• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edmonton Restaurant Recommendations

prasantrin

I've only been to Edmonton twice and neither time was I impressed with the restaurant scene. For example, during my first visit I was excited to find a Thai restaurant--the King and I, it was called. Too bad there was nothing remotely Thai about the food and even if I ignored the lack of Thai-ness, it was very bad food in general (and might I add, any Thai restaurant calling itself "The King and I" cannot possibly be a good Thai restaurant). During my second visit, well, it's just not worth discussing.

So now I appeal to Edmontonians (or anyone with knowledge of Edmonton's restaurants) to steer me to a place where I can have a lovely lunch for one. Unfortunately, I have a couple of constraints. I will only be in Edmonton for 5 hours and will be limited to public transportation (ie the bus). I will definitely be downtown (in the vicinity of the Japanese consulate) and if the weather is decent, I will be venturing out to Whyte Avenue. The restaurant would have to be in one of these two areas. The other constraint...it will be a Monday. I know some restaurants (in Winnipeg, at least) close on Mondays, so recommendations for places open on Monday would be great. And as I mentioned earlier, it would have to be open for lunch, since I'll be gone by dinner time.

I am not really interested in Chinese or Thai food, but perhaps something unique to Edmonton would be nice (is there anything unique to Edmonton?). I'd be up for French if there's a good French place, Italian not so much. Moroccan or Middle Eastern would be fabulous since we have neither of those in Winnipeg. I know Edmonton has a large Ukrainian population and while I like Ukrainian food, I prefer Polish, Serbian, or Croatian. Any Hungarian places in Edmonton? I love Hungarian food, too. I'd like to keep the check under $30, if possible (I don't really drink, but I love dessert!).

Any suggestions out there?

And is there a breakfast place downtown (again, near the Japanese consulate would be nice) where one might get a good diner-style breakfast? A place that has hash browns made from shredded or grated potatoes? (none of that cubed stuff for me!)

I should say that I did have a very good meal at a Japanese restaurant in Edmonton so I know there are some good Japanese places there!

Edited to add: I've been doing some reading and by "Whyte Ave" I think I mean the Old Strathcona area. Also, I hate pretentious restaurants and pretentious food. Posh is fine if it's honestly posh :rolleyes:

Edited by prasantrin (log)

When are you going to be in Edmonton?

I'm relatively new to the city myself, but between the food geeks at my work (a "posh" place on Whyte Ave, but outside the trendy Old Strathcona area) and the food geeks at my school, I can probably come up with a few choices for you.

Happy to exchange info here or in PM.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

When are you going to be in Edmonton?

I'll be there March 8th. I fly in around 8:30 and fly out around 5:30 so it's a very short trip!

I think it would be great if you could post to the board--just because there is pretty much nothing on Edmonton to be found here (I'm pretty bad about PM-ing, too, so I may never see them!). Even Chowhound had a few more recommendations, but they all included the King and I so I discounted them immediately. Seriously, that place had bad food!

Have you ever heard of Cafe Amandine? From what I've read, it sounds promising (desserts! Yum!) and although my knowledge of Edmonton's geography is nil, I think it might be around Whyte Ave (or was it downtown?). Of course, the reviewer who said it was good also gave the King and I 4 or 4.5 stars, so...

LOL...tell us what you really think about the King and I. :biggrin: Must confess I share your antipathy. There are better places in town to get thai but Eric Wah was the first I think to go the restaurant route.

If you are going to the Japanese Consulate then you will be right smack in the middle of what passes for our downtown.

I am not much of a breakfast eater but the only spot which springs to mind when you mentioned "diner style" would be the Silk Hat between 102 and 103 Streets on Jasper Avenue. It is an "Edmonton Institution" and just may be the oldest restaurant in the city. Formica table top, stools, juke box, all day breakfasts, etc.etc.

Although you mentioned that you were not particularly interested in Italian my favourite "lunchtime haunt" is Sorrentino's on 100 St, just "kitty-corner" from the Westin. The chef Sonny Song is one of the best in town and their menu although primarily Italian in nature covers mosts of the bases.

