• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Splitting the top layer of a cake

JPW

Don't spend much time on this forum, so please excuse if I have missed a recent thread. Plus, I know even less about baking than I do about cooking.

Here's the situation, Mrs. JPW is the family baker. She's made two lovely layers of angel's food cakes. However, each one is a little rounded at the top. End result is icing the first layer, putting the second on top and icing. Inevitably the top layer splits as the edges are weighted down with icing.

Mrs. JPW hated my idea of trimming off the top of the bottom layer to make it flat.

What is correct way to avoid this problem?

TIA

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Don't spend much time on this forum, so please excuse if I have missed a recent thread. Plus, I know even less about baking than I do about cooking.

Here's the situation, Mrs. JPW is the family baker. She's made two lovely layers of angel's food cakes. However, each one is a little rounded at the top. End result is icing the first layer, putting the second on top and icing. Inevitably the top layer splits as the edges are weighted down with icing.

Mrs. JPW hated my idea of trimming off the top of the bottom layer to make it flat.

What is correct way to avoid this problem?

TIA

Are you trying to avoid the "problem" of the rounded top, or the "problem" of the top layer splitting when you assemble them that way?

I understand that using baking strips along the outside of the cake pan will allow the edges to rise evenly.

I've never tried this, though. I trim off the top, flat, and eat the scraps, or mix them with whipped cream. And eat them.

Are you trying to avoid the "problem" of the rounded top, or the "problem" of the top layer splitting when you assemble them that way?

That's kind of the rub. The end goal is to avoid the splitting. But what I thought was the correct solution (skimming the top of the bottom layer off flat) was deemed unacceptable by Mrs JPW.

So, if there is a way to avoid the splitting if the top of the bottom layer is a little rounded then I'm all ears.

Or any suggestions to keep the tops flatter (not quite sure what you mean by "baking strips").

Finally, if the only solution is to trim off the top, Mrs JPW has said that she will bow to the collective wisdom of the group.

Gloating will then commence. :biggrin:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

That's kind of the rub. The end goal is to avoid the splitting. But what I thought was the correct solution (skimming the top of the bottom layer off flat) was deemed unacceptable by Mrs JPW.

So, if there is a way to avoid the splitting if the top of the bottom layer is a little rounded then I'm all ears.

Or any suggestions to keep the tops flatter (not quite sure what you mean by "baking strips").

Finally, if the only solution is to trim off the top, Mrs JPW has said that she will bow to the collective wisdom of the group.

Gloating will then commence. :biggrin:

Baking strips are strictly a preventative measure. Too late to prevent a rounded top at this point.

You could consider using a filling that's stiff enough to support the top layer, but such a thing might alter your finished product plan. Something that you could sculpt to mimic a flat top, and set up in the fridge before completing assembly, maybe a buttercream or stiff mousse.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I can't check back until tomorrow morning, but I look forward to whatever other ideas pop up.

Yinz are the best!

Joe W

My cake tops are always rounded, and I always have to trim the bottom layer flat. Once it's covered with icing, who's gonna know?

:biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Tip one layer out upside down onto a (slightly concave) dinner plate. Now put the second layer atop it so the two flat sides go together.

The weight of the cake and shape of the plate render the bottom flat for all practical purposes, and who cares if the top has a slight dome?

SB (no cutting needed)

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I didn't understand much of what you wrote, I'm sorry. Perhaps you'll restate what you mean or my following message will help....(hopefully)

First, an angel food cake will always have a uneven top as will most cakes...but the tops of an angel food cakes are uniquely rough, denser then the inner cake and never flat. I believe that using baking strips as suggested wouldn't be appropriate for an angel food cake. You will always need to trim angel food cakes if you want a perfectly flat top....even if you turn your cake over and make your top now the bottom- you'll need to level the previous top.

Second, are you saying she baked this in 2 pans and each one your calling a layer? If so-you'd have a nicer cake if you'd baked it in only one typical angel food cake pan with a hollow center tube, then splitting it into layers when it was cold.

The real problem is: Because of the composition of an angel food cake- it can't take much weight with-out breaking regardless of how you attempt to frost or layer it, whether its level or not. You must choose a frosting that is light, so it won't break the cake under it's weight....this cake isn't stong.

What type of frosting are you attempting to use?

My suggestions: bake 1 cake recipe in 1 pan, let it cool upside down until very cool/room temp.. De-pan it and let it rest uncovered for a couple hours. This will dry out your cake a little and make it easier to slice. When you slice your cake into layers use a serated knive and cut confidently and quickly thru the cake being careful to use your energy force cutting sideways and not pressing downward as you cut. Choose a light frosting, preferable one that doesn't need refridgeration....

I hoped that helped

Thanks for all the replies.

Sinclair, you did indeed understand everything perfectly. As for how she makes it - yes two cakes in two pans, put one down, apply icing on top, place 2nd on top, apply icing all over- think traditional birthday cake.

The light composition of angel food is not something that I had not considered. Of course, now that it has been pointed out to me, it is painfully clear that just about any void of space would cause it to split. I'm not 100% sure of the frosting recipe, but it is indeed one that does NOT require refridgeration.

To sum up --

We have two options: trim the top of the bottom layer to make it flat, or make one big cake and slice it in half.

Thanks again all!

:smile:

Joe W

PS -- srhcb,

I like your idea, but as she is also a creature of design, using a plate on her favorite cake stand is not acceptable.

:smile:

Joe W