• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olive Oil Questions, Options, Favorites

Shiva

Darlene,

I import extra virgin olive oil from small producers in Italy, and I also sell oil from a couple of California producers. Since I started the business to have plenty of good olive oil in my own kitchen, I don't need to use any of the brands available nationally.

There are scale problems in making enough oil for a big market. It is difficult to produce well-made extra virgin olive oil, and only a few firms are able to do it in volume. National brands blend oil from many sources to get a consistent flavor, and it's very likely that the blend includes some refined oil.

To ensure you're getting true extra virgin, you can buy from a trusted source (self promotion warning: like me) or look for the California Olive Oil Council seal that certifies the oil is truly extra virgin. The California oils I sell (Katz, the oil used at Chez Panisse, and COR, one of the successful high volume producers) carry this certification.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

The term Extra Virgin Olive Oil is regulated and controlled in at least 2 state in the US. Connecticut and California. In California for an oil to be deemed EVOO it has to meet laboratory and taste analysis. Taste analysis is performed by tasters certified by the IOC. The rub here in Cali is that the State will not test oil for this state mandated criteria but will rely on citizen complaints regarding the oil. Even with a complaint it's unsure of what will happen to the less than honest oils, since they're damn near broke.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

• 1 year later...

I received an 'invitation' to buy six half-liters of Carli EVOO for 29.99, supposedly half-price.

Is this oil of decent quality? Their literature reminds me of the Gevalia coffee offers; but I do not see terms for future shipments.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not sure if the firm you are referring is the same that sells "olio Carli" here in Italy. And we must consider that the same firm can sell products of different qualities in different countries.

What I can say is that the "olio Carli" which is sold here in Italy is simply average.

Teo

Teo

Ok, it's the same firm I was thinking about.

As I wrote, I think it's just average. There are far worse olive oils out there, but this is just an oil for the mass consumers. It just depends on your needs. If you need olive oil in quantities (you have a refectory or similars), then this is a good choice. If you are looking for quality, then this is not the product for you. It's almost impossible to buy good/high quality olive oil for less than 10 euro per liter, at least here in Italy.

Teo

Teo