• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nasty Ingredients

Fat Guy

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

never tasted stinkbug.

too challenging for me.

fortunately I don't have the Soap gene.

I'm thankful that I don't have the soap gene too.  Love cilantro.   

When we first moved to the Sault,  and were living in a Hotel for a month we ate out a lot.   There was a "Mexican" restaurant that I was looking forward to trying.  The salsa that he brought to the table did not have cilantro. Tasted like stewed tomatoes.   When I asked for some on so I could add it to the salsa he told me that none of his customers liked cilantro so he doesn't use it.  Needless to say we never went back.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

since we have two soaps here :

if cilantro is cooked , i.e. the flavor is in , say , a broth 

is that soapy to you?

I think AltonBrown in one of the newer GE made some sort of point about

C being cooked effects those w the soapy gene less soapily

Fellow soap here. I can eat small quantities of the fresh stuff in combo with other things. Cooked, it doesn't bother me, but it's more that I just can't taste it, so why bother putting it in?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

For me, it took maybe 12 months from going "Why is there SOAP in salsa?" when I first moved to the Southwest, to "Why isn't there more cilantro in the salsa?".    I grew up in the Midwest, far away from cilantro cuisine.  I clearly remember the day I was treated to dinner at a Sonoran style Mexican restaurant upon my arrival.   I took a big chip and loaded it with the table salsa, and stopped dead.   I thought someone had not rinsed out the bowl and was horrified.  But no one else at the table was reacting like me.   I did the polite thing and didn't spit it out.   But I didn't have anymore.   

But eating Sonoran foods almost daily (burros, enchiladas, etc) at the cheap hole-in-the-wall college-student-friendly places must have given me daily doses of cilantro and my brain learned it and now I love it and really can't enjoy salsas and Mexican soups without it.  In fact, I make a cilantro infused tequila for my margaritas.   I drink cilantro.   That's why I kind of doubt the "genetic" thing, because I was a card carrying soap taster, but now I can't detect any modicum of a soapy taste from cilantro.

Asparagus, on the other hand...........that's a weird genetic quirk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think one of the reasons people dislike asparagus is because of how it makes your urine smell. At least that's what one of my husband's cousins said when we talked about it. I don't get it, so it must be some kind of genetic anomaly that only some people have.

For me, hands down is brussel sprouts. And bourbon.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

1 hour ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I think one of the reasons people dislike asparagus is because of how it makes your urine smell. At least that's what one of my husband's cousins said when we talked about it. I don't get it, so it must be some kind of genetic anomaly that only some people have.

I don't have the source for this info but I read that they studied this asparagus effect and found everyone gets it when they eat the vegetable, but not everyone can smell/notice the impact it has on their urine. Some do, some don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2005 at 7:36 AM, jsolomon said:

Salt. I could never face down a whole plate of the vile stuff.

But, one time, I tried it on a plain cracker, and a whole new world opened up to me! Saltines! Whole grain crackers! Salt on my bread crusts when baking them.

One time, I even tried putting it on my steak before grilling. I don't have to tell you in advance, what a difference that made.

I still can't choke the stuff down raw, though.

Odd.  I eat salt by the handful when my peanuts are gone and I still have mai tai left.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

If I serve asparagus for dinner, I will smell the difference in my urine. Not a bad smell, just different. 

Love, love, love cilantro as does my wife.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I don’t like asparagus. They have a bitter, lead like taste to me. 

The stink bugs around me are back. They were a major issue here back in the fall of 2007. My cubicle at the back then Honeywell HQ was by the door and I’d freak out because the stink bugs gravitated to me whenever the door was opened. 

Then it was wild turkey season. They’re plentiful here and MEAN. Hissing and squawking and are honestly intimidatingly large. When I worked late (which was often) I had security come and chase them away to get to my car. 

Are wild turkeys considered  game?  I mean these birds looked like ostriches in terms of weight. 

Besides not liking asparagus that much, blue cheese totally kills any dish that it’s snuck into for me. I’ve tried it in all types— salads, with figs, at Beechers, at Eataly, on a filet and it’s a hard no for me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

I don’t like asparagus. They have a bitter, lead like taste to me. 

The stink bugs around me are back. They were a major issue here back in the fall of 2007. My cubicle at the back then Honeywell HQ was by the door and I’d freak out because the stink bugs gravitated to me whenever the door was opened. 

Then it was wild turkey season. They’re plentiful here and MEAN. Hissing and squawking and are honestly intimidatingly large. When I worked late (which was often) I had security come and chase them away to get to my car. 

Are wild turkeys considered  game?  I mean these birds looked like ostriches in terms of weight. 

Besides not liking asparagus that much, blue cheese totally kills any dish that it’s snuck into for me. I’ve tried it in all types— salads, with figs, at Beechers, at Eataly, on a filet and it’s a hard no for me. 

The stink bugs down here are plentiful and mean.  They overwinter in houses and the last few days they have been moving in.  Many have been dispatched.  Note, the most recently invasive Asian stink bug species also bite.  Plus they eat tomatoes.  Not sure if one could use them as a replacement for what some call coriander leaf.

According to Wikipedia the name coriander comes from tasting like bedbugs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

blue cheese totally kills any dish that it’s snuck into for me. I’ve tried it in all types— salads, with figs, at Beechers, at Eataly, on a filet and it’s a hard no for me. 

I've gotten over my fear of most cheeses,  but blues still cause me some apprehension. This year I've tried over 70 varieties of cheese that were new to me but only two blues (Cashel and Cambozola.)  Didn't hate them but didn't like them well enough to buy them again.  Those are supposedly mild blue cheeses. Thus far, I just don't "get" blues.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Why?  Have you tried them?

No. Because there is no evidence of that etymology, whatsoever. Perhaps Wikipedia was confusing etymology and entomology.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 10:03 PM, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

For me, hands down is brussel sprouts. And bourbon.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Have you tried roasting brussel sprouts so they develop a nice char. They're delicious.

• Like 1

Most certainly.  Turkey season begins this Saturday here in NJ and ends on 2 November.  I have several friends headed out up in Morris County.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 10/1/2019 at 2:31 AM, Chimayo Joe said:

I've gotten over my fear of most cheeses,  but blues still cause me some apprehension. This year I've tried over 70 varieties of cheese that were new to me but only two blues (Cashel and Cambozola.)  Didn't hate them but didn't like them well enough to buy them again.  Those are supposedly mild blue cheeses. Thus far, I just don't "get" blues.  

it’s an acquired taste.   I use to hate them but learned to love them

as with many things, repeated exposure changed your perception 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Most certainly.  Turkey season begins this Saturday here in NJ and ends on 2 November.  I have several friends headed out up in Morris County.

Really?!? I mean they’re everywhere here but they must weight like 30 plus lbs. ugh and they’re so mean! 

10 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Really?!? I mean they’re everywhere here but they must weight like 30 plus lbs. ugh and they’re so mean! 

All the more reason to put them on the plate.  I did not know wild turkeys were permitted to be hunted in NJ.  I occasionally see turkeys on my way to work and at best they are intimidating.