• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bon Appétit Savor the Caribbean

Ed Hamilton

I just finished the first of 8, one-week cruises in the Eastern Caribbean as part of the Bon Appetit Savor the Caribbean program. Celebrity cruise lines flagship "Constellation," took the 1800 passengers to the Dominican Republic, Barbados, Grenada, Antigua, St Thomas and back to San Juan.

The good news is that Celebrity has recognized that they need to expand their on-board rum selection and they are expecting to have a dozen or so rums on board in just another week or so.

After flying in from Martinique, I joined the 965 foot ship in San Juan and enjoyed a wonderful week with the benefit of finding several good rums along the way. Actually I gave two lectures about rum and what to look for in the islands. St Thomas and Antigua turned up a couple of nice surprises, Brugal Extra Viejo and Rhum Clement respectively.

Savor the Caribbean

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.