• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating in Rhinebeck

Stone

I hope to buy a weekend house near Rhinebeck. I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to dine in the Rhinebeck/Hyde Park/Pleasant Valley/Red Hook/Milan area.

(If anyone knows of a good contractor/home inspector, I'd love that info as well.)

Stone,

Welcome to the Hudson Valley area. I'm in the building trade, but just a little bit north of you, but would be happy to assist in locating some individual's through networking for you.

PM me if you would like me to get some specific information.

We just recently had a discussion around here somewhere, regarding restaurants, a fellow egulleter is moving up from the Jersey area. I'll try and find the thread.

woodburner

clickity

Edited by woodburner (log)

Hey Stone, we are also moving to the area soon. We are building a house in Red Hook and should be in by Thanksgiving at the lastest. We love the area and food!! Here is a nice list of places to try..

In Rhinebeck, our favorite for lunch is Gigi Trattoria, great little place with panini, pizzas, and some nice dishes. For Dinner I would check out la Petit bistro (our favorite in town, terrific service and roasted duck). Also, check out Cripple Creek and Terrapin. I have heard that Bing should not be missed. All of these restaurants are right in the center of town, or a blocks walk from the center. We got married at the Belvedere Mansion, which has its own restaurant. It is about 4 miles south of the center of town and is very good. Diner food can be found at Blondies (though I think they closed or changed owners) and Schemmy's Ice cream parlor...There is a decent sushi place next to Cripple Creek, if you have a hankering...

In Red Hook, the best restaurant, without a doubt, is Mina, just west of the center of town. John and Natalie DiBenedetto really put out a terrific product here, offering modern American cuisine using seasonal and local produce and meat. They really seem to care about the food they send out to the dining room. This should be one of the first places you try. For ribs, everyone loves Max's Memphis BBQ. Terrific, smoky and meltingly fatty. I prefer my ribs a little saucier than they serve them here, but they are terrific nonetheless.

As someone else mentioned, you should get to the CIA in Hyde Park sometime. Also in Hyde Park is a brewery, I think it is called Hyde Park Brewery, if you like that sort of thing. Decent food, fantastic beer.

Since we only get up there a few times a month, we haven't ventured into Kingston, though I read there are some nice places there too.

Best of all, if you don't want to eat out, there are wonderful sources for products to cook your own meals! In the summer the best farmers market around is in Rhinebeck on Sundays. All the farms around have a stand there, as do some dairies, bakeries, and Honey producers. For farm fresh produce the rest of the week, go to Migliorelli's stand on 199 and River Road, just before the Kingston Rhinecliff Bridge. If you are over in Ulster county, go to Adams on 9W (take the Saugerties exit). For the best heirloom tomatoes, check out the farm stand on 9G where 199 breaks west. If you like Venison, there is Highland Farms in Germantown. For pick your own, go to Greig Farms, which is right around the corner from where we are building, on Pitcher lane in Red Hook.

We are pretty much moving there to eat ourselves into oblivion. If you have any questions or want specifics, email me at anthony at amyanthony.com. I'd be happy to fill in any blanks...

Good luck with building. I can offer you my builders info, if you would like, though I think he may be busy for a while.. :biggrin:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

What a coinkydink. My uncle lives in Rhinebeck and I visited him for the holidaze. He is the family epicurean so we knew we were in for a treat. Truely a Christmas that my palate will not soon forget. We actually only dined out for dinner once. We had a really nice dinner at the Terrapin. The oyster stew was to die for, as was the calamari. I had some kind of whitefish that was supposed to be miso crusted, with a side of wasabi mashed potatoes. Eh. Did not execute as well as it sounded, but then again that might have been my fault for ordering white fish. It was bland, as were the potatos. Everything else was really quite good. There was some kind of mussel dish that was oohed and ahhhed over. He has promised a trip to the CIA next time we are in town. We kept driving by it but I think it was perhaps closed for the holidays?Rhinebeck is such a beautiful town in such a nice area. Congrats on moving there!

What a coinkydink. My uncle lives in Rhinebeck and I visited him for the holidaze. He is the family epicurean so we knew we were in for a treat. Truely a Christmas that my palate will not soon forget. We actually only dined out for dinner once. We had a really nice dinner at the Terrapin. The oyster stew was to die for, as was the calamari. I had some kind of whitefish that was supposed to be miso crusted, with a side of wasabi mashed potatoes. Eh. Did not execute as well as it sounded, but then again that might have been my fault for ordering white fish. It was bland, as were the potatos. Everything else was really quite good. There was some kind of mussel dish that was oohed and ahhhed over. He has promised a trip to the CIA next time we are in town. We kept driving by it but I think it was perhaps closed for the holidays?Rhinebeck is such a beautiful town in such a nice area. Congrats on moving there!

The CIA, can be sometimes a bit of a wait for reservations, so best to book early. Lunches are popular, but easier to get into.

Dinner is a very nice experience, and worth the wait.

woodburner

Hey Stone!

I travel to Rhinebeck several times a year for business and to visit relatives. I was just there last week and ate at Terrapin. I had the butternut squash soup and duck quesadillas, both of which were excellent. We were there on a Monday night, and the place was hopping! Seemed like a bit of a pickup scene, actually.

Houses in Rhinebeck can be quite pricey, and it's getting crowded with "city people", according to the locals (no offense). Red Hook is quieter, but there are fewer restaurants and shops in town. You might want to check out Tivoli too if you're looking for a peaceful small town.

In the summer, I like Del's Drive-In for burgers, fries, and shakes. Obviously a different feel from my other favorites (Cripple Creek, Le Petit Bistro, Gigi's, 40 West).

Good luck with the house-hunting, and stay in touch!

allison

I went to college in Poughkeepsie and went to Rhinebeck occasionally. I liked the desserts at Calico, and, for what it is, Osaka is good for sushi. I had a few good meals at Gigi's, and a few bad ones.

But the farmers market was what really drew me to Rhinebeck. Joe Popovich of Popovich's Provisions makes great mozzarella, salmon mousse, cheddar spread with horseradish, Scotch eggs and an aged cheese called Harpersfield. I really miss access to his stuff. And Sprout Creek Farms is around there, but I'm not sure if it sells at the Rhinebeck market. Their cheese is showing up on cheese plates all over NYC, especially the Ouvray.

For a small market, they have a great selection of produce and meat.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Thanks jogoode for reminding me about Calico. A terrific pastry shop and a decent little restaurant in its own right. They made our wedding cake, and for once, people actually ate it!!

Ant

don't miss rossi's deli in poughkeepsie. a killer place that is definately the real deaL. nagasaki in rhinebeck for sushi. Across the river in highland don't miss the Would.

Where is Rossi's? What's good there?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

i'm looking at a place about 10 miles south of rhinebeck.  (Hyde Park/Pleasant Valley area.)  Rhinebeck is already out of my price range.

Stone,

Go further north. Not south.

woodburner

This is for a weekend place. Gotta take that drive into consideration.

rhinebeck -

le peit bistro

cripple creek

foster's coach house for the hot steak sandwiches

hyde park brewing company

coppola's in poughkeepsie is better than the one in hyde park imho

potown -

milanese restaurant

le pavillion - prix fixe out in the sticks, but worth it

haymaker - rt. 44 run by cia graduate, across from adam's fairacre farm

c's restaurant - rt. 55 pine plains(pok) go sunday for a wicked sauerbrauten

there is a new restaurant - cajun/n'orleans next to adams on 44. sorry don't remember the name right now. i had mentioned it in an earlier post

pleasant valley/millbrook -

copperfield's - rt. 44

dervin o'brien's - millbrook

hey, anyone want 6 acres of land in catskill? our buyers just backed out..... :angry:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 months later...

A friend of mine drove me through town the other day, pointing out the good eatin' places.

Ignorning her advice, I went to the Rhinebeck Grill (which she described as "really disappointnig"). It was really disappointing.

HEY PEOPLE! GOOD BURGERS ARE EASY TO MAKE.

What I was served was a thin patty, terribly uniform so as to suggest that it came frozen in a box of 16. Good waffle fries though.

• 4 weeks later...

Mark, any details on why they closed? They have been open for quite some time, I wonder why they decided to shut their doors...

Anthony

Anthony-

Was in Rhinebeck two weekends ago (actually, twice, on the way to and from Long Island; Rhinebeck is often our dining stop from Saratoga to NYC). Stopped in to see the folks from 40 West, pre-dinner just to chat. They were the ones who told me about CC's closing. Don't recall if they mentioned the reasons why. Had enjoyed a couple of meals there. Also enjoyed them (among others) at the annual Taste of the Hudson benefit at CIA. The 40 West gang told me about their plans to open a new Southwestern place in the same location. Was surprised, considering it was a decent place, but sorry, not sure if they mentioned why. Had a funny thing happen at CC a couple of years ago. Went to lunch there, happened to have a NYC Ballet shirt on (being from Saratoga, we are big fans of the ballet). The maitre 'd asked me if I was Jerome Robbins (there probably is some resemblance). I said, no, I'm not, and besides, he's no longer living. He fumbled for a minute and said "Oh, you look better than dead; I guess you're not him". May Jerome and Cripple Creek rest in peace.

Mark A. Bauman

If you liked Cripple Creek for dinner, I would like to suggest a place that is much better...Mina in Red Hook...It has a similar style menu, but with fantastic local ingredients and very innovative cooking. Service is great, and nice atmosphere...Just take rt 9 north from Rhinebeck into Red Hook, its about 7 minutes from the center of Rhinebeck. At the light in the middle of Red Hook (Market Street), make a left. Mina is about 200 feet down on the right. It is well worth the trip. We occasionally go up there for dinner, even if we have no other reason to be in town (we live in NJ, but are building in Red Hook)

By the way, funny story you had :biggrin: .

Anthony

• 4 months later...

Has anyone else noticed that there is great pizza up here? I've gotten a few pies from a little place on 9G, just south of Rt. 41 (don't know the name). Excellent, especially the crust which is flavorful and chewy. They use real sausage, not that ground, gristly stuff. I've also gotten great slices from a place in Red Hook (next to George Coles) and Rhinebeck.