• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hideous Recipes

mags

*lol* that chicken salad is truly horrible.

but looking through the rest of that lady's stash of recipes, there are some that look worthwhile. skip over the amish stuff tho - most of it involves canned soup. i didn't know the amish were into that sort of thing, but whatever.

A soup combining beer and cheddar cheese. I found the recipe in the RSVP section of Bon Appetit section years ago...for some reason it sounded so good....in spite of the fact that I detest beer (or did then) and cheddar cheese. The result was gaggifyingly disgusting.

You guys are gonna make me cry, just like with that "worst meal at someone's home" thread!

Seriously though... a few years ago I was into that whole Death by Chocolate thing. Looked up a lot of different recipes out there, as opposed to Desaulnier's meringue-centered original. Well there are some doozies out there, a lot of them with some pretty liberal definitions of what an "indulgence" is (and here I was thinking an indulgence should TASTE like one...)

For example, here's a classic in processed-food-product application:

Friends don't let friends eat frozen whipped topping...

And here's a whole slew of em:

You call that fake? THIS is fake!

FYI, there's now a rock group in Williamsburg, VA, birthplace of Death By Chocolate, called "Death by Chocolate". Virginia's answer to NJ's "Fountains of Wayne," I guess...

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

For all of you that have ever tried Weight Watchers, this will definitely inspire you to come up with creative ways to watch those calories!

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

Mmmmmm...Jellied Tomato Refresher.

3 words -

fluffy mackerel pudding

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

What's truly frightening is the user who apparently loves these bars, and finds them especially delicious when dipped in gravy.

Perhaps the gravy makes them slide down one's throat fast enough to avoid the actual chewing .. and is, therefore, a blessing in disguise? :hmmm:

I found this hilarious too.

Here are the two reviews for that recipe. The second one just cracks me up in a master of the obvious kind of way. And they still gave it three stars!

A cook on 9/11/2003

OMG, these are so good, with bacon being like my favorite food, I can't think of anything better than these bacon bars. I highly suggest dipping them in gravy.

A cook on 10/23/2002

went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Here's one my mother used to make....really truly, honest engine!

Shrimp Mousse

1 can tomato soup, warm with no water

3 oz. lemon Jello

Stir and add above two ingredients together. 8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.

1/2 sm. onion

1/2 green pepper

1/2 c. celery

1/2 c. salad dressing

Salt

Pepper

Garlic

Pimento

1 (8 oz.) sm. shrimp chopped

Pour into greased mold.

~~~

As I remember, for a recipe with such a cornicopia of gag-inducing ingredamints (as someone used to say...Justin Wilson?) it wasn't half bad!

I was going to quote that second bacon bar commenter too! There truly is something deeply perfect about "went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together."

Edited by redfox (log)

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

My way old (circa late 50's early 60's) Joys of Jell-O cookbook has a whole mess of doozies, some even featuring celery flavored Jell-O. The real doozie is barbeque salad, featuring barbeque cubes (lime jello, tomato sauce, vinegar), cubed and served over a fed of greens. Possible salad additions include mayo, cottage cheese, shrimp, crab, a can of tuna, etc.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Or if you need something red, her raspberry tomato aspic might do the trick.

Not sure about raspberry tomato aspic, but I sure love the regular old kind. I make mine with V-8. Four cups total, dissolve two packets of unflavored gelatin in about half a cup of the cold juice. Heat up the rest and add some seasonings--like dill and garlic and hot pepper and anything else I have around the stove. Add the dissolved gelatin to the hot juice and mix well. Then pour into small molds or one biggun--like a loaf pan, so you can slice the aspic later. I love this for lunch with a creamy dressing (half sour cream, half mayo, bit of dill and horseradish). This is one "jello" that I can stand! :wub:

Here's My Vote for two of the vilest creations I've encountered in a while....Who can guess where they originate?

Iceberg Wedge with Blue Cheese Dressing, Homemade Turkey Tasso, Stuffed Egg, Pickled Okra, Cayenne Crackers and Hot Sauce-Butter Glazed Tomatoes

Almond-Crusted Plaquemines Parish Oysters with Melting Brie, Bacon-Brown Sugar Tomato Glaze and Rosemary-Fennel Apple Slaw

Tell me It's not just me......

Tuna Wiggle

1 can tuna- packed in oil, not drained

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup mayo

4 slices wonder bread toasted.

Dump first three ingredients into a pan and stir until blended. Bring mixture

to a simmer and continue to stir until well heated. Spoon mixture over toasted

bread. Enjoy!

It's amazing that we lived past childhood.

Melissa

Tuna Wiggle

1 can tuna- packed in oil, not drained

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup mayo

4 slices wonder bread toasted.

Dump first three ingredients into a pan and stir until blended. Bring mixture

to a simmer and continue to stir until well heated. Spoon mixture over toasted

bread. Enjoy!

It's amazing that we lived past childhood.

A proper tuna wiggle does not contain mayo, nor is it served over bread, but rather egg noodles.

Let's not forget "cowboy sandwiches" -- run spam and velveeta through a food grinder (or food processor), smear it on squishy white hamburger buns and run under the broiler. My family of 5 could not (or would not) finish a single 1/2 bun.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

A friend recently described to me some truffles made by our very own phlawless from Magnolia Grill that consisted of chocolate, peanut butter, and bacon. I WANT SOME!!!

We made something like this in my Garde Manger class. They were damn good.

Noise is music. All else is food.