• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Place names that include specific food references

Pan

How about Kona, Hawaii?

A moment of digression (although not totally, since it involves another kind of "food").....

The Portuguese find the mention of Kona coffee quite discomfiting and/or hilarious because "cona" means something quite... um... specific... in Portuguese. (Amusingly, there's a town called "Coina" near Palmela, the signs for which are constantly having their "i's" spray-painted out.

An ill-timed spasm of discretion is preventing me from offering a direct translation here.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

And Mayhaw is slipping up. I just remembered two towns in his neck of the woods. I remember the signs on I12

Satsuma, LA

Pumpkin Center, LA - both near Baton Rouge

There's also a Chunky, Mississippi (as in the candy bar) between Meridian and Jackson

Screw it. It's a Butterball.