• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hangovers and avoiding them

Nick

Overall, somewhat confusing to read but this helpful hint stood out -

"If you have time, you should consider having sex. According to latest studies, in half of male species of the planet hangovers are usually associated with magnificent erections. In addition, sex elevates one"s spirit and clears one"s head."

:biggrin:

Link.

I don't get hangovers. I don't know why. Doesn't matter how much I imbibe, no hangover for me the next morning. But I like the connection between alcohol and sex. I've had enough to drink tonight to try and convince my SO that sex is the only way to save my soul from hangover redemption. It never hurts to try.......

Dangedest thing, but since I laid off the NightTrain I haven't had a good'n'proper hangover. Probably has something to do with my rarely having to wake up for work without still being drunk. Forget the Chaser, just set your alarm! You can always take a nap later if you're not scheduled that day.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

I don't get hangovers. I don't know why. Doesn't matter how much I imbibe, no hangover for me the next morning.

How old are you? Youth might have something to do with that...

I never used to have hangovers when I was in my 20's. I was incredibly resilent! Best hangover cure: exercise. yep, no matter how badly you don't want to do it, it works.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I don't get hangovers.  I don't know why.  Doesn't matter how much I imbibe, no hangover for me the next morning.

How old are you? Youth might have something to do with that...

I never used to have hangovers when I was in my 20's. I was incredibly resilent! Best hangover cure: exercise. yep, no matter how badly you don't want to do it, it works.

I've heard about the sex cure for hangovers before. Might work.

But, believe me, the best hangover cure is drinking water along with your alcohol, and maybe an extra glass before bed, or before sex, whichever seems to happen for you.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I've heard about the sex cure for hangovers before. Might work.

But, believe me, the best hangover cure is drinking water along with your alcohol, and maybe an extra glass before bed, or before sex, whichever seesm to happen for you.

and which seems to happen for you Rich? :raz:

mmmmm well I've tried the sex cure, and while it helps, it doesn't completely get rid of it.

I once had a riding lesson with a notoriously difficult trainer the morning after a particularly drunken evening. ooo I felt like shit, and I was worried. I knew he was gonna work my ass off. After that lesson I felt like a million bucks. what was interesting was that I actually seemed to ride better with a hangover. course, I always used to ride better after drinking one beer too...

I haven't tried the water thing but it makes sense.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Oh, the water happens for me.......

And I must say this: after 8 years of hosting an annual series of beer tours in Philadelphia, I can tell you unequivocally that most of the attendees report no hangovers after consuming over 144 oz. of beer, along with plenty of water during the tours.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 2 weeks later...

I know it sounds crazy, but I use RU-21, the hangover cure created by the russians. I usually get hangovers very easily, which is a drag. I decided after reading about RU-21 in the NY post to give it a shot at my bachelor party in October. All I can say is that it worked like a charm. I would have been absolutely dead the next day without it, but I felt pretty good. The strange thing is, I felt like I should have a headache, but there was no pain. Also, I was pretty tired, but I attribute that to not sleeping soundly.

I have used it since then and swear by it. Of course, you have to drink water along with alcohol to help keep hydrated. Strange, its the first "scam-ish" product I have used that actually does what it says...

Anthony

edited to change "nest" to "next"

Edited by adegiulio (log)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

mmmmm well I've tried the sex cure, and while it helps, it doesn't completely get rid of it.

I once had a riding lesson with a notoriously difficult trainer .....

How much do these trainers charge?

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

I've thought about trying the RU-21, but haven't really found it in stores. The similar products that they do sell haven't worked for friends. Exercise as cure for hangover? It seems plausible, but how do you get up and go exercise? Obviously sex is the far easier option...The idea that water helps prevent hangovers is familiar, in China there is belief that tea (especially a green tea) helps to prevent the aftereffects of a night out imbibing...

I once had a riding lesson with a notoriously difficult trainer .....

How much do these trainers charge?

Depends on whether you are hung over or not. :wink:

Born Free, Now Expensive

My chemistry prof proved to us scientifically that the best cure was to wake up and have another drink, preferrably vodka. It balances the stuff out. I haven't tried it yet and don't plan on it, the thought just makes me nautious.

So for me just: Water, water, water, extra strength tylenol, water, exercise, water

My chemistry prof proved to us scientifically that the best cure was to wake up and have another drink, preferrably vodka. It balances the stuff out. I haven't tried it yet and don't plan on it, the thought just makes me nautious.

this is why god invented Zima.

yeah the only time i can drink that "malt beverage" crap like smirnoff ice is like in the morning, hopefully it has vitamin c. coors light is another morning beer. actually, any beer is good in the morning, come to think of it.

"yes i'm all lit up again"

this is why god invented Zima.

Finishing that last half-bottle of warm white wine that you find while doing the dishes the next morning can be helpful. Works better on weekends, though.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Tee hee. I'm in my thirties. I do hope that my good luck continues throughout my life, I'd prolly never drink if I had to pay the piper in the morning. I have a low tolerance for alcohol, maybe that has something to do with it? Now where's that port...... :hmmm:

I had to think about this a bit. I rarely get hungover myself unless I deviate from the my normal list of trouble-free combinations.

But I usually drink plenty of water -- unless it is one of those 14 hour days with 80 percent humidity, 90 some degrees and I'm working a double, in season, on a rocking Saturday. Two-three after work drinks, upon dehydration and much physical exhaustion often proved deadly. (Factor in the empty stomach too).

It is on the following mornings (read: afternoons) the Skyy Blue with plenty o'ice were the exact fix, that of course after a good Gatorade. Sometimes it was Mike's Not so hard Cranberry Lemonade, poolside, again with much ice. Admittedly, by the time I drank the stuff, it would be very watered down.

Oh, the water happens for me.......

And I must say this: after 8 years of hosting an annual series of beer tours in Philadelphia, I can tell you unequivocally that most of the attendees report no hangovers after consuming over 144 oz. of beer, along with plenty of water during the tours.

Yeah.... but I think we're talking about REAL drinking. 144 ounces is only nine pints. Spread out across a six to eight hour tour that should be quite tolerable for all but the very slight of stature or low of tolerance. It's been years since I've had a drink or a beer but on the rare occasions when I could remember to match every beer or drink with a 12 - 16 oz glass of water, followed by another tall water or two with two aspirin when I got home... hangovers rarely occurred or were very mild in nature.

Hangovers, lots of water while you are drinking, use the excuse that you are cleasing, so you can enjoy better. Sex is great also, but usually is awfully time consuming, with the undressing and all. Lack of sleep before having to get up with the booze still high in your system, and great sex is the worse! The BEST cure, drink 4-6oz. of the juice from a pickle jar, the stronger the better. It works, and you can have all of the above.

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA