• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anthony's, Leeds

Sorry guys, I don't get it... is there an Antony's Fanclub patrol in these forums?

All I am saying is that olive ice-creams at the like have been done in the 70s-80s and were never a success. I have tried some of I have not tasted any of his food, but his flavour combinations remind me of some silly nouvelle cuisine combinations. He might be such a good chef, that he could pull it off. I very much doubt it though...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to getting myself down to Anthonys today. Had a smashing lieu day in Leeds, got 7:15am train from Lancaster :wacko: and sat back and enjoyed the ride. Saw a random bit of graffetti on the way that just read "Feed the goat". Yup, don't know what you can say to that! Got to the place early as I got fed up shopping, they were fine letting me in, table for one not exactly going to throw them off kilter. I arrived 12:30ish, was booked in for 1:30. The location is not how I imagined it, in fact, I walked right past it on my way to town from train station. The bar/lounge area is nice, typical modern, brown sofas/chairs.

gallery_58357_5844_170561.jpg

Got myself a glass of cloudy bay sparkling as I was on holiday!!! Got some olives, which I hate. They had 3 menus, Fixed lunch, ALC and tasting. ALC was £42 for 3 courses, tasting £60. I went for the lunch menu, which had 3/3/2 (plus cheeses) for £23.95. Then a waiter brought some pork scratchings in a little chip pan type thing, with some newspaper in. They were lush, only had a chance to have 2 before I was whisked away downstairs. Again, I thought it might have been bigger downstairs, I guess 30 covers??

gallery_58357_5844_236906.jpg

Got settled in with my glass of coke (Cloudy bay had taken affect, was a bit light headed. I know, lightweight) First up, amuse:

gallery_58357_5844_73133.jpg

Sorry for crap photo. Tis Chicken wing, apple foam and pistachio. This ensemble was tiny. Massive plate, weeny bit of chicken wing, and 1, yes 1 pistachio. Tasted nice though!! The apple came through well. Just because you put it on a massive plate doestnt mean that we can't see its a speck of a portion. I know, its an amuse, but hey!

Next, starter (Via bread):

gallery_58357_5844_49620.jpg

3 butters, roasted, parmesan , and something else, I forget, ronnie corbet maybe?

gallery_58357_5844_27469.jpg

Jeruselm artichoke veloute, smoked haddock. Again, the plate arrived, saw 3 flakes of haddock, then waitress came and poured on veloute. There were some seeds (they are not cockroaches!) in there as well, not sure what they were. I'm shit. Twas nice, veloute especsh! Haddock was gone in 2 swipes. Hit my teeth twice on this course steering the spoon into my mouth, bloody fizz!!

Main:

gallery_58357_5844_238270.jpg

Lamb, lamb sweetbreads, butternut squash puree, potatoes (those cubes at the back). Lamb was nice and pink, tasty, decent portion (at last!).

Sweet.

gallery_58357_5844_176226.jpg

Ginger mousse, rhubard sorbet.

Was more like a parfait, the mousse. Thought it might be a bit gingery, but was quite restrained. The rhubarb itself was nice and tender, the sorbet was fine.

Overall, was a bit underwhelmed. Was really looking for some fireworks, like we saw on GBM, it was a quite restrained. I know I was going on a fixed price menu, but most people that were there (6 others, plus a table of 4 when I left, not bad for a tues lunch) were on the same menu. As I sat there, it did not strike me as a 'destination'. The food was very good, perhaps he has reined in the millions of ingredients per dish (the bee pollen dish was on the ALC I saw). If your in/near leeds, of course go, it is good, it just didnt blow me away. I did enjoy myself, perhaps I need to go again proper ALC/tasting sometime. So there, stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!!

PS Soz if a bit long!

Edited by spanielking (log)

Sorry for crap photo. Tis Chicken wing, apple foam and pistachio. This ensemble was tiny. Massive plate, weeny bit of chicken wing, and 1, yes 1 pistachio. Tasted nice though!! The apple came through well. Just because you put it on a massive plate doestnt mean that we can't see its a speck of a portion. I know, its an amuse, but hey!

Is that really a piece of chicken shaped like an aileron?!

Way to show off your engineering skills, Frenchman. It's a piece of chicken shaped like a square.

I had to google 'Aileron', yes, it does a bit, not sure that was the intention. And, yes, I think it was on te way out of leeds I saw "Feed the goat". It all makes sense, kind of. I bet some geek has that tatooed on them! I like the thought someone has taken time to write 'Feed the goat' on a bridge! Beets Gouranga.

Everyday is a school day!

• 1 month later...

Had a superb lunch at Anthonys at Flannels the other week, three top notch courses for £18 can't be bad, in fact, thinking about it, I had four course as I asked for pudding and cheese and they didn't charge extra.

Felt more impressed by the cooking there than at the main restaurant which is slightly odd. The only downside was we had to wait far too long for anyone to ask us if we wanted a drink before we ordered, apart from that, service was as good as the food.

• 4 months later...

Tony and Jason Atherton and chef from noma copenhagen talking abou their time at el bulli on radio 4 last week.

can't seem to copy the link but it was callsd the el bulli effect on the food programme, available on iplayer until tomorrow.

The El Bulli Effect

Sheila Dillon explores the influence of the famous restaurant El Bulli. How, from its base in north-east Spain, has chef Ferran Adria been able to influence a generation of chefs? Broadcast on:BBC Radio 4, 12:32pm Sunday 2nd November Duration: 25 minutes Available until: 12:59pm Sunday 9th November Categories:Factual, Food & DrinkGo to Food Programme site

you don't win friends with salad

Tony and Jason Atherton and chef from noma copenhagen talking abou their time at el bulli on radio 4 last week.

can't seem to copy the link but it was  callsd  the el bulli effect on the food programme, available on iplayer until tomorrow.

The El Bulli Effect

Sheila Dillon explores the influence of the famous restaurant El Bulli. How, from its base in north-east Spain, has chef Ferran Adria been able to influence a generation of chefs? Broadcast on:BBC Radio 4, 12:32pm Sunday 2nd November Duration: 25 minutes Available until: 12:59pm Sunday 9th November Categories:Factual, Food & DrinkGo to Food Programme site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00f5...l_Bulli_Effect/

• 2 months later...

A truely excellent dinner at anthony's last night, the demands of their new venture the piazza are certainly not being felt at the mothership, tony and olga both in, and on good form, and god knows where they get the energy from but after doing a full service they were heading back to the piazza to make more stock for the pattiserie at the piazza!

there were several standouts seared tuna on ox tongue with horseradish, a perfectly cooked red mullet with filo crab sandwich and a great apple dessert with pork fil and sage ice cream, though the menu is changing from tuesday so it'll be all new.

the attention to detail remains the same, for example they've invested in a new coffee machine (about the same cost as a small car) had their own coffee ground and then subjected it to a half degree at a time test to find the optimum temperature for the espresso, and it makes a fabulous coffee with excellent crema.

tony has plenty up his sleeve for anthonys in 09 the piazza has not diminished his love of creating new ideas for anthony's , it'll be an interesting year.

A truely excellent dinner at anthony's last night, the demands of their new venture the piazza are certainly not being felt at the mothership, tony and olga both in, and on good form, and god knows where they get the energy from but after doing a full service they were heading back to the piazza to make more stock for the pattiserie at the piazza!

there were several standouts seared tuna on ox tongue with horseradish, a perfectly cooked red mullet with filo crab sandwich and a great apple dessert with pork fil and sage ice cream, though the menu is changing from tuesday so it'll be all new.

the attention to detail remains the same, for example they've invested in a new coffee machine (about the same cost as a small car) had their own coffee ground and then subjected it to a half degree at a time test to find the optimum temperature for the espresso, and it makes a fabulous coffee with excellent crema.

tony has plenty up his sleeve for anthonys in 09 the piazza has not diminished his love of creating new ideas for anthony's , it'll be an interesting year.

When a resturant is pumping that much time and effort into a business, how can michelin not be taking note?

God I need to visit. :sad:

From what i've been told,it may be a disapointing start to the year ,watch this space........

they're not expecting a star if that's what you're refering to, so there'll be little disappointment but quite happy to have one i'm sure.

all i'm interested in is what they serve me, if it has a star that won't change what i get to eat, tony seemed invigorated and full of ideas for anthony's so i'm looking forward to the new menu.

they're not expecting a star if that's what you're refering to, so there'll be little disappointment but quite happy to have one i'm sure.

all i'm interested in is what  they serve me, if it has a star that won't change what i get to eat, tony seemed invigorated and full of ideas for anthony's so i'm looking forward to the new menu.

Not expecting, or just not bothered? Have they resigned themselves to the michelin system, along the lines of what was being discussed in the other thread about location and various other things.

I absolutely agree, if what they serve is still high standard, then michelin doesn't really matter. The point seems more that they deserve the public recognition for the quality of what they do.

Had a superb lunch at Anthonys at Flannels the other week, three top notch courses for £18 can't be bad, in fact, thinking about it, I had four course as I asked for pudding and cheese and they didn't charge extra.

Apologies for my super-slow reactions...I had a great meal as well at Anthony's at Flannel's a couple of months ago, and thought the lunch was great value...I can remember a perfect mushroom veloute starter and an extremely cute quail main.

The bizarre thing about it though is that the place also does standard baguettes and salads for the casual shoppers so while I was tucking into this lovely lunch, a couple of ladies were nibbling sandwiches the next table over.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone been to Anthony's since the ALC changed? I have had pretty much all the old ALC & the new Lunch menu, but the new ALC sounds really interesting, some of the new dishes sound wonderful :smile:

I think I will be going in around 4 weeks but would love to hear some thoughts if anyone has already been.

(On a side note: I assume the current tasting menu is composed from the new ALC too?)

We went at the end of January and had a very pleasant evening.

Like others on here we had eaten our way through the previous ALC and enjoyed the new one very much. For me the venison was a highlight, and the belly pork was also enjoyed.

We will be back Easter weekend when I think attention will swap to the fish dishes

David

Edited by daw (log)

• 4 months later...
We went at the end of January and had a very pleasant evening.

Like others on here we had eaten our way through the previous ALC and enjoyed the new one very much. For me the venison was a highlight, and the belly pork was also enjoyed.

We will be back Easter weekend when I think attention will swap to the fish dishes

David

Oh dear, has no one hear been to Anthony's since 21 March? We go again in the week

David

yes, for my birthday in early april!

unfortunatley can't remember much, it was a rather long affair, finishing in the piazza after much champagne and for the girls a manicure that olga arranged for them whilst the boys talked boy stuff with T and drank raspberry beer.