• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nasty Ingredients

Fat Guy

3 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Coworker who is a hunter said those turkeys are not good to eat, they are filthy and flea infested most of the time.

Depends on where they have been eating.  Many of the ones up in the hinterlands  are quite good.  Just like with venison up here ...

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The wild turkeys here aren't very big, under well under ten pounds or so, I'd guess.  I used to enjoy going out for the newspaper In the early morning and hearing their distinctive gobble coming from down the road.

I had friends in a different neighborhood, however, who complained about the big groups that would come onto their property and poop all over their yard and driveway making quite a mess.

I don't see as many these days as I used to but sometimes there are great flocks of them along the highways.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2019 at 5:20 PM, scubadoo97 said:

it’s an acquired taste.   I use to hate them but learned to love them

as with many things, repeated exposure changed your perception 

I may be acquiring it.  I've tried a few other blues since my earlier post: Gorgonzola Mountain, Roquefort, Bleu d'Auvergne, Point Reyes Original Blue, and Stilton.  They're still not favorites, but I started to see their appeal when I tried them on burgers.  Roquefort surprised me since it has such a strong blue flavor, but the way that combined with the richness of the sheep's milk made it one of the blues I liked best.  Also liked Gorgonzola Mountain better than the others I've tried.  Didn't care for Stilton, but maybe sometime in the future I'll give it another try.

Edited by Chimayo Joe
Correction (log)
  • Like 1

FWIW, my very favorite burger is one topped with caramelized onions and crumbled blue cheese, with a good homemade mayo or light garlic aioli.

Try fresh figs, split, topped with blue cheese, roasted, and drizzled with honey. Or pears sandwiched with blue cheese (bread entirely optional). (I prefer Bosc or Asian pears for this.)

Blue cheese scrambled into eggs is excellent, too.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Try fresh figs, split, topped with blue cheese, roasted, and drizzled with honey. 

...or stem the fresh fig, cut a cross into the stem end, stuff with blue cheese, drape with prosciutto, bake for about 5 minutes in a 400F oven then drizzle with some good, aged balsamic.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 10/1/2019 at 1:56 PM, MetsFan5 said:

blue cheese totally kills any dish that it’s snuck into for me. I’ve tried it in all types— salads, with figs, at Beechers, at Eataly, on a filet and it’s a hard no for me. 

I like blue cheese but it usually makes my mouth itch. Took a long time for me to realize that isn't normal and I must have an allergy.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Nasty ingredients:

- Dill

- Lemon (do not like - but will use lime no problem) 

Cilantro - does not taste like soap - just tastes bad. 🤢 

Will not use these things - exception: One of my best friends LOVES lemon bars - I will make them for her and her only. Everyone else gets lime. Okay wait - Mr Cat and Cat son - Buttermilk Ranch - I make it for them - but that’s it for the dill ... and cilantro? NEVER. For no one. Ever. 

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

24 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@CatIsHungry, ranch can be made without dill!  Trust me.

I know! I keep telling those dirty heathens that! But they keep insisting on the dill 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Haha 2

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

6 hours ago, CatIsHungry said:

I know! I keep telling those dirty heathens that! But they keep insisting on the dill 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

I've never had it that way, but thanks for the idea. :P

(love me some dill, still have a bit surviving in my garden...it's been a very mild autumn to date)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 hours ago, CatIsHungry said:

Nasty ingredients:

- Dill

- Lemon (do not like - but will use lime no problem) 

Cilantro - does not taste like soap - just tastes bad. 🤢 

I love our differences.    These are some of my favorite flavors.    To the point that I have to put on the brakes to restrain myself from adding too much of them.  

Interestingly, DH and I have different perceptions of "sour".    To him, lemon is sour, vinegar is not; I am the opposite.  

eGullet member #80.

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

I've never had it that way, but thanks for the idea.

No! No! you gotta stop!!! 😱😂

8 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I love our differences.    These are some of my favorite flavors.    To the point that I have to put on the brakes to restrain myself from adding too much of them.  

Interestingly, DH and I have different perceptions of "sour".    To him, lemon is sour, vinegar is not; I am the opposite.  

🤣😂 I have love of ingredients I am that way about, too - I also love our differences - and I am sure there foods I love others wouldn’t touch with someone else’s fork 😳 

That is funny about you and your DH’s perception of sour ... have you decided which of you has ‘broken’ tastebuds? 😉😉

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

But it still tastes like a soapy stinkbug.

How old were you when ate it? What happened? Did you lose a bet? Or win? 😉😉

26 minutes ago, CatIsHungry said:

How old were you when ate it? What happened? Did you lose a bet? Or win? 😉😉

LOL The stink bug we have up here doesn't require eating to get the smell/taste. Its unique.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

LOL The stink bug we have up here doesn't require eating to get the smell/taste. Its unique.

Ahh - it is one of *those* smells ... 🤢 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1