• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony's, Leeds

MOst impressive moment was Olga remembering what we'd had last time in--given it was about three months ago, that wasn't bad going. Oh, and going all star struck and getting the four team members to sign a brochure for Mrs. W to commemorate her birthday.

it's all about the details isn't it? bet you didn't go thirsty either :wink:

2 out of the 3 serving staff are ex-el bulli, A 3 star michelin - and it shows.

denis at no3 has experience at various 1-2 stars in europe and again you can tell.

cheers

gary

It's for reasons such as this that I think that Suzi must have been at at different restaurant from the comments that she posted.

Nope, different people have different expectations and hence have different experiences. Not everyone likes the music I like, not everyone likes the restaurants I like. Simple as that.

I will get round to posting about my experience, it's just that my mother is really ill at the moment so I'm trying to minimise the hassle in my life.

And sometimes some things are just more important than dealing with the crap you get for disagreeing with what other people think.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

It's for reasons such as this that I think that Suzi must have been at at different restaurant from the comments that she posted.

Nope, different people have different expectations and hence have different experiences.

And there I was thinking that Tarka had gone to the notoriously bad "Anthony's Fish Dining Restaurant" round the back of the brewery by mistake.

If I've learnt anything in the last three and a half years of being involved in eGullet, its never get into an eating contest with Jason Perlow. The other, perhaps more pertinent lesson, is that there is no such thing as an objective opinion about a restaurant. But that's just my opinion.

And congratulations to all the team for T'Observer award. Course it was obvious yesterday when T'Grauniad had a tiny image of the cover of OFM on it, and there was Mr Flinn, jr. Makes up for the Michelin and then some.

And, yes, I voted for it. Bit confused how it could win best restaurant but not best newcomer, but I guess it's not like the Oscars , and things get handed around?

Edited by BertieWooster (log)

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

And congratulations to all the team for T'Observer award. Course it was obvious yesterday when T'Grauniad had a tiny image of the cover of OFM on it, and there was Mr Flinn, jr. Makes up for the Michelin and then some.

And, yes, I voted for it. Bit confused how it could win best restaurant but not best newcomer, but I guess it's not like the Oscars , and things get handed around?

Readers vote for best restaurant; panel of judges choose best newcomer.

For what it's worth my shortlist for best newcomer was

1. Leon

2. Anthony's

...simply because Leon really does break the mold. Anyway I'm v pleased with the result all round.

Jay

and so are anthony's :biggrin:

result look a little more shall we say, 'coherent' than last years veggie restaurant /nigel slater love in.

i'm sure you'll all want to rush out and buy it to read jay's excellent pieces on anthony's (and the ginger pig.) but it's online too....

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly...1409764,00.html

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

And they weren't celebrating too hard last night---e-mailed congrats and got a reply. Not sure I'd be capable of doing the same if I won something like that.

Trust me, They party-ed good and hard at the awards party in London on Thursday night.

The interview they showed on GreatFood Live yesterday must have been before he partyed. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure you were all worried but i can assure you that the white onion risotto and suckling pig at anthonys is still on form :biggrin:

Friend had squab and foie to start. then turbot with oxtail, the oxtail was stuffed into squid tubes and looked very good.

cheeses then pineapple and black olive tatin to follow.

and a great shock, no chorey-les-beaune this time, a 99 1er cru santenay les gravieres very good indeed. Might have to change my allegiance.

I note their stocks of c les beaune 1/2's have not yet recovered from our last trip, it's still out of stock :wacko:

cheers

gary

ps now just got to make room for the thai birthday meal i'm booked in for sarah's birthday

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

i saw the supplement in the telegraph which precised the top25 i think, however does the UK really need another guide with exactly the same restaurants in it just in a different rank?

I would say not with the internet and food boards we can get much more accurate, and reliable (once you know who to trust :wink: ) updates that are far more valuable than a once a year guide.

despite its flaws the only guide book i would buy is michelin, and the french one at that :laugh:

by the way unless i'm mistaken i'm pretty sure it was parmesan air not soya bean air i had yesterday :wink:

cheers

gary

i saw the supplement in the telegraph which precised the top25 i think, however does the UK really need another guide with exactly the same restaurants in it just in a different rank?

I would say not with the internet and food boards we can get much more accurate, and reliable (once you know who to trust  :wink: ) updates that are far more valuable than a once a year guide.

despite its flaws the only guide book i would buy is michelin, and the french one at that  :laugh:

by the way unless i'm mistaken i'm pretty sure it was parmesan air not soya bean air i had yesterday  :wink:

cheers

gary

There's always room for another guide if it's good. I like Ronay's concept and choices. It also represents the regions well. He clearly has his ear to the ground, without being slavishly trendy. He rewards what he likes, not just conspicuous success, so it's obviously subjective, but I'd value Ronay's credentials for subjectivity over most other guides' and critics' attempts at objectivity any day.

Like you say, it's about finding someone whose taste you trust. I know that Ronay is a notoriously demanding taskmaster of restaurateurs, and not at all one of these industry schmoozers, but he's very respected by his peers as a true gourmet whose many years of experience have honed his ability to separate quality from the bullshit that sometimes seems to characterize UK dining. This ability is reflected in his spot-on choices.

Edited by Dirk Wheelan (log)

• 1 month later...

They mentioned their intention to produce a tasting menu when I was there in march - any sign/news of this yet?

I see the website still has the previous a la carte... these people are always too busy cooking...

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

They mentioned their intention to produce a tasting menu when I was there in march - any sign/news of this yet?

I see the website still has the previous a la carte... these people are always too busy cooking...

Adt- welcome.

Gary/ Scottand Sam can you fill you in on this as they tried, what I think, are the new dishes that make up tasting menu. What I have seen thus far looked fantatsic- although the portion size looked very generous. Stand out dishes were a mullet dish with crisped chicken skin / langoustine and enoki mushrooms ( is that right guys?) and a stuffed Duck's neck looked wonderful too. He says hinting not very subtly to Mr Flinn re the 16th of April. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Bapi.

I had what I assume is the mullet dish you mention, as it was on the a la carte in march. The crisped chicken skin - langoustine - almond creme caramel combination was sublime. The remainder of the dish was quite redundant I though; the mullet was a little dry and the skin not as delicately crisped as I'd have liked, and the enoki added nothing for me. Take them out and it would make a wonderful tasting menu course.

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

will the jacketless potato feature again on the menu? I never got to try (despite my best efforts to keep going back) ... and feel as though I have missed out!!

Did note that they had the homage to the pina colada amuse when I was there a few weeks ago ...

Yin