• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reservations on Holidays at NJ restaurants

Lreda

Holiday's are starting to piss me off year after year. Now, I don't overbook on holidays, don't want the bad rep but I'm reconsidering. An evening like V-Day only frustrates me more. I had no-shows at 5:30, 6:00, 6:30, 7:30, 8:30 and 9:30. Everyone confirmed. I have 36 tables in the main dining room and using a system of each duece eating in a 1hr 45 min span I booked the room. I didn't have a single table wait more than 10 minutes for a table. My servers, all 10 of them, didn't make what they could have. How long are you willing to wait for a table on a holiday in Jersey? It took my bartender and head waiter 15 minutes just to get me away from the reservation book as I was ready at 12:30 last night to start calling the no-shows and ask if I could send my chef home as I wanted to make sure their reservation would be honored. We all lost money last night, my servers, bartenders, bus boys and myself. From now, I will tell all my fellow masochists, " OVERBOOK". They don't give a shit about us.

Not for anything but I turned down a minimum of 750-1000 calls since Wednesday alone. People that wanted to dine with us weren't allowed because people book reservations at 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 in differeent places based on whatever whim they want. Nevermind the time it takes to book a certain amount of people and your regulars that call you 2 days before and you have to refuse or coddle with the hope that you don't keep them waiting for a half hour.

Ahhhhh, I'm done kvetching.

Although it can't be enforced, the act of taking a credit a credit card number is usually enough to motivate someone to call and cancel. Most people do not know it is unenforceable, nor will they want to hassle disputing a charge. There is no rule that you can't charge someone's card (that I know of). You just lose in the event of a dispute.

In addition, American Express has a guaranteed reservation program and you can charge a no show fee of up to $25 per person. The problem is that anyone who doesn't have AMEX is either out of luck or have faith that they'll honor it. If a significant amount of your customers use American Express (which is likely if you are upscale), this might be a viable option.

As someone who has never worked in the restaurant business, I'm completely appalled to read your post. Lreda--I definitely would have been making those calls at 12:30 if I owned the restaurant! :wink:

But as a consumer, even before I got to Glenn's comments, my first thought was, "Can't they take credit card numbers?" I agree that the mere thought that people might get charged $25-50 might inspire them to call and cancel. Sadly, it might be the only way to reel in a few of these oh-so-self-absorbed patrons. And let's face it--with the glut of cell phones, there really is NO excuse for the lack of calls!

This leads me to ask, though...is there a formula/% that you use when overbooking? And/or, even on holidays, do you leave a few tables unbooked at each seating so you can accommodate a few walk-ins? Just curious.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

And PS, last Saturday (Feb 7--a non-holiday) a group of 8 of us went to Casa Vasca to celebrate my birthday; we had a 7:30 reservation and were finally seated at 8:55. The group had mixed feelings about the wait--most of us felt like it wasn't too big a deal b/c we had time to b.s. and drink plenty of sangria before we went in for dinner. :raz: BUT...the owner explained that they were waiting for the second of two four-tops to leave--and that the customers had been sitting there with their check for 40 minutes! She was also smart enough to buy us a pitcher of sangria for our troubles, which we graciously accepted. :wub: We then went in and had a terrific meal and a great time.

I realize that most people aren't so willing to "go with the flow" when they have a reservation, but some of us really can be cooperative! I hope you have at least a few patrons like that, Lreda.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I agree with Tommy and I'd add Mother's Day to Valentine's Day. I try to avoid eating out both of those days. It's like being on the road with Sunday drivers anyway. I feel your pain, you get the worst diners making reservations and then they don't show up anyway.

Bullshit about services not being rendered. You render a service just by taking a reservation and another one by holding a table. If I buy a theater or concert ticket, do I get any more service if I don't attend the performance than if I don't honor my reservation at a restaurant? Restaurants should have a guaranteed prix fixe and it's paid when you make the reservation. You can buy beverages and supplemental dishes when you're at the restaurant just the way the orange drink in the lobby of the theater isn't included in the price of the ticket. And yes, the service charge would be included in the price of dinner when you reserve. Waiters are no less professional than the guys in the kitchen or the performers on stage who are not usually tipped and who have a salary.

