• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Each City's Signature Dish

Pan

OK, where should we start? Is this topic too big? Well, here goes:

Siena: Panforte, Ricciarelli (marzipan cookies).

Naples: Pizza margherita

Florence: Bistecca alla fiorentina

Nice: Pisaladiere, Torte blette, Salade nicoise

Kota Bharu, Malaysia: Ayam percik (chicken roasted with delicious spices and herbs)

Coast of Terengganu: Kerpok lekor (fish toasts with high fish content)

Beijing: Beijing duck, jiaozi with pork and whatever that aromatic green herb was

OK, I know there are people a lot more expert than I. Go to it!

Michael aka "Pan"

Budapest: Gulyasleves (Goulash soup), Libamaj (goose liver), Gundel palascinta, retes (strudel).

And for the record, this thread was inspired by Each City's signature dish?, a thread which referred to U.S. cities only.

Which city in Canada would you most associate with Poutine? Quebec?

Michael aka "Pan"

By the same standard, you could say that New York is a state and not a city. In the province of Quebec, "Quebec" most commonly means the city.

Michael aka "Pan"

Which city in Canada would you most associate with Poutine? Quebec?

From what I've been told, Poutine originated at a small restaurant in Warwick, southwest of Quebec City.

Strasbourg: Tarte Flambe and Backeofe

Venice: Risi e Bisi

From Austria:

Vienna: Wienerschnitzel, Sachertorte, Kaiserschmarren, Tafelspitz mit Apfelkrein, Wiener Backhendl

(Kaiserschmarren: Emperor's Pancake (a shredded sweet pancake-like dish lightened w/eggwhites and flavored with rum, lemon peel and raisins)

(Tafelspitz mit Apfelkrein: an Austrian "pot au feu" or boiled beef with apple-horseradish relish/sauce)

(Wiener Backhendl: Viennese Fried Chicken)

Salzburg: Salzburger Nockerln

(a type of Austrian Souflee flavored with lemon and rum or white wine)

Innsbruck: Tiroler SpeckKnodel

(Bread Dumpling with Bacon or Speck)

Linz: Linzertorte

(tart with ground almond dough, filled with black currant jelly and covered with lattice topping)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Palermo - Pasta con Sarde - Pasta with sardines, raisins, pine nuts and wild fennel.

Capri - Caprese salad - fresh mozzarella, basil and tomato with EVOO, S&P.

Bologna - Bolognese sauce - pasta with chopped meat sauce

Tortellini in Brodo- tortellini with chicken broth, parmiggiano and balsamico

Milan - Risotto Milanese - saffron risotto

Valencia - Paella

Barcelona - Pan amb tomat - grilleed bread with rubbed garlic, tomato and EVOO.

London - fish and chips

Carcassone - Cassoulet

Marseilles - Bouillabaisse

Naples - sfogliatella - flaky pastry

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

By that standard one should say that New York is the name of both the city and the state, which is the case. Quebec City is

the name of the city and the province.

Michael aka "Pan"

Nice - Salade Nicoise

Barcelona - Paella, tapas

London - Fish and Chips

Amsterdam - Herring

Brussels - Frites

Paris - Croque Monsiuer or Madame

Salzburg - those chocolate truffles with the picture of Mozart on them!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Salzburg - those chocolate truffles with the picture of Mozart on them!

Ah, those Mozartkugeln! Our city guide explained that the gold-wrapped ones were superior to the silver-wrapped ... and sold only in Salzburg ...

Mozartkugeln have a core made of marzipan, surrounded by a layer of dark and a layer of light nougat crème, coated in the finest chocolate. :wub:

They are divine!! Thanks for reminding me about them once again! I bought a number of them on my visit to Salzburg a few months ago ... but gave them all away upon my return....

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Rome:

Pasta Carbonara,

Fettucini all'Alfredo,

Artichokes, Roman-Style (steamed, and stuffed w/garlic, lemon, parsely, mint)

Genoa: Pesto alla Genovese

Gouda, Netherlands: Stroopwafel

(a little difficult to describe these, but it is a type of large cookie made with two waffled-crisp butter cookie layers and filled with caramel inside).

Lubeck, Germany: Marzipan

Vienna: Viennese Coffee

Venice: Bellini Cocktail (Prosecco and White Peach Nectar)

Florence: Crostini di fegato (Chicken Liver Crostini)

Paris: macarons

(do other people agree? I learned about macarons on e-gullet (unfortunately after my first visit to Paris, but these seem to be 'native' and special to Paris.

(This is a fun thread, reliving my travels; since--as I'm sure most e-Gulleteer's do--I love to find the dishes that are a specialty in the cities I visit)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Venice - from all I've read, it's a toss-up between Fegato alla Veneziana (liver) and Fritto misto (mixed fried seafood).

You can certainly find plenty of both on menus there. I prefer the Fritto misto myself.

Zurich - Züri Gschnetzlets (diced veal in a cream sauce with sliced mushrooms) served with Rösti (grated potato formed into a large patty and fried golden-brown on both sides).

A week's worth of calories crammed into one meal. And so worth it!

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Am I the first to correct Katie on the Fish n Chips thing?

The signature dish of London must be Chicken Tikka Masala! (or curry in general)

Yeah, Fish and Chips is certainly not really a London thing per se...good chippies can be found all over Britain.

Also, I would say Balti must be Birmingham's signature dish.

Am I the first to correct Katie on the Fish n Chips thing?

The signature dish of London must be Chicken Tikka Masala!  (or curry in general)

Yeah, Fish and Chips is certainly not really a London thing per se...good chippies can be found all over Britain.

Also, I would say Balti must be Birmingham's signature dish.

Balti?

for more on balti, check out:

http://www.owlsprings.com/the_balti_page/

Interesting, thanks for the link--I live in an area in the U.S. with one of the highest densities of Indian immigrants and restaurants but I've never heard of it. I need to check with some of my Indian friends to find out if it is also out here.

Madrid--Cocido Madrileno

Valencia--Paella

Belem--Pasteis de Nata

I know I'm being lazy re: googling--but a first hand description would be even better, if you've eaten them. :smile:

Cocido Madrileno?

Pasteis de Nata?

Edited by ludja (log)