• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony's, Leeds

No, there was no chutney. It would have made a good addition. We had celery, grape and whole red pepper corns in a sort of salsa. It didn't really do a lot for me I have to be honest. The more I think about it the more I am convinced that the bread was totally wrong.

Have you been to the Box Tree yet?

R

you don't win friends with salad

• 2 weeks later...

First the news...

straight into the good food guide with 7/10 :biggrin:

yorkshire life restaurant of the year ( Last years winner No 3, so they have good taste) :biggrin:

regional winner in the restaurant remy's with the final still to come :biggrin:

michelin is going to look very out of touch if they don't recognise them too....

and today's lunch.....

apparently m roux from le gavroche is in restaurant mag boasting he's the only in london with snipe.

Pah! London? schm-ondon

Tony's got it, utilised as a starter with the pickled garlic ravioli, which if you haven't had, you need to.

Today i had a Japanese tea and (?) foam (that momentarily escapes me) as a palette cleanser.

a pear and yeast-y little amuse in a dinky bowl

a taste of the homemade black pudding, salmon cheeks and mango starter.

(outstanding black pud, they should start serving breakfast, they have the best sliced bread in leeds, with tony's love of pork i'm sure he could home cure some bacon and rustle up a few sausages too!).

bread was loaf with parmesan.

starter was red mullet, a crispy pan fried rectangle thereof, with langoustines wrapped arond duck fat confit'd potatoes in a bowl with a 'milk' made of tiger beans (apparently a spanish beverage), was very delicate and v good.

main course was grouse, i was torn between a new dish of roasted and carpaccio vension with foie but went for the seasonal grouse option, since that's what i had on my mind when i went in. The grouse was served with sweetcorn quenelles together with kikos quenelles with sliced figs on top. the grouse was roasted but still rare and there was a super gamey reduction that was the dogs accompanying it.

if you haven't been yet, why not? leeds is hardly the end of the universe.

gary

tiger beans / tiger milk - delciously addictive.  I've been trying to find a source in london.  if anyone knows, please tell

that would be horchata, no? random googling got me this so that may help. Otherwise spanish suppliers as per those listed in the back of e.g. the Moro cookbook might work.

Probably best just to go to Anthony's instead ... which clearly I need to do ASAP!

Think I read today that Time Out have given them a rave review in their new UK guide ..

cheers

Yin

i dont want to scroll trough all the 180 posts but did the chef from anthony's reply on this topic? i like how chef achantz from trio/alinea shares his visions and ideas with our big community. somebody might call anthony's !

i dont want to scroll trough all the 180 posts but did the chef from anthony's reply on this topic? i like how chef achantz from trio/alinea shares his visions and ideas with our big community. somebody might call anthony's !

think he's busy enough just keeping up with bookings at the moment, but they are aware of this thread and egullet.

cheers

gary

• 3 weeks later...

Another hard day in the interests of research at Anthony's on saturday, arriving at 1pm and leaving about 9pm is about right for lunch methinks!

i will post the full menu when i get a copy but suffice to say it was a great lunch, in order to show the progress that he'd made to myself and a few other regulars we enjoyed essentially the newer dishes of the a la carte in small portions.

the jacketless potatoes made a welcome one off special appearance and i think collectively the favourite dishes were the fillet of vension with carpaccio and a fantastic fig desert. I will be back again soon to sample these again!

without piccies or menu i can't do the meal justice, so will do so later.

the menu has now evolved from day one, the only original dishes are the onion risotto and the pork belly cannelloni, everything else has changed, the new third chef appears to have helped take pressure off in the kitchen and allow Tony to concentrate on new dishes again.

they are up for a few awards at the moment, and the principal competition appears to be from the black pig, who are close friends so i suspect as long as one of them wins they won't be too concerned!

oh, and if you doubt how committed this operation is, how many other restaurants of this standard are open on christmas day offering an extravaganza of specials and never to be repeated dishes?!

they are also open new years eve too before taking a well earned break in early Jan.

cheers

gary

The menu has just arrived through the interweb so here goes....

We arrived at Anthony's at 1pm and rather than waiting in the bar went straight to our table and got stuck in!

we weren't sure what to expect, on a previous visit olga had mentioned a few dishes that we would be trying and tony snr cryptically just said 'they'll look after you' and indeed they did.....

First up the 'cocktail' amuse....

Passion Fruit, Tabbacco, Coffee, Bourbon: This presented in a shot glass, smelt strongly of passion fruit but tasted of tobacco and leather, nb in a good way! certainly a conversation piece!

Jacketless Potato: if there's a dish i expect to see on my travels in other restaurants it is this, always slightly different each time but still essentially a light crisp coating holding in perfect vanilla mash. It tends to go all over your chin, but hey, who cares? this dish is the daddy of the amuse world.

Yeast and Pine Veloute: I had this before and it's and unusual dish, it polarised opinion, to me it's a dish about texture and it has a strange mouth feel, didn't do much for me and others actively disliked it, which is unusual.

Red Mullet , Langoustines, Horchata: back on song here though, a little piece of mullet, the langoustines and the horchata 'soup' poured on top as discussed previously, with two mini potato fondants ie 1 cm cylinder mini! a lovely dish.

Home Made Black Pudding, Roasted Salmon Cheeks, Mango: Who hoo! yet more vanilla mash and, considering these were tasting portions a generous chunk of black pud on top, home made with pork belly, apple juice and a few other tweaks then roasted. The salmon cheeks are more unctous than salmon fillet and presented on a little skewer with shredded mango. What reads like a car crash of flavours certainly doesn't taste like it!

Snipe, Foie Gras, Artichoke Caramel: A bit of game as 'tis the season, Tony is very keen on being as seasonal as possible, something i don't think you'd naturally expect from a cutting edge restaurant like this, tony snr was very keen to get this point across when discussing the menu with diners, and rightly so. the snipe was very rare and tender and there was quite a bit of foie around too, the artichoke caramel providing a good textural crunch to the smoothness of the foie and snipe.

Monkfish, Baby Octopus, Enoki Salad: this was confited monfish with 'tentacles' ok baby octupus, and enoki salad the raw mushrooms with a fantastically piquant shallot-y dressing

Roasted Venison, Carpaccio Venison, Fresh Dates: i think collectively we viewed this the high point. The roast vension a cylinder of fillet seared on the outside then pink in the middle, rested properly as not a drop of excess blood, the carpaccio a translucent 'sheet' on the plate with a strip of foie next to it from memory, i need my pictures! but this is on the ALC and i recommend highly you try it.

we slotted in a cheese course too, a couple of selctions to share the usual suspects were there stinking bishop, mrs bells, ingleston and cotherstone from memory, with the pickled celery/chilli/pumpkin seed accompaniment, oh and the mini loaves are now even mini-er specifically for the cheese, very dinky.

Strawberry Grapes Sorbet: another new on, a grape that tastes like a strawberry, interesting!

Apple and Mascarpone Mousse, Toffee Apple :now i remember the toffee apple, a minature apple covered in caramel and inividually wrapped and on a stick! there were a few other treats on the plate, one of which was fantastic but , errr i thought it was the fig dish off the alc but it appears not!

we retired to the bar for coffee and chocs and also a little glass of tiger milk (?)with 'gingerbread men' -well it is local produce, there's a greggs bakers next door! they liquidise them with the milk, to make a gingery light drink.

service as usual was precise and friendly from olga, although we didn't drink as much as usual so she was relieved from constant wine refills!

then followed our 'usual' post meal discussion with tony snr over an assortment of calva's, ports before the cleaning them out of the eminently drinkable raspberry beers.

My friends had to head back down south on the 18.40 train to kx, but seeing as mrs marshall was away i hung around to see how the place was on an evening with periodic top-ups of raspberry beer :biggrin: . Virtually all the diners were repeat, the tony snr menu run-down now appears to be a highlight of the experience, the whole operation seems very slick and organised and Holly runs the bar with aplomb way beyond her years.

Considering the special menus, extra cheese, bottle of champagne, bottle riesling, 2 chorey les beaune, digestifs all round (more than once i think), 9 raspberry beers (!), water and 10% service, £101 a head was money very well spent.

i think i might go back again :biggrin:

Home Made Black Pudding, Roasted Salmon Cheeks, Mango: Who hoo! yet more vanilla mash and, considering these were tasting portions a generous chunk of black pud on top, home made with pork belly, apple juice and a few other tweaks then roasted. The salmon cheeks are more unctous than salmon fillet and presented on a little skewer with shredded mango. What reads like a car crash of flavours certainly doesn't taste like it!

I love that bit- mate. Didn't I liken your murmmerings at Hibiscus in March to a Homer Simpson ? :raz:

Sounds like a fabulous meal and amazing value. Highly envious of you all. I must get this sorted with you soon. What's Horchata though?

'somehow' i ended up back at anthony's yesterday.

my friend suddenly decided he 'needed' to go and despite trying to persuade him to wait until friday he was adamant that he had to go.

i was more than happy to have the venison again and the pumpkin ravioli (with parkin too) mini toffee apples and spice marscapone.

another happy looking punter was Terry Durrack so expect a review from him soon.

waiting time is now 8 weeks for saturday, 4 for fridays!

cheers

gary

• 2 weeks later...

Also in the Telegraph at this URL which needs (?) a login

Thats not bad Guardian, Independent and Telegraph all together. Of course all three have done favourable reviews/features earlier in the year too.

David

Edited by daw (log)

• 3 weeks later...