Anyone want to borrow my soapbox? :biggrin:

Edit: Oh yeah, I don't live in NJ and rarely eat there.

Edited by Bux (log)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The thing is, your regulars are smart enough to avoid ANY restaurant on a holiday. Although, like i said, plenty called Friday night hoping to get in. I had been booked between 6 & 9:30 for two weeks. I left two tables open for every 1hr and a half just in case we screwed up. Happens. The thing that drove me nuts was that the majority of no-shows were at prime time, 7:30 to 8:15. 7 no shows and all confirmed as of 7 days prior. Boggles the mind. :wacko:

The thing is, your regulars are smart enough to avoid ANY restaurant on a holiday.

they might not mind going out if they knew they wouldn't be surrounded by a bunch of, well, tourists, for lack of a better word. hell, if you market it as such, you'll be doing them a favor, as they'll actually have some place to go if they want to go out that night. an extension of that idea might include actually sending out "invites" to this "closed" and invite-only event.

Edited by tommy (log)

This leads me to ask, though...is there a formula/% that you use when overbooking?  And/or, even on holidays, do you leave a few tables unbooked at each seating so you can accommodate a few walk-ins?  Just curious.

Most restaurants do have a formula or at least use some system for overbooking. And if you're overbooking, it only goes to follow that you're not leaving tables open. Sometimes it works out ok for everyone, sometimes not. However, for VD or mothers day, such formulas go out the window. I forget the latest statistic, but the percentage of no shows is staggering. As a result, more and more restaurants are using American Express' program.

And Lou, for Xmas eve and New Year's Eve, I had to give a credit card number for a reservation at Bernards Inn and Nicholas respectively, though in the case of Bernards Inn it was probably enforceable as they are a B&B. There's no harm in taking it and like I said, the worst you can do is lose in the event of a dispute.

LOU--It is inexcusable for someone not to call and cancel a reservation. Some ideas--

Be sure to keep a list of the no-shows and never give them a reservation again.

Call them this week and ask why they didn't call to cancel.

Definetely take a credit card #. American Express will back you. If they don't have an American Express card ask them to mail in a check.

Have the customer call YOU back to recomfirm. If they don't call back one to two days before the reservation then give away the table.

Keep a waiting list.

And always feel free to vent here. :biggrin:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

LOU--It is inexcusable for someone not to call and cancel a reservation. Some ideas--

The theory goes that sending a man to the moon had a profound effect on some people's brains. Well, at least that's my theory.

Be sure to keep a list of the no-shows and never give them a reservation again.
I can't swear to it, but I believe the OpenTable software enables you to easily do this. I'm not sure how prevalent OpenTable's reservation system is in NJ but it might be worth looking into. If you no show on a reservation booked on OT, they pull out your nosehairs one by one, or ban you from the system after a few times of such behavior.
Definetely take a credit card #. American Express will back you. If they don't have an American Express card ask them to mail in a check.
Or drop off cash. Be aware though, if you choose to use the Amex guaranteed program, you need to abide by some fairly simple rules and sign an agreement with them.
Have the customer call YOU back to recomfirm. If they don't call back one to two days before the reservation then give away the table.
I don't think this would work in general, but for special occasions, I think it's a good idea.

I don't think this would work in general, but for special occasions, I think it's a good idea.

some restaurants do operate like this. i assumed that's what Lou was doing for V-day, but maybe i'm wrong. if i'm wrong, definitely have *them* call *you*. obviously that has to be made very clear when you're accepting the reservations.

What annoys me most about your post is the consequences to serious customers, who are turned down because the restaurant is booked.

This has always been a very sore point throughout my life. In high school I was selected to live in Moscow for a year as the first AFS student in America to live in the Soviet Union as an exchange student ever. I was the runner up and the girl who was chosen, cancelled, five days before the trip, too late for any new arrangements to have been made.

People need to commit or be accountable for their actions.

