• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony's, Leeds

next was a new dish, 3 roast sprats with a japanese mushroom (who's name escapes me but the best explanation is that it looks like an exclamation mark), also fine diced shallots and a dressing, very nice and nicely salted.

i htink they might be called enoki mushrooms.

turns out jack has taken all of your advice gary and we're eating at 3 york place on the friday, anthony's on the saturday and staying at the boutique hotel that completely escapes my mind now.

so, other than eat, what does one do in leeds? any recommendations for cocktails? any really fabby shops that i don't want to miss?

sounds like a job well done.

42 the calls was probably the original 'boutique' hotel. Quebecs is newer but i'm sure you'll be fine at 42.

as andy mentions it is next door (and part of) 44 the calls brasserie and pool court the michelin starred place, i haven't eaten there for years but the guys from no3 and anthony's have been recently and liked it.

Leeds is quite a small city centre so you'll be able to wander around quite easily, for shopping the obvious haunt is harvey nichols and the victoria quarter which houses the better shops and also in the streets surrounding it eg a good cookshop peter maturi, flannels good clothes, hugo boss etc.

for cocktails is a bigger issue! Your best bet and near no3 is to head to greek street there you will find a street full of bars, the living room does have an extensive list how good they are i don't know! if you go past living room on your left to the end of the street, turn left and virtually opposite is a bar called firefly which is quite nice too.

Ask denis at no3 he's well plugged into the leeds scene so will probably be able to give you some better recs.

www.itchycity.co.uk might give you some more ideas.

let me know if you require any further info

gary

you don't win friends with salad

Leeds is quite a small city centre so you'll be able to wander around quite easily, for shopping the obvious haunt is harvey nichols and the victoria quarter which houses the better shops and also in the streets surrounding it eg a good cookshop peter maturi, flannels good clothes, hugo boss etc.

There's also a restaurant / gallery at the top of flannels which my sister and I tried yesterday, and which was very good. Think I have read that Simon Gueller is some sort of consultant. In any case, the "fine apple tart" I had was very fine indeed - as were the scallop starters.

Umm ... shopping wise, you could also head towards the Corn Exchange which is a beautiful building, and some quirky shops - good for an hour or so. More importantly, there are some nice bars / cafes near there ... e.g. Arts (v laid back), Norman (v cool and trendy), Oportos, Velvet, etc etc

Cocktails, FWIW, Mojo's do the best cocktails in town (had a lethal lynchburg lemonade there - marvellous!) but is probably too far and not the right style? The Wardrobe (near the West Yorkshire playhouse) has always done pretty good vodka cocktails from memory. Or I think someone has already mentioned room which is bang next door to Anthony's?

and if by some miracle it is a sunny day (bound to be since I will not be in Leeds that weekend) - you could always just head to Roundhay Park and lie on the grass, or visit Tropical World / Canal Gardens.

Apologies for using the general board for a personal message, but i can't seem to master the technology of that.

Message for Gary Marshall:

Gary,

Have you been to L'Enclume at Cartmel?

Paul Vallely

PS Glad you liked my piece on anthony's in the Independent

<delurk>

Been reading the site for a while, and eventually have joined up...after reading all of Gary's exhortations, me and Mrs Wooster rumbled along to Anthony's on Friday lunchtime.

There in front of us was a solo diner...I leaned across to Mrs W. and said 'bet that's the guy from the site'.

So I got to eat in Anthony's at the same time as Mr Marshall himself. I feel so honoured! He did seem to keep rushing out to make phone calls though...

And rather gorgeous it all was too. Especially the parmesan butter...

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

<delurk>

Been reading the site for a while, and eventually have joined up...after reading all of Gary's exhortations, me and Mrs Wooster rumbled along to Anthony's on Friday lunchtime.

There in front of us was a solo diner...I leaned across to Mrs W. and said 'bet that's the guy from the site'.

So I got to eat in Anthony's at the same time as Mr Marshall himself. I feel so honoured! He did seem to keep rushing out to make phone calls though...

And rather gorgeous it all was too. Especially the parmesan butter...

ha ha :biggrin:

glad you enjoyed it!

sorry about the phone, very annoying in restaurants.

what did you have?

gary

thanks for all the suggestions guys. am wondering if we could compile an egullet guide to leeds? might be a useful resource.

never mind rough guides, give me a gary guide any day.

thank you

the problem is that at the grand old age of 34 i don't have the same inclination to be out and about in leeds on a night :biggrin:

i read some of the guides to leeds and think 'i have never heard of this bar/club'

as you've probably gathered, i'm quite fond of anthony's/no3 and quite stuck in my ways. other than la grillade for a bit of steak and red wine action or pizza express for an american hot i don't really go anywhere else :biggrin:

(oh and i'm even worse in my hometown of york, hence a determined effort to try a few new places these last weeks :biggrin: )

gary

I had the veloute of potato and the Salt Cod, Mrs W. had the pig cheek and the pork. The Salt Cod was quite special IMHO...the melding with the risotto worked really well. The mrs. muchly enjoyed too.

Only enough time on this visit for the set menu...next time will be longer, and we'll see if it overtakes Pool Court in our affections.

Only slight complaints, a leetle too long before dessert arrived (though nice that they asked at the beginning how long we had for lunch), and the music. Now, I'm a jazz fan. Jamie 'foghorn leghorn' Cullum is patently not, and we shouldn't be subject to his abuses while trying to enjoy a meal.

But then I hate the whole idea of music in restaurants.

And your phone was considerably less annoying than the perfume being worn by one of the other diners...

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, long time reader first time poster.

Wonderful meal last Friday in Anthony's. Squeezed in at 21:30. The service didn't suffer for the late sitting tho'.

We had amuses of ?reconstructed/deconstructed pina colada with a coconut foam - very light and airy and a pleasant palate cleanser followed by a kind of rice paper wafer with paprika. The third consisted of marinated sprat fillets with an oil made with roasted garlic (and other things but memory is a little hazy) - this was utterly fantastic.

Meals were the anjou squab and the duck with caramel chocolate bonbons for myself and langoustine with fennel tea (a real high point) and monkfish for my good lady wife.

Pre dessert followed of raspberry sorbet with white chocolate shavings - very sharp and captured a real fresh rasp. flavour.

Puds of tarte tatin and cheeses, Mrs Bells being the best.

Upstairs we had an interesting boston beer and a couple of whiskies and a good chat with Anthony the elder.

All in all, a great experience. Slightly disappointed at the lack of jacketless potatoes and upside - down guiness but they'll be back - as will we :biggrin:

Plutocrat

Edited by Plutocrat (log)
Gordon Wallace

Last minute trip to Leeds on Saturday, on the cancellations list but not holding our breath.

Last couple of times have been to the Room but although good is not mind blowing, any other recs if Anthony's doesnt come through? Or any secret ways of getting in (Late is not a problem, wont be in Leeds until 8 anyway!)

there's only 25-odd covers so if they're full there's probably not a lot that can be done.

but if you call No 3 york place you might be able to get in there (0113 245 9922)

I guarantee you will have a good time there, great food, great wine list, great service. - see the thread for more

head and shoulders above room

gary

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Slightly disappointed at the lack of jacketless potatoes and upside - down guiness but they'll be back - as will we :biggrin:

They're back! well the upside down guiness is anyway since I had one at lunchtime on Saturday. Still no jacketless potato for me yet - so yet another excuse to go back (like I really need one!)

Impeccable food and service as always. Having scanned the posts again, I can see that the paprika rice wafer with its melt in the mouth quality has already been described. I didn't get the sprat fillets though - my third amuse was the most etherally thin slices of salmon (possibly smoked?) on a some bacon and something else which escapes my memory. Was so delicious that I was very pleased that my friend doesn't eat seafood so I got to have hers as well!

I had the crab salad as starter which was gorgeous in taste and appearance, followed by the salt cod and pork canneloni. Friend had the set lunch so had the belly pork on quinoa and coffee panna cotta. think she was quite pleased with her main - on that basis that when the plates arrived, she looked at hers, then mine, then hers and said triumphantly "Ha! I win!!"

I had the legendary tarte tatin as dessert, purely for research you understand (see tatin thread in cooking), and was very happy girl indeed.

So - another great lunch. Bumped into Tony Sr on the way out (may have committed a faux pas when I referred to him as this - so apologies!) and had a nice chat. Think the best story he told us was that the manager of El Bulli had called them to say one of their customers had come back from Leeds / UK, having visited Anthony's and said "you really must try this amazing restaurant! - did you learn from them?" Also sounds like Anthony's are sending their customers to El Bulli also so Leeds may yet become some European dining capital yet!

Cheers

Yin

X

I have reservations to Anthony's for Sat night which (sob sob) I can't make. Would anyone like them?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

already going :biggrin:

will report back in full detail, just so you know what you missed!

cheers

gary

any more provocation like that and the Territorial Army will be here before we know it! :biggrin:

Looking forward to the report on Monday though....

another fantastic menu at Anthony's on saturday

will write it up in full when i have a mo & the full details, but a few teasers...

beet-root sherbet (as in the root of the beet i think)

squab & crab sausage with pomme puree

razor clams and garlic mousse

artichoke stuffed with foie gras

chocolate raviolis.

once again some real technique and exectution on display not a wrongly cooked dish over 10 odd courses for 5 people!

cheers

gary

will write it up in full when i have a mo & the full details, but a few teasers...

Sounds great. Making the trip up from London to go on Friday - would love to hear about the new things to look out for.

A la carte has been recently updated.

must admit didn't actually see the menu on saturday so not sure what's changed, squab with chocolate bon-bon is very good, i think that's on, as is the salt cod & pork belly cannelloni. white onion risotto with parmesan air, another must try.

a lot of the really unusual 'bits' are amuses so it's what tony's been working on that day.

don't all order the same so you get to sample as much as possible....

enjoy!

cheers

gary

Afternoon all,

I have been following this chat board since it opened. I'm v.pleased to a quality resturant in Yorkshire.

I'm also booked in to try out the new menu on Friday. I hope the changes are as good as Gary says they are.

One thing not really mentioned much so far is what the Wine List is like. Any recomendations?

Thanks

Robin