• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Ommegang in NYC

bloviatrix

I tasted Ommegang at the pie potluck and thought it was amazing. So, I want to track some down so I can drink more of it. But, according to their website it's only available at 2 hotels in mid-town.

Anyone know where else I can find this wonderful brew?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

:biggrin: You could come over to my house. We toured the brewery

this weekend ( Cooperstown NY) and brought home a nice selection.

The brewery was the nicest and cleanest I've ever seen BTW, and

our tour guide was so generous with the beer samples that I had

to take a nap on the way back to the hotel.

Melissa

Melissa

Yes! That Pioneer is one of the little-known beer treasures in Manhattan. If there is another store on the island with a better and more interesting selection, I am not aware of it.

it is, but oddly only sells by the bottle, which, for a six(pack), is more expensive??

best beer outlet is on 23rd @ 10th

I liked the Ommegang, too, and I usually don't like beer.

I have a feeling DBA Bar has it, but I'm not sure. They do have a good selection of beers. Of course, they're a bar, not a store, so I'm guessing that wouldn't serve your purposes.

Michael aka "Pan"

Gourmet Garage carries it.

I go the the 97th store with great infrequency, but I'll check tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. It's all because of you and HWOE that I'm on the quest :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

• 1 month later...

For those of you who shop at Fairway Uptown - they're carrying Ommegang.

That market became a CVS about 5 years ago.

If you'd like to drink your Ommegang at a bar, check out the brand-new Spikehill on Bedford and North 7th in Williamsburg (just outside the L train station). They have the 750ml bottle for $8. It's a lovely place -- though it's still got that new-bar smell.

I've seen Ommegang and Rare Vos (rare fox, one of their other beers) in D'Agostino's all over the city.

For a great beer selection in Manhattan that's open 24 hours, there's the Happy Deli on, I believe, 46th and 8th.

New York City Beer has a great list of beer stores and brewpubs & such all through the city.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Fairway was charging a little more than $5 for the Ommegang. They have 2 or 3 of their beers including the Rare Vos, which is what I picked up.

As of yesterday (Friday) Gourmet Garage at 96th wasn't carrying it.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Almost every deli or grocery store I go to in NYC has Ommegang products. Haven't had a chance to try yet, but they just put out their Quadrupel which goes for something like $6.99. And if you like Belgian styel, try some real Belgian beer, it tastes the same! But if you're against that, there's always Unibroue who make some great Belgian style beer which is actually interesting.

Ommegang is fairly prevalent on the NY scene. There are kazillion places to drink or buy it in Park Slope for example at Bierkraft (buy to take home) on 5th Avenue off of Union, or if you want to sample it - 200 Fifth Avenue Restaurant/Bar services it - along with a selection of 40 other beers on tap and numerous others in bottles. Cann't remember if they serve Ommegang on tap (I think they do) Try Speckled Red Hen - that's pretty tasty too. If you ever get a chance that the Ommegang Tour while up in the Cooperstown area - nice people - great beer - pretty grounds. They run a belguim festival yearly too.

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

Three Philosophers CASK at Brazen Head this weekend. They will be serving up each of the following casks Sat & Sunday (....enough to make a grown beer-lover cry):

Ommegan's 3 Philosophers

Stoudts Fat Dog Stout

Greenpoint's Barley Wine

Heavyweight's 1 Off ?

Victory Storm King

Blue Point's Double Blonde

South Hampton's Irish Ale

Red Hook's ESB

Wagner Valley Maple Porter Stoudts IPA

http://www.brazenheadbrooklyn.com/bigswitch.php3?

Edited by Abe Froman (log)