• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Half Decanters

coolhandluke

I am looking to do a wine promotion, offering a number of wines on our list by the half bottle, to be poured in demi-carafes or decanters. I've seen a bunch of decanters around, but nothing that really jumps out at me. Something short, with a wide base to get maximum surface area between the wine and some air, would be ideal. Anyone know where I could find something like this?

Edit for spelling

Edited by coolhandluke (log)

Bacon tastes good, porkchops taste good...

Here's an option from International Wine Accessories website. They have four different models to choose from. I recently got a catalog from them that had these items on sale at half price, if you call them up and for a large purchase I'd imagine they'd give you at least the same discount.

dc405003.jpg

I don't think I'm familiar with Winners. Is it a local chain, or can it be found on the web. Malik, those look great, but may be a bit expensive for what I'm looking for. Found some on decanters.com, but seem to be a bit large for my uses.

What about decanting the half bottles into a full sized decanter, rinsing the bottle then return it to the original bottle. This removes the sediment, and aerates the wine. This has always been in my opinion the most succesful method used at tastings. However if it's form over function you require then I suggest you search for glassware for other purposes like those funky bedside carafes or vases. BTW. Winners is a Canadian version of Ross.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Winners is a wholesale big bully, I mean big box store. They sell lotsa stuff for low prices or at least seemingly low prices. I picked up Tom Stevensons New Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia there for around $10.00 cad.

Saw some Riedel vinums a while back as well for cheap. Well cheap for Canada. :smile:

slowfood/slowwine

If you have access to a scientific suppy house or a university in your area you might see about purchasing lab flasks. They are usually good quality glass, come in neat shapes Erlinmeyer (pyramidal) and globe (I forget the name), and are tough enough for commercial use. They also come in graduated sizes that match half-bottles, bottles and magnums.

Thanks for all the help everyone. The Erlenmeyer Flask idea seems pretty interesting and functional, although many of them seem to be more expensive than the decanters I've come across. Lots to think about now, maybe over a couple of bottles of wine.....