• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Chicken

Jinmyo

Photos from Dunbars. Very impressive. That may be a first. Next time your down check their specials lineup and shoot for crawfish bisque. I think they are the last remaining bastion of stuffing the heads. Not to be missed. ch

That sure made me glad I bought my chicken and capons I've been waiting on today. Fabulous pictures, Jason! I'm soaking the chicken in buttermilk and crystal hot sauce tonight. Hot dawg :biggrin:

If you can find it, try soaking your bird pieces in Crystal Wing Sauce. It is a kind of thinned out version of the Hot Sauce and I have become fairly addicted to it. It is good as a condiment on any kind of meat and particularly good as mixed in egg wash for a wet/dry batter situation (like chicken, shrimp, etc.)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

This is making me hungry for cooking fried chicken, and gave me some good ideas to try. These days we use peanut oil. Soaking in buttermilk and a little hot sauce before breading appeals to me.

Edited to add this P.S.: My favorite thing to do with homemade pan fried chicken is take it on a picnic. Mmm... it's in the 80's today!

Edited by Susan in FL (log)

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Anybody wanta here my story about Secret Lake in Teton National Park, pan fried chicken, cheese grits, pickled green beans, and a very large, very hungry bear? It's an ugly tale of fried chicken and mountain climbing (google on that and I bet you don't get many hits :hmmm: ) gone horribly wrong (although the bear probably had a different opinion :wink::laugh: )

Please proceed, Brooks. Do we need to change your nickname to Bear Bait? :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I just remembered that we discussed this one at length on this thread.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Anybody wanta here my story about Secret Lake in Teton National Park, pan fried chicken, cheese grits, pickled green beans, and a very large, very hungry bear? It's an ugly tale of fried chicken and mountain climbing (google on that and I bet you don't get many hits :hmmm: ) gone horribly wrong (although the bear probably had a different opinion :wink::laugh: )

I love a good bear story! Maybe we can do a thread on expedition food gone bad? Or...just expedition food.

Back to chicken: I'm trying to track down the Crystal Sauce! Thanks.

Back to chicken: I'm trying to track down the Crystal Sauce! Thanks.

You can order it direct from their web site, http://www.baumerfoods.com

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hathor, I did make my chicken the other day, and boy we scarfed! We even ended up with an impromptu picnic, because we had to go out and help our herdsman with some babies. I didn't get to get outside, so I sat in the pickup eating chicken and potato salad...life is tough like that sometimes...Once you try the chicken that way, I think you will like it. I use Crisco, if that makes any difference to you, with some bacon grease added for flavor.

Mabelline: you had to help some herdsmen? doing what? It's sounds so exotic, sitting in my office. Crisco seems to be a the 'frying juice' to go with. Well, I've got the Crystal sauce on the way, and I'm sure I can find some Crisco...by Friday...I should have this nailed!

We had five mama cows decide that they were tired of being pregnant. Since it was the full moon, we were kind of prepared. They just needed to be tended to, and separated from the others. We got one set of twins, too. But it was a real windy 28 degrees, and so I couldn't get out in the excitement.

Oh, yeah, I forgot, too; I try to always soak the chicken pieces at least overnight. If not,you can start early in the morning for supper that evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, Hathor,good luck with your chicken... I've only been able to lurk lately, for we are indeed busy. As you represent the Goddess of Cows, I feel that is very auspicious for me. You might want to try 1/2 in a brine, 1/2 in the aforsaid buttermilk/hot sauce, then bread them the same, and fry like everyone agrees. The main thing to remember, I think, would be how hot and even your heat is, as well as how long your pieces cook. Don't give in to your urge to poke, though; that'll break your seal and let the cooking fat in. Success!! to you!!!

Don't give in to your urge to poke, though; that'll break your seal and let the cooking fat in. Success!! to you!!!

mmm....how did you know I was a poker??? I'll have to acquire the ingredients and give it a whirl this weekend. My mother would just die laughing if she knew I was buying Crisco!

Are your cows for milk or slaughter? I grew up around dairy cows, but that was a long time ago!

Ah, everyone has that urge to poke, I believe. Those of us who've overcome it,often from sad mistake, know we need to save someone else from themself :biggrin: !

The cattle I have are Angus Beef Cattle, and although they are a slaughter breed, they are being groomed toward a higher calling, you could say. They are meant to become a foundation herd for an agricultural venture for a native American tribe. So, basically, only the culls will have to take the long walk. I am also looking into a crossbreeding program with a couple of bulls from another breed called Belgian Blue.

Voila!

Pan Fried Chicken: soaked in buttermilk and Crystal wing sauce. It was a hit at last night's Soprano Sunday Supper.

Thanks for the input!

Edited: took out the URL as I just can seem to get the picture to post properly. :hmmm:

Edited by hathor (log)

Actually, I think that cold fried chicken is one of the finer things that comes out of the fridge late at night. It never lasts very long around my house.

Actually, I think that cold fried chicken is one of the finer things that comes out of the fridge late at night. It never lasts very long around my house.

I've become completely addicted to Crystal Wing Sauce..thanks to you! :biggrin: My husband is getting a bit worried..... :raz:

• 11 months later...

I marinate the chicken (refrigerated) in vingear, juice of one lemon and garlic for as long as 2-3 hours. At this point I could roast the chicken if I chose, but if I'm frying it I use instant flour (Wondra) and season it with salt, a lot of pepper and some garlic powder. I dredge the chicken in flour only (no egg). In a cast iron skillet I pan fry in peanut oil, or Crisco, with a bit of butter added to the oil. Initially the oil is very hot. I test it by flicking flour into it to see how it responds. If it turns brown immediately, it's too hot. Once it begins to get a crust, I turn down the flame and let it cook through.

I would like to try this poaching method. Very interesting....

Emma Peel