• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating in Rhinebeck

Stone

I'm reviving this thread to ask whether anyone has been to a new pizza/panini place somewhere near Bard College -- someone told me about it, and we have been forlornly driving along the Hudson, searching, to no avail! We used to eat at Gigi's -- had been regulars for years -- but were recently very turned off by weirdly unpleasant treatment by the owner, as well as what seems to be a decline in service and simultaneous rise in prices. The food still seems to us superior to anything else we have tried locally, so we're getting a little desperate.

Not necessarily what you're asking about, but here's a place worth checking, right in the heart of Red Hook... Excellent made-to-order paninis, take-out (or eat-in) pasta, gourmet market baskets, etc.

Nepotism alert: my sister is the co-owner. Nevertheless, it's good stuff. Bring a friend!

Christopher

Well, I'm not related to the co-owner, but can definately vouch for Mercato Tavolio. It doesn't have the atmosphere of Gigi, but the panini are definately better. Plus, Francesco is friendly and if you are lucky enough to be there at the same time, his son is adorable. You can also buy some of their stuff at the Rhinebeck Farmers Market on Sunday...

As for Gigi, there are plenty of better restaurants in the area, though the menus are much different. For the best restaurant in the area, head to Mina in Red Hook (around the corner from Mercato Tavolio). Or le Petit Bistro in Rhinebeck. I think Terrapin is better for some things than Gigi, they are right across the street. There are plenty of tasty options in the area...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Thanks, guys, the Mercato sounds like a great place, and may even be what I was thinking was that pizza place. We tried Mina once, had a nice meal there, but it's a bit too much of a sit-down thing for an all-purpose meal with our daughter (who's very restaurant friendly but five, and apt to start nodding off in the middle of dinner.) I agree that Terrapin has some good dishes, but I find it less consistently good than Gigi. We've never tried Le Petit Bistrot -- not sure why! Thanks for reminding me of it.

• 1 year later...
If you liked Cripple Creek for dinner, I would like to suggest a place that is much better...Mina in Red Hook...It has a similar style menu, but with fantastic local ingredients and very innovative cooking. Service is great, and nice atmosphere

I tried calling Mina, and the number's been disconnected. I'd like to eat there tomorrow night. Anyone know if they're still open?

If you liked Cripple Creek for dinner, I would like to suggest a place that is much better...Mina in Red Hook...It has a similar style menu, but with fantastic local ingredients and very innovative cooking. Service is great, and nice atmosphere

I tried calling Mina, and the number's been disconnected. I'd like to eat there tomorrow night. Anyone know if they're still open?

Went out of business a couple of years ago.

• 2 months later...

In Rhinebeck, le Petit Bistro has revamped their winelist. The food is solid bistro fare, nothing fancy but good. For something a little more complex, head to Hudson and Swoon Kitchenbar. It's about 20 minutes north on Rt 9G. They were just reviewed in the Times, so it may be a little difficult to get in on the weekend. See Swoon Review here

Gigi is still nice for a casual italian meal in an energetic environment. Up in Red Hook, Mercato Tavolio is doing great things with a new menu everyday. For people who remember Mercato as a sandwich shop, it has changed. They took over the space on Market Street where Luna used to be. They now serve a full dinner accompanied by well chosen Italian wines. Definately worth a trip.

Don't bother with Terrapin. It's a beautiful space but the food is lousy. Savory items are too sweet and make me think of early 90's cuisine.

Hope this helps

In Rhinebeck, le Petit Bistro has revamped their winelist. The food is solid bistro fare, nothing fancy but good. For something a little more complex, head to Hudson and Swoon Kitchenbar. It's about 20 minutes north on Rt 9G. They were just reviewed in the Times, so it may be a little difficult to get in on the weekend. See Swoon Review here

Gigi is still nice for a casual italian meal in an energetic environment. Up in Red Hook, Mercato Tavolio is doing great things with a new menu everyday. For people who remember Mercato as a sandwich shop, it has changed. They took over the space on Market Street where Luna used to be. They now serve a full dinner accompanied by well chosen Italian wines. Definately worth a trip.

Don't bother with Terrapin. It's a beautiful space but the food is lousy. Savory items are too sweet and make me think of early 90's cuisine.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much!

I just made reservations at Swoon for dinner. The menu and wine list looked amazingly interesting and nicely priced.

We might try Le Petit Bistro as well since it's across the street from our hotel.

Cheers! :cool:

Staying at the Beekman I assume. For terrific pastries, go across the street to Calico. And, while I wouldn't eat dinner there, Terrapin offers decent drinks and bar food in their bar area.

While you're in Hudson, take time before or after Swoon to stroll around and shop. There are a lot of antique shops and galleries worth walking through.

Have fun!

Staying at the Beekman I assume. For terrific pastries, go across the street to Calico. And, while I wouldn't eat dinner there, Terrapin offers decent drinks and bar food in their bar area.

While you're in Hudson, take time before or after Swoon to stroll around and shop. There are a lot of antique shops and galleries worth walking through.

Have fun!

Yes, we're at the Beekman, so thanks for the rec on pastries. We will try to get to Hudson before dinner (RSVP'd for 8pm Thursday night) and stroll around, again thanks.

Since we're meeting friends Friday night at Terrapin for drinks, we'll go to Le Petit Bistrot for dinner.

Good to hear about some quality eats in the area! I just moved to the Rhinebeck-Staatsburg area so it's nice to hear of something co close.

I might also add that the Sunday morning farmer's market in Rhinebeck was beautiful if a bit pricey (for some things). And there's a very nice butcher in Rhinebeck itself, Fleischer's, where I picked up a 28-day dry-aged grass-fed boneless sirloin for $17.99/lbs.

Fleisher's just opened that store a few months ago. Before they only had the Kingston store. They specialize in locally grown, grass fed beef, as well as heritage pork and local chickens. In addition they have a wonderful cheese case with NY State cheeses. Add to all that different artisinal sauces, condiments, spice rubs, and some local produce, Fleisher's is a welcome addition to my local shopping circuit.

People are raving about their rottisserie chickens too. And the t-shirts are hilarious.

Hi everyone,

just happened across this thread, but i thought i could contribute a little. I was in the area in 2001-2003 as a cia student, and some of my favs have not been mentioned - maybe because they're no longer there?

In Poughkeepsie:

- Marina's Pizzeria - basic, but good pies and calzones and my kids really loved the dough knots.

-A good Jamaican place one block east of the train station, I can't remember the name but they had great patties, jerk, and curried goat.

In Hyde Park:

- Everyready Diner- again, basic, but good and in a cool diner atmosphere.

- The CIA restaurants - all good, but they do vary depending on the group of students working there during that block. Please remember that the servers are actually cooks who may be very new at waiting tables, so take it easy on them.

- Edo Sushi, you can do better in the city, but it was always fresh and had great prices.

- The Brewery - already mentioned, but decent food and very good beer :smile:

In Rhinebeck:

-Terrapin and le petit bistro have both been discussed above, but i like them both.

- Gigi Trattoria, as a disclaimer, i worked there, and then chef/owner Gianni scapin has left, but i have friends there still and would definately recommend it.

- The 1766 Tavern in the Beekman Arms hotel. I though it was odd that nobody mentioned it, so maybe it has closed? When i worked there it was owned by Larry Forgione and it served great food. It changed hands and chefs since then, so I can't vouche for it now, but i thought it should be mentioned.

In Redhook:

- The Curry House - Pretty good Indian food with a very reasonably priced buffet. Great breads, chai masala and lots of good vegetarian selections.

- La Mexicana- a really good family run store/restaurant. Solid across the board, but i especially enjoyed their enchiladas with mole, and their quesadillas with huitlacoche - the first exposure to the corn fungus for me.

"As far as cuisine is concerned one must read everything, see everything, hear everything, try everything, observe everything, in order to retain, in the end, just a little bit!"

F. Point

I work at Fleisher's actually. The rotisserie chicken is awesome! There were 2 left at the end of the night tonight. I ate one and gave the other to older couple I met on the street. They were quite pleased.

That must be quite a commute from Seattle... :biggrin:

Just looked at your Myspace page. Judging from the picture, you helped us today (right after you opened at 11). Next time I'm in, I'll be sure to say hello...

Edited by adegiulio (log)

I should mention we had a great lunch at Gigi's, the flatbread pizza and the Tuscan fries were both delicious. Actually, let me rephrase that, the fries were fan-freaking-tastic!

This Friday I will be cooking the Fleischer's cry-vac'd 28-day dry-aged grass-fed boneless sirloin at a steak-off dinner with some fellow oenofools, it's been in my freezer since my return from Rhinebeck last weekend.

I will post reviews of it (and our dinner) on my blog, http://vinotas.blogspot.com, and here.

• 1 month later...

random stuff on the mid hudson area... [] are from a post above.

[in Poughkeepsie:

-A good Jamaican place one block east of the train station, I can't remember the name but they had great patties, jerk, and curried goat.]

that's janet's jerk stop. it used to be on academy / main, but moved and is now on washington st, a little further north from the historic post office.

a haitian /jamaican place, caribbean kafe, opened up across from where janet's used to be. haven't tried it yet.

a mexican place, cinco de mayo, opened where janet's was, and is real authentic stuff. love the agua frescas, too. mole mole is light mexican, and i like that too.

the main st. area in poughkeepsie has gotten a lot of people from oaxaca and poblano, and the small kitchens reflect that, ie. los compadres and la cabanita. there's a peruvian place (el gallito) as well.

[in Hyde Park:

- Everyready Diner- again, basic, but good and in a cool diner atmosphere.]

really good for a diner. don't know if their appearance on food network resulted in the spike in biz, we only go a couple time a year. but the cherry cokes are wonderful.

recent places that have opened and stand out here:

tonique in beacon. wouldn't stand out in nyc, but does for this area. small plates with fresh, well thought out food combinations. (i'd also say haymaker in poughkeepsie, but not as good).

elephant wine bar in kingston - would fit in the LES, service is slow but food and music are good. tapas type food served, quite tasty.

armadillos in kingston. if you like nyc's mexican radio, you'll love this place. 20 years here? and still going strong. tex-mex with flavor, great owners / staff, nice drinks.

and the only vietnamese places within 50 miles, 2 on the same block in poughkeepsie. i prefer saigon cafe, but miss saigon is decent as well. go figure.