I had called several restaurants for an early dinner at five and they were all booked. Walked by a few of them at 5:30 on Saturday and they were almost empty. I even explained to the reservationist that we would be in and out , so to speak and would require no longer than an hour for dinner. Hoping I will not be bombarded here, I really think it is an American thing. Many Americans simply cannot commit to engagements, plans, or even dinner reservations. Perhaps it is a cultural thing.

Having spent many years in Vienna, this was a major complaint of frieinds and family: many Americans always cancelled at the last minute, something unheard of in Austria. Lou, I wish there was a solution and I feel for you. Had I been in NJ I might have even called for availability. Anyway...we ended up at the 2nd Ave deli on the Lower East side and had delicious matzah ball soup and half a pastrami sandwich. No wait, good service, and fun. Romantic? Well, yeah, I guess it was.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

What annoys me most about your post is the consequences to serious customers, who are turned down because the restaurant is booked. 

It's been said before, but if credit card guranantees were widely accepted, no one would have a problem. Except for those who don't have a credit card.

As tempting as it is to close the restaurant to everyone except "regulars", I think that gives a lot of opportunity to piss someone off. If I have two kids and hire a babysitter 6x a year for a dinner out, and twice I went to AAG, well, in my mind, I'd be a regular. If I couldnt' get a reso due to the holiday, I'd accept it, but if I couldn't get a reso due to a "regulars only" policy, I'd think twice about going htere again. Remember, all the "regulars" at one point walked through the door for the first time.

Lou's anger and disgust are warranted...it's a pervasive problem with no easy solution. As a consumer, I would not be bothered in the least if a credit card # was demanded. I have even signed and faxed back reservation commitments to some restaurants. And, with the right phone receptionist, it can also be an opportunity to briefly educate the consumer: Thank you, Ms. Smith, for your interest in dining with us on Saturday, Feb 14 at 7pm. I do have a table available at that time. In order to confirm that reservation, I will need a credit card number an expiration date. CUSTOMER: WHY? "Well, Ms Smith, it is unfortunate that some customers are not considerate in making or cancelling reservations, and in order to insure that those clients who will honor their reservation are seated in a timely matter, we need to make an effort to confirm each guests resrevation. This is especailly important on a holiday, ...yada yada

Sorry to hear this Lou...

I take Credit Card numbers...I agree that even if it is not enforceable that people will want to call and cancel just because you have thie CC number and they don't want to piss you off. Confirm everything and honestly get Open Table. I'm getting it. It will tell you exactly how many times people have canceled or no-showed on you. Then when those people call..DON"T take a reservation from them. Eventually you will build a nice reliable list. You will immediately look at someone's profile and know their dining habits. Of course you will always be getting new people. Those reservations you must stay on top of. Or, don't take new customers on holidays. Only take reservations from people who have been there before. If they have no profile with you just put them on a waiting list. If they have a good profile then give them a reservation.

Also,

I tell my customers to call me to confirm but if they don't call I will NOT give away the reservation. For the most part those people still show up and then i would have no table for them. I really don't think it's a good practice. Having people call you just helps eliminate some of the calls you have to make. And elimintaes having to leave messages for people and hoping they call back.

and Finally,

How big is your restaurant Lou?

10 servers is a ton!

Anthony

Like all of you, I found the behavior of these no-shows thoroughly reprehensible. Their total lack of conscience and disregard for the effects of their actions on Lou, his staff and the would-be diners who were turned away is disgraceful.

I have never understood why restaurant reservations don't work the same way as hotel reservations. That is, the first night's stay is charged to your card. If you don't cancel by 6 p.m., the charge remains even if you don't show up. I think restaurateurs should not just take credit card numbers but assign a dollar figure based on the menu prices, and diners should be informed that if they don't cancel by a certain time, they will be charged that amount. A hit in the pocketbook would definitely change the behavior of thoughtless diners, particularly those who make multiple reservations, then don't bother to cancel the ones they don't use.

Why do restaurateurs think that this type of procedure would turn off diners? If it became an industry-wide practice, diners would accept it as the natural way that restaurants do business.