• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wanted: Seattle Seafood Restaurant

My boyfriend's parents are coming to Seattle to visit us in late March. It'll be their first time here, and they're both from the Midwest. They're not big foodies :unsure: and are mainly meat-and-potatoes folk, but they do like good seafood. And since this is Seattle, after all, we'd like to take them for some great PNW seafood--relatively casual and at a moderate price. Can anyone offer suggestions? I'm tempted to aim for something with a view, although I know that good views often mean not-so-good food. Maybe near Pike Place? I don't want to take them to a tourist-trap place with a great view and mediocre food--hell, if I'm going to be spending my money, I want to enjoy what I'm eating! To complicate this request a bit, I should mention that my boyfriend is a vegetarian, so we're looking for a place with at least a couple of veggie options. I'm mulling over Etta's, having read good things about it here and perused the menu online. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by cheeseandchocolate (log)

She blogs: Orangette

Depending on exactly what you mean by "moderate price", I think Elliott's would really fit what you're looking for. For straight forward preparations of high quality fish, it's the best place in town IMNSHO.

A little less expensive and without a view, but still good quality, is McCormick's Fish House.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

what about ray's boathouse? i've heard the upstairs is a little less formal - the view is still great and it's definitely cheaper. there aren't a lot of vegetarian entrees, but i bet they'd be creative for your boyfriend.

ray's

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

The one place that meets all your criteria, especially for the group you've described.

I've been there for many similar occasions and being realistic about the price, ambiance and view it would be perfect.

"Chinooks" at the Fisherman's Terminal is the place, plus it has free convenient parking. It's not the best Seafood Restaurant in Seattle but it is consistant and good value and generally pretty busy.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

A place that my midwestern parents like is Chinook's at Fisherman's Terminal. This serves as a good comprimise place for my family get-togethers-everyone, even the meat and potatoes folks-can find something they like here. The seafood is done well, and it is all pretty "safe" for those who like some seafood but aren't too adventurous. Good sized portions, good service (last family dinner, they comped desserts for our party of 8 because we waited about 40 minutes for a table, though we hadn't complained), reasonable prices, easy parking, a nice view of the fishing boats and Salmon Bay. It's not touristy, and you can buy fish off the fishing boats or from the fish market there if you want something for the next night's dinner, which might be kind of a neat thing for the midwestern visitors to experience.

Chinooks

"Chinooks" at the Fisherman's Terminal is the place, plus it has free convenient parking. It's not the best Seafood Restaurant in Seattle but it is consistant and good value and generally pretty busy.

Irwin

Yep, agree. I was going to say Chinook's and Ray's Boathouse. I love the views from Ray's better though. That's a fun place to go to for brewskis and happy hour appetizers. Also, would mention Elliott's. I like their oyster sampler platter and the crab cakes. Oh don't forget Salty's. Nice views from there and not too bad food....I usually go there after rollerblading for the happy hour... But nothing beats Alki for views (course I'm biased being from West Seattle) :smile:

Edited by sequim (log)

I like Chinook's too, especially for out of town visitors that just want some good, basic seafood and have limited pocketbooks. :wink:

These are some things I like at Chinook's:

-Half shell oysters--always fresh and several types to choose from

-Steamers--clams or mussels--they are always sweet and fresh done with garlic, butter and lemon--you can get a combo if you can't decide and they come in appetizer or main dish sizes

-Pan-fried oysters - some of the best I've ever had and good portions--I like to order them with fries rather than the o'brien-style potatoes which are standard with the dinners and always seem kind of bland.

-Hearts of romaine with blue cheese and hazelnuts salad--very rich and tasty :biggrin:

-Baja shrimp cocktail - bay shrimp with avocadoes and salsa

-My husband likes the blackened halibut (or is it mahi mahi?) tacos

-Tempura shrimp and veggies--especially the mushrooms--seems more like beer battered than tempura, but it's very good, though incredibly rich and filling.

They also have a good selection of fresh fish--almost always including salmon and halibut but also including Idaho trout, mahi mahi, ahi and others.

The Boston clam chowder is tasty and has plenty of clams, but is very thick so be warned.

I'm not sure about vegetarian options, but they have pasta dishes, salads and veggie side dishes and are very accomodating so I'd think something could be arranged. Maybe call ahead to find out.

The waits can be long, but if you go in late afternoon you can avoid them and still see the view of the boats.

After singing the praises of Chinooks, I also like Etta's, though for my meat-and-potatoes relatives, it's too adventurous (believe it or not!)

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I think Etta's is a good choice but it's one of the few nicer places I've eaten at in Seattle. The desk guy at my hotel recommended it and contrary to the way those things work out it was really good. I think they may have a vegetarian item or two - the spinach salad I had there was the best salad I've ever had.

A word of caution on Ray's: depending on the night, it can be a real scene, which can be offputting, if you're not used to dealing with the noise and the crowd.

Personally, I've had some issues with inconsistency at Ray's: I've had some of the best seafood of my life there, and some of the worst.

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

Oceanaire is still my favorite! My wife makes me drive down from Vancouver, BC once a month to dine here.

Oceanaire hardly seem like a "moderately priced" option given that all entrees are over $20 and sides are extra. Then again, I have my own irrational aversion to the place....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Oceanaire is still my favorite! My wife makes me drive down from Vancouver, BC once a month to dine here.

Oceanaire hardly seem like a "moderately priced" option given that all entrees are over $20 and sides are extra. Then again, I have my own irrational aversion to the place....

I agree. I should have mentioned....we were educated by fire!!!

You have to be careful ordering here. One entree for two people is enough. One dessert for four is enough.

The first time we went in we ordered the Seafood Plateau to start, an appetizer each, an entree each, two sides and two desserts....

We ate 20% and paid $500. We nearly didn't go back, but the service was very educated (with the exception of the oversell) and the food was FANTASTIC.

(I must remember to preface my comments on Oceanaire with a note on portion size)

Chef/Owner/Teacher

My boyfriend's parents are coming to Seattle to visit us in late March. It'll be their first time here, and they're both from the Midwest. They're not big foodies :unsure: and are mainly meat-and-potatoes folk, but they do like good seafood. And since this is Seattle, after all, we'd like to take them for some great PNW seafood--relatively casual and at a moderate price. Can anyone offer suggestions? I'm tempted to aim for something with a view, although I know that good views often mean not-so-good food. Maybe near Pike Place? I don't want to take them to a tourist-trap place with a great view and mediocre food--hell, if I'm going to be spending my money, I want to enjoy what I'm eating! To complicate this request a bit, I should mention that my boyfriend is a vegetarian, so we're looking for a place with at least a couple of veggie options. I'm mulling over Etta's, having read good things about it here and perused the menu online. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Flying Fish. It's a great restaurant, the entrees are mostly under $20, they have veggie options if I recall.

If that seems a bit excessive, the cafe at Ray's Boathouse is where we usually take non-foodie out-of-towners. Decent food, something for everyone and a wonderful view.

- S

The ONLY veggie options at Flying Fish are a couple of different types of green salads. This I found out when I went there with a vegetarian not long ago.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Depending on exactly what you mean by "moderate price", I think Elliott's would really fit what you're looking for.  For straight forward preparations of high quality fish, it's the best place in town IMNSHO.

I had a less than stellar lunch at Elliott's today. First problem I noticed after I sat down was the scent of bleach. (I like a sanitized table, but hate the scent of bleach while I'm eating).

My Caesar Salad was very poor...tired looking lettuce overly dressed, 1 crouton and not even a good quality one at that, and a glob of shaved domestic tasting parmesan stuck together sitting on top.

My Curried Saffron Mussels were swimming in a thick yellow oily liquid that barely tasted of Curry or anything. On the positive side, the one fried oyster I sampled of one of my dining companions was excellent. I also sampled a bite of someone's Smoked Chicken Penne and it was pretty good. Perhaps I just ordered the wrong things today.

My Caesar Salad was very poor...tired looking lettuce overly dressed, 1 crouton and not even a good quality one at that, and a glob of shaved domestic tasting parmesan stuck together sitting on top.

I had the same Caesar salad experience at Elliot's. The dressing tasted bottled--yuck! and for a restaurant of that caliber to have bad parmesan........!

However, I also had a stellar 1/2 dozen raw oysters and some really good fried oysters (as Blue Heron mentioned). I guess it depends on what you order. I've never eaten in the dining room, only in the bar area.

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I had the same Caesar salad experience at Elliot's.  The dressing tasted bottled--yuck!

I agree, unfortunately. It tasted of perhaps a better quality bottled or jarred dressing, but had that artificial twang to it. I was with a group and didn't want to draw attention to my disatisfaction, however.

Their fresh oysters on the half shell menu looked great and was huge. Also, they are known for their yummy fresh cracked dungeness crab, which a visitor really can never go wrong with ordering. We ate in the dining room, and service was good. View was wonderful! We had a window table.

I had a less than stellar lunch at Elliott's today. First problem I noticed after I sat down was the scent of bleach. (I like a sanitized table, but hate the scent of bleach while I'm eating).

My Curried Saffron Mussels were swimming in a thick yellow oily liquid that barely tasted of Curry or anything. On the positive side, the one fried oyster I sampled of one of my dining companions was excellent. I also sampled a bite of someone's Smoked Chicken Penne and it was pretty good. Perhaps I just ordered the wrong things today.

No excuse for a crappy Ceasar salad. Maybe it the corporate nature of the Metropolitan restaurants rearing its head.

I guess I'm not surprised that something like 'saffron curry mussles' wouldn't be good at Elliott's. Serving very straight forward oysters, fish, etc. is really their forte and venturing into anything vaguely fushion-ish could be perilous for them (and you).

Eau de bleach with lunch...yum.....

I had those mussels not long ago. I would expect them to be good (think Brasa's bar menu) because it's apparently mussel season, but the the sauce/broth is really thick and cloying. I also had halibut cheeks at Elliott's recently. Our waiter raved about them, but they were described inaccurately on the menu and were pretty awful. When he specifically asked about what he had recommended, I told him that I wouldn't order it again.

I had some gorgeous buttery RAW seafood last night at Saito's, though!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I had those mussels not long ago. I would expect them to be good (think Brasa's bar menu) because it's apparently mussel season, but the the sauce/broth is really thick and cloying.

My point wasn't that I would expect the mussels themselves to be bad, I just wouldn't order something with curry sauce there or any ethnically inspired preparation for that matter.

I want to put in my vote for The Oceanaire. I was in Seattle earlier this month and wanted something close to my hotel and not to challenging brain wise so I gave it a try. The oysters were excellent, the chowder good and the fish was very fresh. I had the assorted flash fried fish, really deep fried. It was too much to eat though. The wine list seemed fair and interesting. I had the Key Lime pie for dessert. It was excessive size wise but tasty.

The service was nice but a bit too smart. I hate it when a waiter assumes that because they read a Hugh Johnson book once they know everything about wine.

I like the room and the smartly dressed staff.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I agree with those who reccommended Chinooks. Not a culinary adventure, and I'll never eat brunch there again, but it's full of natives (mostly Ballardites), with good basic food. As mentioned, their pan fried oysters are REALLY good (sometimes, I just gotta have a plate of fried oysters). The salads are very good - fresh and bountiful. And the chocolate cake is so classically midwestern...sometimes I just gotta have that, too. Swimming in hot fudge, topped with a raft of vanilla ice cream. :biggrin:

The view is almost like being on vacation in a seaside fishing village, and we like it best when it's a gloomy rainy day. Just like being at the coast on vacation! :raz:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”