• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pop or Soda

hillvalley

Where do you live and what do you drink?

I live in Washington, DC and drink soda.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I was brought up hearing sody-water from older folks, or soda nowadays. SO is a Montana native, and he says pop, or just coke.His pops calls it soda pop. I still call it sodawater.

Oops, forgot to say I don't drink any of it as a rule.

Edited by Mabelline (log)

Invariably "pop" in Canada, AFAIK. "Soda" is the expensive Italian-style stuff they serve in coffee bars.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I live in the Deep South.

It's all Coke no matter what flavor you want-Dr. Pepper, Barq's, 7-Up, Sprite, Big Shot, etc.-It's all Coke.

Pop is a name for your Grandfather or a reaction caused by sticking a pin in a balloon. :laugh:

One kind of soda goes in bisquits and the other kind goes in Bourbon. :raz:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

No, No, No.

The conversation goes like this.

Let's say that two guys are riding in a car and one guy says to the other, "Hey Bubba, jawannacoke?"

The other guys says, " Yeah. Stop at that Jr. Mart and get me a one of them Barq's."

This is a recreation of an actual conversation. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is wholly intended and no rights have been reserved.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I went to college at University of Missouri, in Columbia which is roughly half-way between Kansas City and St. Louis. The guys in my fraternity house from St. Louis called it soda and the ones from Kansas City called it pop. We could always tell what part of the state someone was from by what they called it.

I'm a New England transplant in Illinois drinking soda, with my native SO who also prefers soda, while his parents and grandparents have pop.

However, at home when I was a kid, if soda had something extra added to it, preferably before a day of fishing, it became "(insert color here) lightning" as in orange lightning, purple lightning, white lightning.

I always liked that.

--adoxograph

I live in southeast michigan, people here drink pop.

But i drink soda.

In West Michigan, ditto for me.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

In west Kentucky, it's all Coke to us.

The lightning post was interesting. I've heard of that but never knew where it came from.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

There's a U.S. map showing which words are used in what parts of the country.

Bruce

Great map! Thanks, Bruce. Ms Alex immediately added it as a reference for students in her Business Communication classes. The only caveat is that for many counties the sample size is pretty small (n=1 :hmmm: ).

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer