• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Used Cookbooks in Boston

bigwino

Every once in a while I drop into the Brattle Bookshop to browse for used cookbooks. Lo and behold, yesterday they had a HUGE addition of cookbooks. Evidently, they just bought out a big collection. There are still lots of great books left, even after I bought my fill. :biggrin:

Where else do you find a good selection of bargain used cookbooks in and around Boston?

• 10 months later...

Here in the wilds of Connecticut, there aren't a lot of good used bookshops (of which I am familiar). That said, if I know what I'm looking for, I use the Amazon used book links. If you have the ISBN, it is sometimes easier to track a used copy via Amazon than with the title or author.

(For that matter - though I am likely saying nothing new here - when I want a new cookbook, knowing what I want, I go through the Amazon New & Used Link to eCookbooks/Jessica's Biscuit (hey, that's Boston-based, isn't it?). Their discount is always better than Amazon's own on new titles.)

I've had good luck finding some odd cookbooks at Library used book sales. Everybody is looking around for the first editions in fiction, while nobody is looking at cookbooks. A very good source for 'cookbooks as cultural kitch' (like Jello cookbooks or Trader Vic's Cookbook), but nice things show up time and again, and they all generally cost under $5.

I put together all of the older editions of Robert Parker's wine guides in two Southport Library book sales. Found a copy of 300 Years of Carolina Cooking (one of the old editions - from back in the days when Jr. League cookbooks were actually composed of recipes from Jr. League members) up here. Found a University of Minnesota Press book of recipes for cooking the fish of the Great Lakes! Love those library book sales!

I did very well at Antiquarian Books of Boston (2 Milk St) back in November. Came home with 8 volumes of the Time-Life Foods of the World series and a couple of other books.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs