Australian Humour.

There was a good 15-20 minute pause between the creation of each individual pasta. I make a personal ravioli/raviolo temporal distinction of exactly two minutes. Any two (or more) stuffed pasta made with < two minute delay between the creation of individual pasta is a ravioli, any pasta with a > two minute delay is a Raviolo. :wink:

Any two (or more) stuffed pasta made with < two minute delay between the creation of individual pasta is a ravioli, any pasta with a > two minute delay is a Raviolo. [my empasis]

I thought we had already established a single unit as a raviolo and were just discussing the interval in time between units before there was a significant degree of guilt by association.

:wink:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

beer.gif

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable