• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hideous Recipes

mags

Here's My Vote for two of the vilest creations I've encountered in a while....Who can guess where they originate?

Iceberg Wedge with Blue Cheese Dressing, Homemade Turkey Tasso, Stuffed Egg, Pickled Okra, Cayenne Crackers and Hot Sauce-Butter Glazed Tomatoes

Almond-Crusted Plaquemines Parish Oysters with Melting Brie, Bacon-Brown Sugar Tomato Glaze and Rosemary-Fennel Apple Slaw

Tell me It's not just me......

I give up, but the sad thing is that these would, in addition to being pretty icky, require a lot of effort. At least the cowboy sandwiches could be pawned off as lack of budget and time.

A plaquemine reminds me of something really ugly you would find during a trip to the dentist, yish.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I have toyed with the idea of doing an all White Castle dinner party using recipes that call for Sliders...........my husband's one junk food weakness and passion. I would do White Castle appetizer meatballs, nachos, Vidalia onion dip, turkey with White Castle stuffing, brocolli and White Castle casserole, macaroni and White Castle casserole, twice baked Slider potatoes, to name a few. My husband thinks it is a great idea. I hate them, so have not yet put this together (notice I have avoided the temptation to abbreviate as WC). Our friends would think it was a riot, specially since we are usually haute cuisine types and the most fun of all is that the wine would still be wonderful. No Ripple at this party!

Here's My Vote for two of the vilest creations I've encountered in a while....Who can guess where they originate?

Iceberg Wedge with Blue Cheese Dressing, Homemade Turkey Tasso, Stuffed Egg, Pickled Okra, Cayenne Crackers and Hot Sauce-Butter Glazed Tomatoes

Almond-Crusted Plaquemines Parish Oysters with Melting Brie, Bacon-Brown Sugar Tomato Glaze and Rosemary-Fennel Apple Slaw

Tell me It's not just me......

Well, that would be Louisiana.

However, that's not on any Louisiana menu I've ever seen.

Give Up? EMERIL'S!!! Repulsive.....As to be expected

I checked out a little cookbook from the Youth section at the library today, so I could creep out some little kids if we make it out to Crow Agency at Easter. It is "Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes", by Roald Dahl and Quentin Blake. It is a most excellent cookbook, and the stuff is really quite inventive. It's all recipes from Dahl books for kids:James and the Giant Peach, Charley and the Chocolate Factory, Rhyme Stew, and Witches. Any of you all with sprouts, or doing something like mags, this is cool. There's a bird pie from the Twits that has what looks like scrawny birds' legs sticking straight up out of the pie, Stink Bug Eggs,Crispy Wasp Stings on a Piece of Buttered Toast,Hansel and Gretel Spare Ribs, and Mr. Twit's Beard Food. 5 STAR.

• 5 years later...

There will always be a special place in my heart for Thunderbolt Chili

Ingredients:

4-5 strips of bacon

cracked black pepper

1 pound ground beef

1/2-1 pound ground turkey

2 onions

1 bell pepper

1 fennel

1-2 carrots

1/2 eggplant

2/3 teaspoon curry powder

2 tablespoons crushed red pepper

1-2 tablespoons dried rosemary

1-2 tablespoons adobo seasoning

5-7 garlic cloves

3 tablespoons fig jam

1/2 cup yellow mustard

1-2 tablespoons Thai chili sauce

1-2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika

1/2 cup barbecue sauce

1/3 jar of pickles (with juice)

1 poblano chili

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons salt

1/3 cup spaghetti sauce

1 cup beer

1/2-1 cup cooked rice

1 handful of baby arugula

2/3 cup cherry tomatoes

1 small package pork rinds (crushed)

1 handful of cilantro

unlimited pepper jack cheese (shredded)

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 can kidney beans

1 can pinto beans

PS: I am a guy.

There will always be a special place in my heart for Thunderbolt Chili

I think I know from whence the thunderbolt is discharged.

A bit over-the-top, perfect for a Superbowl.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Of the things my mom actually used to make, concord grape pie would have to be the winner. It had a totally repulsive texture.

I'd like to recommend The Comapny Cookbook as an example of when not to publish a cookbook.

Oh. My. God. That's the most revoltingly hysterical, or hysterically revolting, thing I've ever seen.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Of the things my mom actually used to make, concord grape pie would have to be the winner. It had a totally repulsive texture.

I'd like to recommend The Comapny Cookbook as an example of when not to publish a cookbook.

Oh. My. God. That's the most revoltingly hysterical, or hysterically revolting, thing I've ever seen.

Oddly enough, I actually LIKE sausage balls! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I don't have the recipe, but I was recently at a potluck where someone brought a lemon meringue pie. Which sounds ok, but she used some kind of sugar substitute, topped it with sugarfree/fatfree Coolwhip, and as an added touch, sprinkled the top with crushed black walnuts.

Nuts of any sort don't belong on LM pie, and black walnuts in particular belong out under the black walnut tree for squirrels to bury.

sparrowgrass

• 2 years later...

I was on vacation with my family in North Carolina last week and happened to find a gem of a cookbook in our condo. It was from the Food Lion Procurement Department-- a la The Company Cookbook referenced above. Vast quantities of ground beef and Velveeta. But one of the recipes just sent us over the edge. I remembered this thread from long ago and thought I'd share.

Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup

2 boxes frozen broccoli

1 small jar of Cheez Whiz

2 cans of Cream of Celery Soup (because everyone begins to make soup with a couple of cans of soup!)

10 ounces of half & half

Cook all in a crock pot for 6 hours. Stir occasionally.

Just the thought of broccoli cooking for 6 hours is making me nauseous.

CINNAMON SPICE PORK RIND CAKE

7 egg whites, room temperature

2 cups of pork rind flour (One 80 gram bag of pork rinds yields exactly one cup of pork rind flour)

2 1/4 cups Splenda or 6 tablespoons Sweetbalance (use more or less to adjust to personal tastes)

1/2 cup cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 tablespoon cinnamon extract

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup soured, scalded, heavy whipping cream (33-35% milk fat)

3/4 cup boiling water

4 egg yolks

Recipe http://www.carbsmart.com/cinnamon-spice-pork-rind-cake-recipe.html

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

this 100% addiction to jello in the 50/60es in the US still has me in tickles, not a single one of those recipes looks even remotely good, but must have looked like some Eichler designed food item to everybody back in the time of built in toasters and ironing boards. And the Jetsons.

Hey, looks like something astronauts might eat!

:-D

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I've lived in plenty of old apartments with built in ironing boards, but toasters?

And, yes, those jello molds could be pretty tasty and refreshing on a hot summer day. Tupperware sold special molds for them.

And, yes, those jello molds could be pretty tasty and refreshing on a hot summer day.

We have discussed the layered jello - oddly appealing and quite beautiful

I was a kid in the 50's as well and Jello was really quite good; it was something kinda new and different and there was precious little in the way of dessert offerings for kids in those days, everything had to be made from scratch by Mom. And, it JIGGLED!!!!

The great thing about Jell-O was that if you put mayo on it, it was a salad. But if you topped it with whipped cream it was desert. How versatile is that?

My grandmother used to make a layered jello salad with lime jello, sour cream, avocados and canned pears -- the avocados and pear pieces floating in the clear layers -- topped with mayo because it was a salad. And served on a lettuce leaf, also because salad. I LOVED it.

Are the actual Weight Watchers cards recipes anywhere online or just the fronts?

I really wanna try that fluffy mackeral thing I love Mackeral

Ask and ye shall receive....

ETA - And here's the full collection of the cards....

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

That sounds awesome, SylviaLovegren! Jello don't get no respect.

My mother could make jello with slices of canned fruit suspended in it. Or shreds of carrot. Or a layer of green jello (lime? peppermint extract?, a layer of chocolate pudding and finished with a layer of whipped cream, cut in squares for dessert.

Aspic is just jello's city cousin.

Edited by annabelle (log)