• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pop or Soda

hillvalley

Massachusetts and Connecticut...so close yet soooo far apart.

In Mass where I grew up:

We called it tonic, and it was a bubbler (bubblah). We also called certain types of sandwiches- subs.

In CT where I live now:

Soda, water fountain, and grinders. Even at Subway...kids ask for grinders.

It's always been soft drinks for me but when you buy a six pack or two...  do you ask the clerk to put it in a sack...  or a bag?

"Ya got a bag with handles?"

"Yeah."

"Gimme one, please." :laugh:

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Here in CT it's soda but growing up in Boston it was called

tonic.

Same here! I grew up in Boston and drank 'TONIC'. If I didn't drink tonic, then it was a 'FRAPPE'.

Here in NJ we drink 'soda' but the word 'tonic' brings a flavor to my tongue.

Massachusetts and Connecticut...so close yet soooo far apart.

In Mass where I grew up:

We called it tonic, and it was a bubbler (bubblah).  We also called certain types of sandwiches- subs.

In CT where I live now:

Soda, water fountain, and grinders.  Even at Subway...kids ask for grinders.

Which is why Connecticut was kicked out of New England like 100 years ago. :wink:

But seriously, you're right. I can hardly speak for 10 square blocks of Cambridge, let alone New England. In fact the first time I heard bubblah I thought the person was insane, but then I'm not from around here. Likewise tonic. Where I'm from it's a drinking fountain and pop.

-michael

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

Connecticut here, and yeah...I call it soda, no matter what the brand name is. "Mom, I'm getting a soda." "Yeah, okay."

I saw what other people in my state decided to call this. Wow, there were some surprising call names:

"what ever is on bottle (i.e. sprite, mist, or name brand)"

And one person decided to give a lecture on how soda will decay teeth. Who really cares?

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

Wisconsinite here...

The carbonated sweet stuff is soda and you drink water from the Bubbler. Ya der hey.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

In South Carolina, of course pretty much everyone says "Coke" no matter what the beverage... They also call it a "cold drink". My grandmother, however, used to always call it "Pepsi-Coh-luh". She would always ask us when we went over if we wanted a "Pepsi-Coh-luh".

Where I grew up in Northwest Florida, my Granny always asked for a Nehi.

I use - coke

water fountain

go box

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

when I was a kid, it didn't matter what you called it, since my mom never let you drink it or order it.

It was all milk and juice at our house.

Nope, no kool-aid either.

I can't imagine a childhood without neon colored kool-aid, that is so unfortunate! What a rip-off! Do you bring kool-aid with you to family gatherings now, just to make your point?

I'm a native Seattleite and most of us from here call it "pop" although I've heard the transplants call it "soda" and "coke" (when they mean 7-up). I've even started calling it "soda" now. Damn Californians (kidding!).

And it's water fountain here. Bubbler? What the heck is that? :biggrin:

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Wisconsinite here...

The carbonated sweet stuff is soda and you drink water from the Bubbler. Ya der hey.

Not my Wisconsin.

In my northwoods, rural Wisconsin it's pop, drinking fountain, and sack.

I'm a native Seattleite and most of us from here call it "pop" although I've heard the transplants call it "soda" and "coke" (when they mean 7-up). I've even started calling it "soda" now. Damn Californians (kidding!).

:shock: Omigod, I thought it was all the natives in Seattle calling it soda. Being a non-native Seattleite (see post above) I call it pop! Nope, I won't switch, it's too ingrained.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm from the Hudson Valley where we always said soda. My brothers have lived in Ohio for years and now they say pop. Go figure. I think It's a mid west kinda thing. I live in the West and have a heck of a time finding seltzer. I can only find club soda (which tastes salty).

• 2 months later...

Here's what people that frequent egullet call sugary, carbonated beverages.

It will be interesting to compare the two (or amybe this is where they did their research :laugh: ).

Edited to say that this would be a much more interesting survey if the names for "other" were listed by catagory.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Soda or Coke are the only proper names ;) Pop is some upper midwestern flight of fancy....

Almost as bad as people calling Subs 'Hoagies' or 'Grinders'.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Soda or Coke are the only proper names ;) Pop is some upper midwestern flight of fancy....

Almost as bad as people calling Subs 'Hoagies' or 'Grinders'.

Or people that call poboys "subs". :raz::laugh:

What about people who call potato chips "crisps"?

(Python Francaise) Them's arr Eeeng-lish type-sa! (/Python Francaise)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Taking a look at the map linked to in the first post, I just have to ask what the heck "Other" would be? :blink: What other options are there besides "Soda", "Pop" & "Coke"?

Or does "Other" include variations like "Sodee", "PopPop" & the ever-geeky "Carbonated Beverages with High Frustose Corn Syrup and natural and artificial flavorings" which is used mostly on college campuses like M.I.T., etc. :raz:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Belly Wash

Sody Water

Cold Drink If you look at the parish in "other" in Louisiana I am sure that this is what the other is. It is a common term for soft drinks in that part of the state (Tensas Parish-One of the poorest and least populated areas of the South-They went for years without a doctor or a dentist-you had to go to Natchez, Vicksburg, or Monroe for medical care)

You have to wonder if this was some dude's PhD thesis. :laugh:

East Central University (Oklahoma) :laugh:

Well, I guess the universe is a better place now that this essential research has been completed.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hope it's not too late for a contribution but in Toronto Canada the generic (popular) term is pop. And frankly, when you lift the tab or twist the cap it does in fact go "pop" as opposed to say bubblah, or soda or even coke :wink: wouldn't you agree? Now from time to time one has to be a little fancy -shall we say- in that case it is soft drinks (with the slightest of pauses between the two words) - however juice fits into that too!

I especially would never refer to it as a 'coke' as once, many years ago, I was a approached in a bar by a man who wanted me to know he had "a really big coke" - He was foreign! :laugh:

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

Hope it's not too late for a contribution but in Toronto Canada the generic (popular) term is pop. And frankly, when you lift the tab or twist the cap it does in fact go "pop" as opposed to say bubblah, or soda or even coke :wink: wouldn't you agree?

Yeah? So does Champagne. :raz:

Michael aka "Pan"

When and where (far upstate New York in the 40's/50's) we always said "soda pop." But we often got it at a soda fountain, and sometimes at a Coke machine. The bottles, however, were always called "pop bottles".

To raise the ante, when we got our soda pop at a supermarket, it was always put in a grocery "sack", never a grocery "bag."

Did you get a:

1) A soda in a bag

2) A soda in a sack

3) A pop in a bag

4) A pop in a sack

And did you drink it sitting on the sofa or the couch? After dinner or after supper?