• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Relationship with Front of the House

One of my most memorable meals came when you were at Gramercy Tavern, and the connection between the front of the house and y'all in the kitchen was superb. It seemed as if our captain and runners were able to convey every important detail to you to make our meal a better experience, and you were able to translate that onto the plate (including a most delicious dish of boiled peanuts -- but that's another story!).

What do you look for in your front of the house staff? Is it about experience, or is it really about a good fit with your personality?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

While we place a big emphasis on education and training with our front-of-the-house staff at Hearth, I don't believe that the basic qualities of good hospitality, such as personal warmth, an interest in learning, and a positive attitude, can be learned or taught. So, the hiring and interviewing process is very important. My partner, Paul Grieco, has an excellent sense for people with strong potential. Many of our staff didn't come to us with a whole lot of experience, but Paul does a great job of molding and inspiring them. He is able to really get the servers, hostesses, and managers excited about delivering great hospitality and service to the guest.