• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hideous Recipes

mags

CINNAMON SPICE PORK RIND CAKE

7 egg whites, room temperature

2 cups of pork rind flour (One 80 gram bag of pork rinds yields exactly one cup of pork rind flour)

2 1/4 cups Splenda or 6 tablespoons Sweetbalance (use more or less to adjust to personal tastes)

1/2 cup cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 tablespoon cinnamon extract

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup soured, scalded, heavy whipping cream (33-35% milk fat)

3/4 cup boiling water

4 egg yolks

Recipe http://www.carbsmart.com/cinnamon-spice-pork-rind-cake-recipe.html

This I have to try.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

CINNAMON SPICE PORK RIND CAKE

7 egg whites, room temperature

2 cups of pork rind flour (One 80 gram bag of pork rinds yields exactly one cup of pork rind flour)

2 1/4 cups Splenda or 6 tablespoons Sweetbalance (use more or less to adjust to personal tastes)

1/2 cup cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 tablespoon cinnamon extract

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup soured, scalded, heavy whipping cream (33-35% milk fat)

3/4 cup boiling water

4 egg yolks

Recipe http://www.carbsmart...ake-recipe.html

This I have to try.

When you do, please publish a report. I am curious about the properties of the pork rinds.

• 1 month later...

Here are 3 pics of the Pork Rind Cake

http://i.imgur.com/Py8C7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UQOWU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/f2HA3.jpg

I used 2 and a half bags of pork rinds in my Vitamix. I also used Splenda, but it would be better I think with Truvia or Erythnritol or Xylitol (aka Birch Sugar)

So? How did it taste?

It tasted like CAKE, like a rich moist cake.BUT As I said above, the Splenda was wrong for this IMO.

It gave it a "Diet Cake" flavor.

This would please brittle diabetics beyond belief!

Its even got a "crumb" to it!

It doesnt taste PORKY at all!

Ill bet it would be great with COCOA in it...

It kinda tastes like French Toast!

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Here are 3 pics of the Pork Rind Cake

http://i.imgur.com/Py8C7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UQOWU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/f2HA3.jpg

I used 2 and a half bags of pork rinds in my Vitamix. I also used Splenda, but it would be better I think with Truvia or Erythnritol or Xylitol (aka Birch Sugar)

So? How did it taste?

It tasted like CAKE, like a rich moist cake.BUT As I said above, the Splenda was wrong for this IMO.

It gave it a "Diet Cake" flavor.

This would please brittle diabetics beyond belief!

Its even got a "crumb" to it!

It doesnt taste PORKY at all!

Ill bet it would be great with COCOA in it...

It kinda tastes like French Toast!

I guess for diabetics it makes some sense but otherwise the idea of making a cake with PORK RINDS and fake sugar just seems...bizarre.

Gluten free and diabetic!

ETA: Also, what kind of brain would look at a bag of PORK RINDS (!!!!) and think, "hmmm, I could grind these up and make flour out of 'em and then bake a cake..." Who would think that?

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)

My favorite Jell-O recipe was lime Jell-O, dill, onions, sour cream and cucumbers.

JUST LOVELY

The great thing about Jell-O was that if you put mayo on it, it was a salad. But if you topped it with whipped cream it was desert. How versatile is that?

My grandmother used to make a layered jello salad with lime jello, sour cream, avocados and canned pears -- the avocados and pear pieces floating in the clear layers -- topped with mayo because it was a salad. And served on a lettuce leaf, also because salad. I LOVED it.

Ah, yes. I remember them well.

One that ran through our family was raspberry jello and sour cream. Or lime with cottage cheese.

In the '70s, Jello made a fruit flavored product that once whipped for 5 minutes, separated into 3 layers: clear, mousse and fluff. Kids loved it.

eGullet member #80.

My favorite Jell-O recipe was lime Jell-O, dill, onions, sour cream and cucumbers.

JUST LOVELY

The great thing about Jell-O was that if you put mayo on it, it was a salad. But if you topped it with whipped cream it was desert. How versatile is that?

My grandmother used to make a layered jello salad with lime jello, sour cream, avocados and canned pears -- the avocados and pear pieces floating in the clear layers -- topped with mayo because it was a salad. And served on a lettuce leaf, also because salad. I LOVED it.

In the '70s, Jello made a fruit flavored product that once whipped for 5 minutes, separated into 3 layers: clear, mousse and fluff. Kids loved it.

JELLO 1-2-3! I love love LOVED Jello 123 as a kid, and then one day it was just gone. My mom couldn't find it anywhere and the guy at the grocery store said they weren't making it any more. We theorized that they realized whatever magical chemical made the layers separate was like carcinogenic or something. I actually went as Jello 123 for Halloween one year, with bright pink tights, a pastel pink skirt, and a formerly-white shirt that had been accidentally washed with red stuff. Nobody had ever heard of it and nobody knew what I was supposed to be. I miss you, Jello 123.

JELLO 1-2-3! I love love LOVED Jello 123 as a kid, and then one day it was just gone. My mom couldn't find it anywhere and the guy at the grocery store said they weren't making it any more. We theorized that they realized whatever magical chemical made the layers separate was like carcinogenic or something. I actually went as Jello 123 for Halloween one year, with bright pink tights, a pastel pink skirt, and a formerly-white shirt that had been accidentally washed with red stuff. Nobody had ever heard of it and nobody knew what I was supposed to be. I miss you, Jello 123.

Smiling in delight! Have you ever tried just plain whipped jello? You let it get semi-jelled, then whip it with a mixer for a l o n g time, maybe 5 minutes. It becomes a delightfully artificially flavored mousse. Almost but not quite Jello 1-2-3.

eGullet member #80.

When I cooked at the home we filled the hobart with set jello and a whipped cream product and mixed it up for a very refreshing dessert. It was quite tasty! I remember Jello 1-2-3..thats a blast from the past.

Our general manager is responsible for some truly hideous concoctions. The other day he asked for a "great amuse bouche" consisting of a raw oyster topped with a quenelle of our chicken liver pate. It was so weird that we actually cracked into hysterics in the kitchen, wondering what the hell was going on, before he clicked and said to the chef "just do whatever you want". Thankfully, that dish never left the kitchen.

James.

Smiling in delight! Have you ever tried just plain whipped jello? You let it get semi-jelled, then whip it with a mixer for a l o n g time, maybe 5 minutes. It becomes a delightfully artificially flavored mousse. Almost but not quite Jello 1-2-3.

No! I must try!

No! I must try!

Yes, you must! It was a big thing to do in the 60s, to make a wonderful fluffy mousse thing. If you fold some whipped cream into it when it's done it's kind of an instant bavarian cream, fluffy style.