In the Scotia Building nearby is Boulevard. I thought it was one of the best spots in the city to dine when it first opened last year but I have heard disappointing things of late.

The Manulife/Commerce Court/Holt Renfrew complex houses Chance. It is a nice room but I have not been back to it in some time. Varied menu. Lots of "suits" from the law and accounting offices nearby.

If you do not mind a short walk [most of which you can do inside via the pedways and tunnels that link many of the buildings] try the Hardware Grill which is on Jasper Avenue just east of Canada Place. Pretty good lunch menu housed in the restored historic building which used to be the W.W. Arcade hardware store, hence the name. Emphasis on regional cuisine or at least regionally raised produce and meats.

A little closer to downtown on the edge of the river valley good food can be found in the Harvest Room of the Macdonald Hotel. It's maitre 'd Brian Welsh is one of the best in the city. New chef who came to Edmonton from Quebec City's Chateau Frontenac replacing Roary MacPherson who headed "home" to the Hotel Newfoundland in St. John's...our loss, the "rock's" gain. I think the new fella may have replaced the menu with his own by the time of your March visit. Friendly professional service and a beautiful room especially if the sun is out.

In Edmonton Centre you can find l'Azia and Four Rooms. The former is an asian influenced large restaurant serving all types of lunch food. Not particularly impressed. I think of it as "upper end food court dining". Four Rooms is usually busy. "Fusion-styled". Busy at lunch.

On Rice Howard Way just east of 101 St you can find Bistro Praha. Another long time Edmonton dining landmark. Originally opened by a now deceased Czech expat but is very European, Austrian in nature. Lots of schnitzel, goulash, trout, etc. Dark wood, classical music.

A little further afield is The Copper Pot which is situated in an office tower at the north end of the High Level Bridge, west of the Legislative grounds. [www.copperpot.ca] It has a beautiful view of the picturesque surroundings. Primarily seafood and it is open for lunch. It is not far from the Grandin Station of the LRT so within easy walking distance assisted by public transit.

In the area north of 104 Avenue is the Blue Iguana. Southwestern cuisine but again emphasizing regionally sourced products. Good wine list.

Normand's on Jasper Ave is similarly disposed. Known for its game dishes like venison and duck. Not one of my favourites but others swear by the spot.

If you head to 124th Street there is Cafe de Ville and The Manor amongst others. Not sure about their hours and whether they will be open for lunch on a Monday.

In the Old Strathcona/Whyte Avenue area I would have suggested Packrat Louie's but I am pretty sure they are closed for lunch on a Monday. Indeed, that is why we have ended up in the King and I on a couple of occasions when strolling along Whyte Avenue on a holiday Monday.

I have not eaten here myself but the Varscona Hotel on Whyte houses l'Attitude which replaced a Sorrentino's. The menu looks good and the reviews I have read were positive but I do not personally know anyone who in fact has eaten there.

There are a lot of Japanese restaurants in the downtown area. The Japanese Village, East Bound, Mikado, Shogun to name but a few. How authentic they actually are may be another question. Lots of places in town purport to be Japanese but may be a potentially confusing combination of all things asian mixing kim chee with pho with spring rolls with sukiyaki with chow mein with sashimi...you get the picture.....

You inquired about Hungarian food. I cannot think of a particular spot that offers that cuisine in the areas you'll be near. The Goulash Pot has been closed for years and I am not sure that it in fact was Hungarian or not. Like the Bistro Praha downtown there are spots like the Continental Treat and another with the owner's name which currently escapes me in the Old Strathcona area which offer central and eastern European inspired food.

That list should get you started. If you have more specific questions feel free to post and I'll do what I can to get additional details. Edmonton dining has "grown up" a lot over the years and there is a lot to choose from even on a Monday afternoon.

A $30 limit pretty much rules out Hardware Grill and the Harvest Room; probably l'Attitude/Chance/Boulevard as well. You might do it, but you'd be picking from half the menu or less, from what I can recall of their menus. :sad:

The other choices listed are pretty viable, I think...I'm sure between us we can get you geared up.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Must admit I missed the $30 limit factor when I first read the request.

However, Prasatrin has said that he/she is not really a drinker. In which case I think that you can squeeze under that limit even with dessert. You are right, it might be close.

I've been doing further research based on some of merlin's recommendations. I've so far discovered that Hardware Grill and I think Boulevard aren't open on Mondays, so those are definitely out (and Packrat Louie's, as was thought!). Copper Pot, while I love seafood, didn't seem all that interesting to me. Their dessert menu was particularly disappointing, and I love dessert (did I mention that already :biggrin: . An on-line menu for Chance doesn't seem to exist so I couldn't check it out more throroughly, but I found a menu for the Harvest Room and a brunch menu for L'Attitude. The Harvest Room is still within my price range, as almost all the main courses are <$20 so I could still have dessert, too! Their menu seemed interesting and there were a number of items I'd love to try (herb and feta crusted salmon? Yum!). L'attitude's brunch menu was a little cheaper than the Harvest Room, and a little less interesting, but still had a few things I'd be interested in trying. I'm sure their lunch menu would have even more choices. I liked Sorrentino's menu, as well, and I am very tempted to try it (wild salmon carpaccio...lamb chops...pan fried wild salmon...). Bistro Praha--I just love schnitzel (my mantra: Anything fried is good) and so it is also on my shortlist!

To recap, so far the Harvest Room, l'attitude, Bistro Praha, and Sorrentino's are on my list and I would love more suggestions! Hmm, looks like my shortlist isn't going to be so short!

I think Silk Hat is the only definite right now. I just love diner breakfasts. I might have to go there for lunch instead--burgers, onion rings, and milkshakes..oh my!

re: the King and I...I really shouldn't slam it as much as I do. My first and only visit there was in 1996 so for all I know it has improved greatly. However, I think the waitress summed up my feelings about the place pretty well. When I questioned her about the dish I had ordered (chicken with basil--what was served was not at all what I was expecting) she replied, "Well, you know, it's made for the Canadians" :blink::biggrin: .

Oh, I'm a she (my name is really Rona) :biggrin:, though Prasantrin is a Thai man's name (specifically my dad's).

Sorrentino's is a family-owned local mini-chain, and reputed to be very good at what they do. I haven't eaten there myself, but I know people who have and they don't really have much dirt to dish. Essentially, "what they do they do well."

I have a couple of classmates cooking at l'Attitude, right now. I'll sound them out about the decor, food, etc and see what sort of feedback they have for me.

Harvest Room is still mining the East Coast-meets-prairies dynamic introduced by former chef Roary MacPherson. Again, like Sorrentino's, I know people who have worked there and I can't recall hearing anything bad about it.

:raz: Back-of-the-house "dirt" is my most trusted guide...

:raz: Back-of-the-house "dirt" is my most trusted guide...

Ain't that the truth! That's how I found out that a prestigious restaurant in Winnipeg was using ready-made commercial salad dressings, soups, etc. And they wanted me to pay $10 for a Caesar salad made with Kraft dressing?!?!?!? That was 10 years ago, though, and I've heard thing have changed since the original chef returned from NYC (he left the restaurant for a few years in the 1990s).

It occurs to me that I've overlooked what should have been an obvious recommendation...my school's restaurant. Cleverly known as "The Dining Room at NAIT", this is a large and recently-renovated facility with very decent food and aggressive pricing, for what it is. There is a three-course lunch special for about $25, IIRC.

I won't be cooking there that week, but some of my classmates will be; and between us almost all of the city's leading restaurants are represented. The #9 bus will get you there from the downtown quite easily (about 15 minutes).

• 2 weeks later...

Chance is a good bet (over Bistro Praha, imo) and I have 2 excellent friends whose culinary talents I trust explicitly working days in the kitchen!

If you’re up for a 5 minute taxi ride The Manor Café on The High Street (125th street and Jasper Ave) is also an awesome choice! Converted old house with lovely décor and great service (both front and back of house!)

Minou ~ Kitchen Widow

I'm back from my short but sweet trip! Here's what I ate:

Breakfast: I went to Silk Hat, of course! It was very close to where my appointment was so it just seemed natural. I had the breakfast sandwich with homemade sausage patties. The sandwich, itself, was good but it did not really thrill me. I did like the hash browns even though they were not, in my opinion, really hash browns. They were more like cubed potatoes that were par-boiled and pan-fried with onions. I prefer shredded hash browns that are crisp. But Silk Hat's version, if one doesn't think of them as hash browns, are pretty tasty. The sausage patties could have used more seasoning and the bun was Wonderbread-ish. Despite that, I would probably eat there again. I liked the atmosphere (even though it smelled a bit like cigarette smoke).

Lunch: I had planned to go to the Dining Room at NAIT because I liked their menu and I have always wanted to eat at a culinary school's/program's dining room. However, I think the long drive to, from, and around Minneapolis during the weekend tuckered me out from wanting to travel anywhere. I didn't even want to leave the ManuLife building with its comfortable chairs! Luckily, the day before I left I found the website of Chance. I liked what I saw and had made note of it as an option. Imagine my surprise when I discovered, as I was getting lost in and around the ManuLife building, that Chance was right there! I had

Roasted Beef Tenderloin

Chévre and potato galette, daily vegetables, Bermuda onion and field mushroom confit, red wine demi glace

for my main course. It was wonderful! The tenderloin was cooked to a perfect medium and the red wine demi glace was oh so good. With my first bite of the galette, I was a bit disappointed. It seemed strangely sweet. However, by the second, third, etc. bites, I had fallen in love with it. The Bermuda onion and field mushroom confit, however, seemed to be less a confit and more of a button mushroom saute. And there were bermuda onions in that? Oh, I liked their bread. I used it to sop up some of the sauce. But the butter served with the bread was a tad too warm leaving a greasy taste. Cold butter may be difficult to spread, but butter that is too warm borders on disgusting.

For dessert I had

Pomegranate Cheesecake

White chocolate sauce, pomegranate coulis and durum sugar garnish

. I liked it. The cheesecake was slightly tart and though I don't like white chocolate, it matched the cheesecake perfectly. The pomegranate coulis was merely swirled into the white chocolate so there was very little chance to taste it. The durum sugar garnish was, I think, spaghetti dipped into sugar. I ate one, just to see if it was edible. It was, but it was odd. As a whole, though, I liked the dessert very much.

Contrary to my previous Edmonton dining experiences, I discovered there is good food to be had in Edmonton. From my meal at Chance, and comparing it with other meals I've had in Edmonton, I would guess that most of the good food can be found at the higher end restaurants (in Winnipeg, where high end restaurants are few in number, the good food is found at the cheap ethnic places). I'd have to spend more time there to test my hypothesis, so I think I may have to go back again soon :biggrin: . It's a good think I have a many other places still on my list! Thanks to y'all for your suggestions!

• 1 year later...

I'm attending a big wedding in Edmonton mid-August and the itinerary is positively life threatening: receptions, cocktail parties, brunches, etc. And, oh yes, the wedding itself, which is being held at the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald.

One of the pre-parties is being held at the restaurant Il Portico from 6 to 9 pm, but then we'll have the rest of that evening to ourselves. Any suggestions for a buzzy Saturday night place nearby with a good, light menu (we'll have eaten a fair bit first), good drinks and wine list? We'd prefer to stay within a 5-kilometre radius if possible.

Last, I'd love to know the W5 on the best liqour/wine store in the downtown area.

Many thanks,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Il Portico actually "fits the bill" for your after dinner meanderings but that will not work if you are already having dinner there. Patrick Saurette will be able to help you out with some suggestions. I think it was the Corsi brothers from Vancouver who originally opened it. Not sure if they have any current interest in it.

I cannot think of a Chambar, Parkside or Cru equivalent in Edmonton. Perhaps "Chromedome" can jump in with some suggestions.

However, the Suede Lounge on Jasper and 118th Street [il Portico is just south of Jasper on 107 Street], the Savoy on Whyte Ave. or Culina on the southside [likely full of diners at the hours you mentioned] might work.

Otherwise, weather permitting you probably will be back at the Mac's Confederation lounge or on the patio.

Next door the Marriott has a beautiful patio. However, not sure about the food nor the wine list as it has been quite some time since I have gone there.

The Sorrrentino's [a local chain of Italian spots] Group has opened a location up at Whitemud Crossing which has a lot of nibblies on their lounge menu. Big, patio. It may be a little out of your target area given its location.

Close by is Century Grill. Downtown is the newly renovated Lux [formerly Chance] which I commented on last week with its big, "New York City" style bar. Not sure about the appetizers and the like for things you might want to nibble on.

The best wine & liquor store in the downtown area? I think that that would be the 123rd Street Store. 123 rd Street and approximately 106 Avenue. It is housed in an old ALBC store. Good prices, vast selection.

Alternately, you have 4th and Vine in the Oliver Square area. It has a wine bar immediately adjacent to it which may be a good spot as the wine selection is decent and the menu I have read is expanding.

Then there is DeVine's just north of Jasper Ave. which is very good too.

Hope this assists.

Il Portico actually "fits the bill" for your after dinner meanderings . . .

Thank you very much indeed for this pervasive report Merlin--wonderful and much appreciated. There are a number of us going up for the wedding and it seems I'm in charge of herding the kittens.

Cheers to you,

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Il Portico actually "fits the bill" for your after dinner meanderings . . .

Thank you very much indeed for this pervasive report Merlin--wonderful and much appreciated. There are a number of us going up for the wedding and it seems I'm in charge of herding the kittens.

Cheers to you,

Jamie

In case you're interested, I posted my impressions of Il Portico last winter. I'll try and dig out the link later.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

I don't get out a whole lot, so I'll have to scope out my former classmates for some input. There are lots of places around the downtown that are passionate favourites for various people I know...just gonna have to sift through everybody's prejudices.

It'll help, of course, if you PM me with some guidance about what you like. :cool: Be advised that I haven't lived in Vancouver for the best part of two decades, so references to places there will leave me none the wiser.

If you find yourself a few quiet moments in and about all the mayhem, of course, you're more than welcome to look me up and say hello. I haven't met any eGulletters in person yet.

It'll help, of course, if you PM me with some guidance about what you like.  :cool:  Be advised that I haven't lived in Vancouver for the best part of two decades, so references to places there will leave me none the wiser.

If you find yourself a few quiet moments in and about all the mayhem, of course, you're more than welcome to look me up and say hello.  I  haven't met any eGulletters in person yet.

Thanks CD. The task at hand is not a completely unpleasant one--providing guidance and spiritual counselling for a dozen or so recently retired Scandinavian lingerie models (ditto the bride), whose English is not perfect. So I'm looking for a place with cold spirits (for the spiritual counselling bit), a vacuously transparent crowd and people who won't gawk at me.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I'm sure you will be able to console yourself with some hot snapper at any Earls if my last experience was anything to go by.

Some truths remain universal.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

There is also an excellent wine store on 104th street just north of jasper avenue. There is a nice market for produce on Saturdays in the same area on Saturdays before 3pm, but I don't imagine you'll have the time or interest this trip.

There is a gorgeous med/indian inspired room perfect for drinks and tapas of which I don't recall the name on 82nd avenue and 104th street detached from the greek restaurant Yianni's in the same spot. Just continue past the hostess stand at Yianni's and down the stairs. They are open until 12am on weekends.

Time spent eating is time spent with the gods

There is also an excellent wine store on 104th street just north of jasper avenue.  There is a nice market for produce on Saturdays in the same area on Saturdays before 3pm, but I don't imagine you'll have the time or interest this trip.

There is a gorgeous med/indian inspired room perfect for drinks and tapas of which I don't recall the name on 82nd avenue and 104th street detached from the greek restaurant Yianni's in the same spot.  Just continue past the hostess stand at Yianni's and down the stairs.  They are open until 12am on weekends.

Thank you.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

A couple of my Edmonton favourites are Bistro Praha and Marchyshyn's Home Meat Market.

Bistro Praha is tucked away on a small street downtown, near Eaton Centre or whatever it's called these days. It's only a brief walk from the Fairmont (5 min maybe? I always end up at the Westin, which is a touch closer.) It's open until 2am or so, and offers wonderful eastern European food and a good beer list. If you're hungry around midnight, go here for a snack - my favourite is the picked herring and sour cream on apple slices.

Marchyshyn's, about a 15min walk from the Fairmont (straight up 101st, I think, behind the CN building) is the purveyor of the finest Ukranian susage in the land, in this half-Bohunk/half-Frog's opnion. Buy a couple of rings and bring them home. Just don't pack them in your carryon. Unless of course, you want to smell like a pig that wandered into a garlic patch. You might get the whole row to yourself on the flight home.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Dining in Edmonton is a bit like stumbling around a catholic schoolgirl dorm - lots of boring, hardworking, plaid clad folk, but the odd mindblowing experience to be had if you knock on the right door.

Hardware Grill and Jack's Grill are two of the best restaurants in Canada with good, honest, rich prairie cuisine. Both owned by the chefs. Peter Jackson puts together a culinary experience second to none in a south-side strip mall. All French technique with decent portion sizes. The pork chop makes for good local eatin'.

Larry Stewart at the Hardware Grill puts together BIG PORTIONS of things like amazing house-made sausages and has great game. Go for the mashed potatoes alone. If you're there for lunch, the lamb burger is made with mint aioli, brie, and served open-faced medium rare. Six times the bad-for-you stuff of any Vancouver restaurant experience, but AT LEAST eighteen times the flavour... 600+ bottle wine list with some steals. Try to be served by the Rooster - the best waiter that ever lived. Frenchy at Fortes' is simply one of his many proteges...

Characters is excellent as well (just up the street from Il Portico). As mentioned above, Chance is now closed and reopened as a steakhouse-ish Lux. Don't know much about it, but Edmonton's palate seems slightly more refined than simply meat n' potatoes.

Downmarket dining is good on Whyte Ave and environs. The Savoy Bar on Whyte & 104 makes excellent small plates and boasts a pretty good Belgian and others beer list. Abel, the co-owner, also has the best coffee shop in Western Canada, the Sugar Bowl - like a caffe artigiano that's been beaten up a by a roughneck philosopher. Its' cinnamon buns match its smoke-stained walls in hearty goodness.

Zenari's in Manulife place is where the owners of LilyKate should park a tent trailer for a couple of months to take notes on how dishevelled, design-averse, former-physicist Adriano Zenari has been selling amazing flatware, muffalettas, oranges and radicchio for 20+years.

Edmonton is the barony of booze. But for every cool cave there's a dozen liquor barns, -depots, -worlds, -stops, and -lands floggin Diageo hooch and hypnotiq ad nauseum. Rob at Cristall's wine market (63rd and 111th) will help you find great things. Grapes and Grains on 170th is fantastic, along with 123rd street liquor store (on 123rd street (no-one said edmontonians didn't have a penchance for eponymity)). The best place for scotch in the city is at Barry T's Liquor store, tucked in beside the standard night club on Calgary Trail south at about 62nd) 100+ labels at great prices. Finally, the Real Canadian Liquorstore at the Real Canadian Superstore has jaw droppingly good deals if you can take a couple of shopping cart abrasions on that new X5...

Finally, if you like the blues, the Saturday afternoon jam at the Commercial hotel on Whyte is what puts the glint in the Edmonton eye. Forget the revelry of Friday night. The smoky blues of the afternoon after after steak and eggs shoulder-to-shoulder with swillin' Fort Mac Newfies and essay-avoidin' collegians and farmhand fugitives is what starts off the night the way no False Creek sunset ever could.

Go Oil!

Q.

Quentin Kayne

Finally, if you like the blues, the Saturday afternoon jam at the Commercial hotel on Whyte is what puts the glint in the Edmonton eye. Forget the revelry of Friday night. The smoky blues of the afternoon after after steak and eggs shoulder-to-shoulder with swillin' Fort Mac Newfies and essay-avoidin' collegians and farmhand fugitives is what starts off the night the way no False Creek sunset ever could.

But the only good blues to be found in Vancouver is not on False Creek, but at the Yale or the Fairview ... still, admittedly within eyeshot of a sunset, or sunrise as the case may be.

Great post Q!

A.